BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #45
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Yeah, that's why I wrapped mine. It's expensive to do a full car custom wrap (protective film, not vinyl), but it's totally worth it (to me).
Yea protective wrap is so much more, would love to get that done as well. Wouldn't feel that bad parking the car in a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #46
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
PPF is a double edged sword. If it gets damaged, it has to be replaced too. At the track, some guy reversed into my front bumper. The film protected the bumper, but costs $500 to get new film.
The keying in my car is so deep (all the way to the metal) that I don't believe the film would have done much to protect the car. Film/wrap may have made the keying more difficult and thus lead to a lesser amount of damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #47
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Happened Again! While my wife and I were out to dinner (in her car). Unfortunately, the camera didn't catch it. Fortunately, it was to the same panel and before the repair.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #48
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Happened Again! While my wife and I were out to dinner (in her car). Unfortunately, the camera didn't catch it. Fortunately, it was to the same panel and before the repair.
That is unbelieveable! You may want to consider setting up an additional camera, especially after you get the car repaired.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #49
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Reminds me of the story of a guy with a brand new Merc SLK in Luxembourg a decade or so ago. At night some lowlife keyed all body panels of the car. The Merc was repaired: full body repaint. One of the first days after the repairs the lowlife apparently spotted the car again and keyed all body panels again (unlikely that it was someone else). Truly disgusting.

Don't know whether it was some kinda vengeance act by an enemy, a creditor or an ex, or whether it was pure jealousy vandalism. I also don't know how I would personally react if I would notice the lowlife performing his second act - a situation which risks to appeal to unleashing basic instincts of anger ("No more Mister Nice Guy").
      02-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #50
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep

The police interviewed my neighbors this afternoon stating that some cars in the area had been vandalized and if they had observed anything. After their interview with the person that I suspect is keying the car, they told me that they are sure that is who is doing it but that we need to find someway to prove it. They have given me several suggestions as to how to catch them in the act (sucks for the car). Hopefully, the inteview will have a "positive effect" vs the potential "negative effect."
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #51
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Just move! He/she is starting to like it.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #52
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
The police interviewed my neighbors this afternoon stating that some cars in the area had been vandalized and if they had observed anything. After their interview with the person that I suspect is keying the car, they told me that they are sure that is who is doing it but that we need to find someway to prove it. They have given me several suggestions as to how to catch them in the act (sucks for the car). Hopefully, the inteview will have a "positive effect" vs the potential "negative effect."
mate would it be safe for you to approach that neighbour, suggest that the police has indicated that he/she to be offender and then ask if it's true. Done calmly. It would probably bring an objection but it would put him/her on notice and not think they have gotten away with it after the police interview.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #53
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I have to show this thread to the people who think I am crazy because I have never parked my 1M in a public place...
2015 Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #54
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
mate would it be safe for you to approach that neighbour, suggest that the police has indicated that he/she to be offender and then ask if it's true. Done calmly. It would probably bring an objection but it would put him/her on notice and not think they have gotten away with it after the police interview.
I would do exactly the opposite. Approach the neighbor in a smart and constructive way: give him/her the feeling during a serene talk that you need his/her help, that you definitely count on her/him to catch the lowlife. Don't forget to add that the culprit, once caught, risks criminal prosecution and refunding all costs.

It's subtle and ironic but remains elegant and courteous. If your neighbor is not the culprit (s)he will normally have some understanding for your situation and you did not insult him/her (because you did not tell him/her about the suspicions). If your neighbor is the culprit (s)he will normally understand that (s)he's at risk of being caught. The culprit will start to doubt whether you are naïve (really not suspecting him) or, on second thought, smarter than (s)he initially thought (notice call - warning).

Or forget about all this, call your neighbor 'Friendo' and ask him/her what's the most (s)he ever lost in a coin toss...

02-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #55
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 1M

Quote:
WTF, you have got to be joking!!!!!!

Man, if I knew it was my neighbor doing this act, I would not be able to control myself, I would definitely confront the neighbor and he would definitely get the message that enough is enough. It probably would not be the right thing to do but I just don't think I could let him keep getting away with it.

I am getting angry hearing about this.

Good luck and I hope this idiot makes the wrong move and gets caught.
11' BMW 1M
15' Mercedes GL 350 (wife's daily)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #56
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
I would be seriously pissed now.

It would be so satisfying to catch the person in the act, but the police interview may very well have prevented them from doing it again.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #57
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Sociopath.
Appreciate 0