E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Editors of Autoweek review the E90 (drivers log)

06-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Editors of Autoweek review the E90 (drivers log)

2006 BMW 330i
DATE IN FLEET: May 6-23
AS-TESTED PRICE: $46,115
POWERTRAIN: 3.0-liter I6; rwd, six-speed manual
OUTPUT: 255 hp @ 6600 rpm, 220 lb-ft @ 2750 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 3417 lbs
FUEL MILEAGE (EPA combined/AW observed): 23.52 mpg/22.82 mpg

MANDEL: Holy egads! When all is said and done with this example of the mighty 3 Series, it’s going to set me back nearly $50,000 with tax and license on top of all the bells and whistles? While this is the top of the line—and while you can get an entry-level 2.5-liter for $30,995—it seems stiffly priced to someone not in the market. Interesting how it behaves both on the road and on the track. Its manners in either locale are as you would have expected: sure-footed and stable, a silky gearbox mated to a powerful engine. In looking at the new 3 Series’ performance capabilities, there is a new alpha male in the pack, and that goes for the competition as well as the car it replaces. This 3 delivered awesome fuel economy, and at significant highway speeds. I averaged 30.8 mpg from Pittsburgh to Detroit, a drive I did in little more than four hours and three pit stops. That’s sweet, especially for an inline six.

LUU: The new styling doesn’t look as chiseled as the old car, which to me was near impossible to improve upon. But it is wider in sedan form, and I like how the rear end has evolved. The front end is a tad square for what I prefer. But like the 5, once behind the wheel nothing seems to really matter. The 5 Series interior, which lacks the upscale punch, works nicely in the less expensive 330i. The gearbox is three steps ahead of the old car in shift quality, and the steering feels tighter and more direct. The engine delivers power in a constant surge to redline and sounds absolutely refined and world-class. I love horsepower, like in the 3.5-liter Infiniti G35, but I much prefer the engineering and attention to detail that BMW invests to get 255 hp out of 3.0 liters. The sum of the parts is what really defines the 3 Series as the quintessential driver’s car. It’s not fastest, but everything works in harmony; it’s an experience found nowhere else in class. If I had the money, I’d already own one.

PAVIA-RAUCHMAN: Never say no to a drive in a 3 Series and this one in particular. It was incredible, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it the alpha male. How about a new top-level female executive, who knows who she is and what she is capable of, who wears diamonds and likes to go dancing at night? Okay, that may sound weird but this car has it all: style, class, luxury, ability, performance. Love the gearbox. The throws are smooth and short, and the shifting is silky. Accelerating, decelerating, cruising, passing… this ride was fun. And hey, now that I’ve been using the iDrive in our long-term 5 Series and again in the 3, I’m getting the hang of it. I enjoy being able to make just about anything happen in the climate or entertainment area while looking ahead and with only quick glances at the screen.

FLOYD: Luu makes a great point about this car. It may not be the fastest or most powerful, but it’s all about balance with the 3 Series, and the ’06 continues the tradition: a suspension tuned masterfully between full-blown sport and comfort, an engine that makes the most of its displacement without sounding whiny or thrashy, and an interior that doesn’t “wow” but is tight in the build-quality department. The 330i also gets pretty solid gas mileage. I found myself pulled to this car—something in my head saying, “Just get in and go, bro,” all weekend long. It’s a joy to drive hard everywhere, especially now that the manual tranny has undergone a much-needed massage, making for smoother operation. I also like the evolution of the exterior style, details like the slice along the side give it an edgy look. This isn’t a really big sedan on the inside, and for $46,000 you can get some serious machines other than this, and with gaudier numbers. But you’d be hard-pressed to achieve the yin/yangness the 3 Series delivers.

RAYNAL: The outgoing 3 is a car that is nearly impossible to improve upon, and in this case I’m not sure BMW pulled it off. The new 3 Series is certainly different: The exterior shape remains nearly perfectly proportioned, but is it better? The supposed improved gearbox feels only marginally better to me, the ultra-controlled ride/handling mix feels about the same, which is to say the car drives wonderfully, but so did the old one. The active steering feels more natural in this car than in the 5, but the jury is out on whether active steering is an improvement in the first place. I’m not saying this is a bad car, it’s not. But the old 3 Series was so good I’m not so sure this car is that much better.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102487
      06-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

This guy Raynal must be crazy.... I drove an E90 back to back with an E46, and the difference in handling/ride is remarkably improved. I am not sure where he says that nothing has changed
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

voltron1011, below is what I wrote about Raynal on bimmerfest:

Nearly impossible to improve on? So this guy thinks this car would be best in class in 20 years or even a 100 years? Designers: stop your feeble attempts to design a better machine, advancement is over!

Give me a break. If anything, I think this clearly shows very strong bias off the bat. Not to say that there is something wrong with someone loving a car that much (I might be in his shoes if I owned or driven one), but in that case I would not be an objective judge.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

I have to say I agree that I agree with everyone in this review except Raynal. (and even he is mostly right). The e46 is very good, but the e90 is better. It may not be the fastest car in the segment, but it is pretty close. The best way I can sum it up is BALANCE. There is not too much power or too little, and the handling is very very good. I am loving my 330i !
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
HNLe90
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Raynal is just being a misfit. The E90 is without doubt a better car but he is right in saying the E46 is a great car too. I think BMW has done a good job in keeping the cost similar despite improvements. How did they get a 330i to reach $46000? They must have every option available!
      06-08-2005, 05:55 AM   #6
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNLe90
How did they get a 330i to reach $46000? They must have every option available!
I was wondering the same thing. I think there are quite a few options that are completely useless...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

i looked at an e90 that was sticker priced over 46000. SG 330i with navi, prem, sport, and im sure it had other stuff such as heated seats, sunshades, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggax23
i looked at an e90 that was sticker priced over 46000. SG 330i with navi, prem, sport, and im sure it had other stuff such as heated seats, sunshades, etc.
You might as well go for a 530 for that price...
Appreciate 0