BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2022, 05:59 AM   #1
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep
Drives: F10 550i | E82 135i

My new 135i

Hi all, so I finally picked up the car today. I'd been looking to add an E82 to the stable for several years now. Post with my journey here:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1877841

It turned out to be a rainy day and I had a few engagements to get to today so haven't spent a lot of time with it or driven much yet - but planning to later tonight to get gas - and of course, at a gas station very far away ;-)

She now joins the F10 and R56.

I cleaned the interior lightly this evening and just getting a better look at everything. Tires were low on pressure so got them to 2.6/2.4 bar for now and will adjust later to fine tune. They are on Yokohama Advans which are decent, used them on the E39 before but it will be changed with PS4s's soon. I run 3.0 bar on the 550 19's - I like pressure a bit higher on the Michelins.

The M-Sport stock wheels are in great shape - zero curb rash - wow. But, there is one medium chip on one of the spokes on the rear right. Also, some amber colored 'specs' around the spokes which I guess may be either the coating fading or just old baked-on residue. Will address later but hardly noticeable. The previous owner put on the ///M stem caps which aren't really my taste.

One very, very welcome surprise was on the interior trim. Not sure I posted it before but one thing I didn't like about this car was the carbon fiber interior trim as I prefer the standard silver/brushed aluminum. I figured I'd change it anyway to something like BMW Individual Birch Anthracite which is amazing. Then I noticed when looking closely around the center console, that the carbon fiber was actually wrapped! So I removed a section revealing the original trim. I'm not really sure what kind it is but it's not matte silver, more of a semi-shiny aluminum. I'll go to town later on the interior but hoping the original is not marred assuming it was wrapped soon after original purchase.

Also, another pleasant surprise is that the sound system was quite ok actually. I have the base system (I'm presuming) with no tweeters in the door mirrors so wasn't expecting even half decent sound. I kept an old Pioneer powered subwoofer from my E39 - but not sure I'll need it. Looking forward to checking out the audio side of things - maybe not quite a full BSW route but definitely something.

Going to degrease what I can in the engine bay this weekend and see if there are signs of leakage after driving a bit - but just a quick check today, can't say I see anything immediately. I do feel the battery needs changing. Date stamp is 2017 and the car cranks 3~4 times before firing up.

So.. more fun to come I'm sure - thanks for reading this and look forward to any of your contributions or comments..
Attached Images

2013 F10 550i M-Sport | AC Schnitzer Springs | CMP Chassis Brace | PS4S

2011 E82 135i M-Sport | Evolution Racewerks CP | Stock | Stock | Stock
Appreciate 4
Fishee1002.50
bobowar1353479.00
Afam28298.00
      07-13-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 05:18 AM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Congrats and welcome to the asylum. Car looks nice. Did they wrap the entire interior trim?
      07-16-2022, 12:08 AM   #4
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

^^ Thanks. Ordered my straight-jacket already...

After several days of of driving I noticed it's still taking a few cranks to start. Cold starts are better than a second start after a 10~15min. drive. New battery came in today as the current one is 5+ years old so will be changing it tomorrow as we are expecting better weather.

I used Bimmerlink and Bimmercode to check the battery. What is surprising is that it shows it reading a 70Ah battery when in fact, the battery is an 80Ah Genuine BMW battery. Perhaps it wasn't registered properly and the original was 70Ah and that might be causing the crank issue if it's not getting the right charge. RealOEM shows a factory part# for a 70Ah battery for this E82. Let's see if this improves. Will run a fuel system cleaner in the tank too.

Secondly, the previous owner did LED upgrades all over the interior and 'boosted output' license plate lights. I never liked the LED look as it's too clinical. Thankfully, in the trunk, I found a box with the LED light packaging and inside, the original stock bulbs so will be changing those back.

I'm ok with the Angel Eye upgrades as I would have done this anyway with Angel iBrights (do they make them for the E82?) or something.

Hoping for a sunny day or at least no rain as it has been raining literally everyday since I bought her.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 05:56 AM   #5
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Rained half the weekend but got a bit done.

Removed all the carbon fiber wrap on the interior trim. Luckily, it revealed brushed aluminum in good shape minus some small dings on the drivers handle. Cleaned up the steering wheel and interior. Before and After below.

Read up about the risks of blowing the FRM module so thought real hard about replacing the battery myself. But, this is my semi-project car I figured I have all the tools and battery - so I just had to do it - very carefully. All done and works, no errors! And in the process learned how to 'de-code' the Varta date stamp readings...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 07:55 AM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Seems like the CF wrap was done pretty well but certainly if you prefer the aluminum (I think I would too) it's good to get it off. I love the pictures, I don't think I've seen a right hand drive 135i - ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #7
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Thanks. Yes, it was a very good job on the wrap - literally didn't know it was until one of the edges came off on the ash tray cover flip door.

Some would definitely prefer that over the aluminum but I just always disliked the look of carbon fiber.

Took if for a quick spin tonight around some country roads - was great, this thing handles the curves well.. Getting acclimatized after 20 years of driving auto! Clutch stop has been added to the list to tune in the clutch travel a little better. Maybe a CDV delete down the road.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 07:44 AM   #8
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Wonderful weather this weekend and I had planned to replace the spark plugs+coils and lubricate the gear shifter.

As usual, leading up to the weekend, checked all the videos for spark plug replacement on the N55. There are a lot of good ones out there especially the one with Gareth from FCP.

Although coils and plugs arrived on time, needed a few more parts to prep so decided to kill the plans until I had everything. Most notably, that plastic vent hose pipe that cracks when you look at it, and not having a spare E Torx strut mount bracket bolt. I later figured out it's a one-time use bolt. Ordered everything from FCP so will tackle this later soon.

On the vent hose, Real OEM lists 2 parts - one with and one without the blow-by heater and I have no idea which one I've got. I think I ordered the right one as I can make out part numbers stamped on the plastic hose currently mounted which shows '7584 128' so figured that means part# 1112 7584 128 as listed in Real OEM.

Not letting the day go to waste, went ahead and opened up the shifter to see what was up. Old grease gummed up - no wonder it wasn't feeling great. Cleaned and got it lubed with silicone grease along with portions of the linkages of what I could access. Much smoother now. Also managed to pull off the stock knob without breaking anything thank goodness.

Now looking forward to the ZHP knob which I've wanted for a while and will mount and drive once it arrives. Also got the Burger Clutch Stop from ECS on the way - heard that does wonders in getting rid of the extra play.

So, all in all, not a wasted weekend. Topped it off with a nice Tempura and Soba dinner!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 08:51 AM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I did the vent hose when I swapped coils too, but mine turned out to be fine. Then again I've only got 35k miles so maybe it's more temperature exposure over time and not just time.

Love my ZHP knob, did that ages ago and actually just replaced it so it'd look new again. Never did the clutch stop, I just don't think you need it. Then again I've been driving stick for like 30 +
years. Give it a try of course.
Appreciate 1
jwolf63.00
      07-25-2022, 09:19 AM   #10
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I did the vent hose when I swapped coils too, but mine turned out to be fine. Then again I've only got 35k miles so maybe it's more temperature exposure over time and not just time.

Love my ZHP knob, did that ages ago and actually just replaced it so it'd look new again. Never did the clutch stop, I just don't think you need it. Then again I've been driving stick for like 30 +
years. Give it a try of course.

I was going to chance it with the plastic but - murphy. Also, needed that torx bolt too. Mine looks like it might be ok but I don't even want to touch it. I changed air filters on the 550 recently and had to gently move some plastic O2 connector brackets and they literally crumbled at the touch.

On the M-Perforated knob, thought I really liked it on day one but after driving a little, I find the rectangular shape not quite fitting + all the rave reviews of the ZHP and I love the way it looks. Should be here in about a week.

Also, got a new grounding strip to see if that improves the semi-slow cranking. With the new battery it's somewhat better but mine looks like it's corroding/corroded with a green tint. $45 for a 6" piece of wire!

Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 11:30 AM   #11
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

will the ZHP knob fit the existing boot? as I recall, the perforated knob and boot are all one continuous piece / connected

interesting to see rt hand drive, that would be fun to attempt
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #12
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt10768 View Post
will the ZHP knob fit the existing boot? as I recall, the perforated knob and boot are all one continuous piece / connected
It does. The boot opening slips over the shaft, the knob goes next and sort of snaps on. Different parts that are not attached together.

Sounded dirty.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #13
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Ok so, re spark plugs - I ordered the ZR5TPP33 but understand that there have been reports of misfires etc if you don't use ZR5TPP33-S. (circa 2017~2019)

I've also read that ZR5TPP33-S is now discontinued and ZR5TPP33 supersedes it but not sure if that happened recently like 2020~2021.

The ZR5TPP33 I'm planning to install are the 'Double Platinum' of course, without the BMW stamp.

I guess I'm still planning to do it this weekend. I don't have any engine problems at all - just refreshing.

views?

oh and the ZHP knob arrived - this things feels great in the hand, will install over the weekend.

Many Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 09:56 AM   #14
mkeiser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 128i 6mt m sport

I can't help re: spark plugs but just wanted to say that zhp knock is slick!!!! Definitely like the look over the stock m sport one. What's the part number on that?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #15
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeiser View Post
I can't help re: spark plugs but just wanted to say that zhp knock is slick!!!! Definitely like the look over the stock m sport one. What's the part number on that?
#25117896886 for the knob. It feels really great - the M Perforated one isn't bad but there is a difference.

Scheidmann BMW had the best price ($70) followed by ECS ($94) then FCP ($98) or thereabouts. I went with FCP as I was buying other items from them and the lifetime guarantee.

Appreciate 1
mkeiser434.00
      07-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #16
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
I was going to chance it with the plastic but - murphy. Also, needed that torx bolt too. Mine looks like it might be ok but I don't even want to touch it. I changed air filters on the 550 recently and had to gently move some plastic O2 connector brackets and they literally crumbled at the touch.

On the M-Perforated knob, thought I really liked it on day one but after driving a little, I find the rectangular shape not quite fitting + all the rave reviews of the ZHP and I love the way it looks. Should be here in about a week.

Also, got a new grounding strip to see if that improves the semi-slow cranking. With the new battery it's somewhat better but mine looks like it's corroding/corroded with a green tint. $45 for a 6" piece of wire!

Hey,

This may be leading you in the wrong direction since you have a 135i, but on my 128i I also noticed slower cranking. Battery was replaced two years ago, so my assumption was either the ground strap or a tired starter motor.

My 1er is not a garage queen, gets driven daily and in winter, and is currently sitting at 288,000km.

So, about three months ago the car threw a code for the crankshaft position sensor. To this point the car was running fine and showed no engine codes, only noticeable fault with the car was the semi-slow cranking.

Although a tight space to work in, super easy to replace and can be accessed by just removing the air box. You will need a very long extension to reach the bolt holding the sensor in place

After replacement the car starts much quicker, like a new car.

Hope this helps!

(Also, attached are images of my high mile 1er )
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-30-2022, 06:23 AM   #17
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetstoj View Post
Hey,

This may be leading you in the wrong direction since you have a 135i, but on my 128i I also noticed slower cranking. Battery was replaced two years ago, so my assumption was either the ground strap or a tired starter motor...
Thanks for that tip. I'm going to try the ground strip tomorrow if weather holds up. On the fence with the plugs as I may order the genuine ones and keep the ones I just got as spare.

BTW - nice pictures, great shine on that black. I had black before but Sapphire Black Metallic on my E39 - my first and last black car - so hard to maintain that liquid look. What do you use?

For those wondering, the M-Perforated shift knob is lighter than the ZHP knob by a smidge.

Going to install tomorrow, but gotta find a way to get the leather boot to align before I hammer the knob down.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #18
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
Thanks for that tip. I'm going to try the ground strip tomorrow if weather holds up. On the fence with the plugs as I may order the genuine ones and keep the ones I just got as spare.

BTW - nice pictures, great shine on that black. I had black before but Sapphire Black Metallic on my E39 - my first and last black car - so hard to maintain that liquid look. What do you use?

For those wondering, the M-Perforated shift knob is lighter than the ZHP knob by a smidge.

Going to install tomorrow, but gotta find a way to get the leather boot to align before I hammer the knob down.
I think this will be my last black car. It is such a pain to keep clean, haha.

It is black-sapphire metallic!

I just use turtle wax carnauba once a month, and after washes I apply turtle wax ceramic spray about once a week or so. Found it to be the easiest to apply in comparison to others.

Also, currently running PS4S' and they are wonderful. Went from 205's to 225's all around and they give a square-er look rather than the stretched look from factory at 205.

Last edited by nevetstoj; 07-31-2022 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:14 AM   #19
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Work has been busy but the main crux to progress has been the shift boot. Believe it or not, it's damn near impossible to find a right hand drive shift boot replacement.

The original leather boot doesn't have enough material to make the 'crater' fold butt up against the new ZHP knob and left too much of a gap. Since I want to leave the original unit in tact needed something with a second plastic frame. Literally crawled all the usual places - no dice. Ended up purchasing a generic faux leather shift boot with enough length to wrap around the half circle shape of the mounting frame (most generic ones aren't long enough so this one took some time to find as well). Next, I stumbled on a RHD E82 boot on like page 26 of the Amazon search. So ordered that too - but took 2 weeks to deliver.

Here are all three. 2nd and 3rd pictures show the generic boot that includes a plastic ring which I though I could transfer over to the new replacement boot.

Finally tonight I had a chance to pop in the replacement shift boot with plastic frame into the car and even without the plastic ring, sits nicely with the ZHP knob nearly fully seated in the shifter stalk.

I did a crude 'crater' style fold over and I have to say, it's not bad. Given my incredible OCD I'm still contemplating whether to go with the crater fold and call it a day or try to feed the leather into the ZHP knob. Here are pictures with the crater style inward fold going from N, R, 1~6th gears.

Lots of pictures. If you are on dial-up 1) apologies in advance 2) upgrade your connection.. :-)

What do you think? It's not bad - can you live with something like this? I want to be comfortable before I hammer the knob down hopefully once and for all..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #20
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Also a couple of observations/research while waiting for the shift boot to arrive.

1) ZR5TPP33 vs ZR5TPP33-S spark plugs. After I purchased the Bosch ZR5TPP33's I found on the forums that these haven't worked well for some folks. For peace of mind, I ordered a set of ZR5TPP33-S from FCP which came in a few days ago.

Decided to inspect both to see differences in hopes of understanding what the fuss was about. With just a physical viewing, they are nearly identical including the tip/gap. However, I noticed the 'S' version factory BMW plugs have a slightly longer thread pattern which is clearly visible. Bosch Double Platinum on left and BMW factory plug on right. Is that what is making the difference? Note it's not the camera angle etc, it is very apparent that the threaded portion is longer on the factory plug.

2) Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe. For some reason, in all my research last month, I never came across this unit. Hearing good reviews and feedback. In contact with Fred at ER about getting one shipped over here. Was going the VRSF route but what I liked about the ER unit was they include the mounting tab securing it similar to the original unit and also use a slightly different design on the lower mounting which apparently secures it better than just a silicone elbow. Price is a bit more but I don't want this thing popping off and it also sounds like a pain to get in with the usual makes. (VRSF, Cobb, Burger, AA all use the same connecting boot) while ER's is different and possibly better designed.
Attached Images

Last edited by demas; 08-17-2022 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:53 AM   #21
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetstoj View Post
It is black-sapphire metallic!

Really? That looks like Jet Black - but of course, I never got mine to shine like that for longer than 10 mins!

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 10:26 PM   #22
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Good weather yesterday to install a number of parts purchased over the past several weeks.

Plugs/Coils, ER Chargepipe, Air Filters and grounding strap. That was a lot for one day and ran out of day light. Should have staggered it over a few days but rainy weather coming and work will pick up next week.

Removed undertray to access grounding cable and see oil around. Probably the oil pan gasket. Cleaned it all up will check situation in a few months. The original grounding strap looked better than I thought, it was discolored but not frayed.

Removed plugs which were Bosch Double Platinum without the BMW - so not original although the part number was ZR5TPP33-S. Dark brown/black dry soot covering the center electrode and insulator. The ground electrode has a light tan around the back side of the stem. All 6 had the same characteristics. No oil in any of the wells.

Late afternoon replaced the Charge pipe. The original unit deteriorated at the lip seam on the throttle body end as soon as I unmounted it. It was probably on it's way out. The ER pipe fit ok but is not sitting flush in the throttle body but it stays in tight - there was really not a way to get it flush completely without being angled right to fit in the lower hose. Have seen a number of videos with after market and they all seem to fit that way. I haven't pushed the car yet since the install.

It got dark and had a fun time fiddling back in the engine cover/shield thing and the lower cowl or housing - that thing is a real pain to get lined up.

Started it up, no 'bing!' and ran Bimmerlink to scan for errors - all clear. Of course, I need to drive around more today and push it some. The slow crank 'seemed' a little better but could be placebo. ie, I typically get a 'whir whir whir whir - start' and now it's 'whir whir whir - start'

Going for a longer drive later - and the journey continues.

Ended the night with some Taco's and a Sapporo Black Label

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mkeiser434.00
jwolf63.00