BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #1
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Valvetronic issues - car in limp?

2013 135IS 153k miles. Full Bolt on, custom tune.

Normal day, drove home 30 minutes from work, pull in the driveway and I get the half check engine light as I park. Nothing happened, no sounds nothing. Shut the car off pulled the codes:

2DCE - Valvetronic system: No adjustment possible
2E0F - Valvetronic system: deactivated, adjustment fault too frequent

Drove the car the next day, everything seemed normal, maybe a bit off or maybe not cause I was paranoid about it. Started doing research and thought that maybe my VVT motor was not working anymore. Seemed totally normal for that many miles I guess so I placed an order on FCP for the whole shbang kit (vc gasket, vt motor etc.)..

Next day rolls by I reset adaptations and ran the VVT calibration through Protools...got shadow codes:

2E11- Valvetronic system: bottom stop learned
2DD0 Valetroninc system: Warning threshold value, feedback control deviation exceeded.

So I really thought replacing this VT motor would solve it since the sensor is inside the motor I can't do that alone. Watched some Youtube videos on it and got to work. It seemed like an extensive job but nothing that involved or out of scope that I cant do. Everything went well (I thought), cleaned the injectors while I had them out cause they were really dirty. Did the whole allen wrench thing with the spiral gear, made sure to hold the wrench so tension didn't slip on the shaft...thought it went well..

Well. Got all done. Put the key in, ignition on, and let it do its thing for a few minutes. I opened Protools and did the VVT calibration again. I heard the motor spin but didn't sound great to my ears and only lasted like 5 seconds.

Now, fired it up. Started off a little rough because fuel was out of the lines and injectors were just cleaned. Ideled at 1k for a few minutes. I shut it off, pulled the codes, and was getting misfires and the Valvetronic codes were still there. I reset adaptations and fired it up again. The idle smoothed out VERY nicely. The car has no power and wont go over 2.5k rpms, I think it is in limp mode but doesn't have any codes about it. I took it down the street and It got up to 65 but the power was so low, I dont have any boost really but I hear the turbo trying to spool. I'm defeated, lost, and need help and maybe a confidence boost...

new codes:

2D41 - Valvetronic, adjustment range: Master adaptation outside tolerances
2D43 Valvetronic, adjustment range: Fault range check

Anyone got any ideas about what to do next? .... Thanks
Appreciate 1
AndyW672.00
      03-28-2022, 09:37 AM   #2
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

Flash back to stock, and restart. All should be well. Then flash your custom tune.

Of course, that's taking into account your VT shaft doesn't need replacing. N55 is a pesky engine for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 10:39 AM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

^^^ Agreed to try that.

The eccentric shaft could be siezed up? It may be what killed the first motor or made it look like it ws the motor. Hope not of course, but - maybe check into it. Are you getting a rattling sound from under the hood when you first open the car door in the morning?

I'm 2 of 2 for N55's having the shaft and motor getting replaced.
Appreciate 1
AndyW672.00
      03-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1stgen View Post
Flash back to stock, and restart. All should be well. Then flash your custom tune.

Of course, that's taking into account your VT shaft doesn't need replacing. N55 is a pesky engine for sure.
I tried to flash to stock 0 I believe (kept MHD on), fired right up, tried running it and the same thing happened. Flashed back to custom tune and still nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #5
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
^^^ Agreed to try that.

The eccentric shaft could be siezed up? It may be what killed the first motor or made it look like it ws the motor. Hope not of course, but - maybe check into it. Are you getting a rattling sound from under the hood when you first open the car door in the morning?

I'm 2 of 2 for N55's having the shaft and motor getting replaced.
I’ll try flashing again but I did that yesterday. I was really hoping the shaft wasn’t the issue. No rattling sounds from under the engine, just the normal buzzing sounds from the fuel pump. It sometimes does more buzzing but not from the fuel pump if I let it sit with the ignition on.

What’s also weird is when i drove away I heard like a ticking noise from the engine bay almost like a lifter sound but not that loud. I’ll have to look into it again tonight
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 12:37 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

For both my issues I heard a rattling sound, sort of the tell-tale sign. It was the valvetronic motor hammering the eccentric trying to get it to move. If you're not hearing that, there's a chance you have a different issue. Hope so!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #7
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

With ISTA, delete the valvetronic learned positions. It’ll reset it. I had the same a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t intervene mechanically though as ISTA has 2 procedures on doing it with software. I hope your intervention didn’t throw it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 03:51 PM   #8
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
With ISTA, delete the valvetronic learned positions. It’ll reset it. I had the same a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t intervene mechanically though as ISTA has 2 procedures on doing it with software. I hope your intervention didn’t throw it off.
I’m thinking the same. I don’t think Protools does this with their valvetronic calibration. I might just need to take it to a shop to get it done, or maybe struggle to get it on a laptop. I knew about the ISTA that needed to be done but thought Protools would be able to.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 07:08 PM   #9
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
So I got home and unlocked the car, typically ill hear the fuel pump start running but i didn't hear it. Clicked the ignition on and I hear something trying to run inside the engine like a motor trying to turn or something just *gatgatgatgatgatgat* kinda sound. Let it sit for a minute, fired right up. IDled smooth. Pulled the codes and now I get:

2D41: Valvetronic, adjustment range: Master adaptation outside tolerences
2D43: Valvetronic, adjustment range: Fault range check.

So I am thinking, its due to the ISTA calibration that I need to have the min/max tolerances set properly? Does that sound plausible?

I took it for a short ride down the street just to see how it acted, it seemed the same, maybe a little better but, very low on power and low rpms but it wants to go I hear the engine spooling up its something not allowing that delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #10
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyincash View Post
*gatgatgatgatgatgat*
Sound like this:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ht=valvetronic

???
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:48 AM   #11
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

Flash back to stock, as in completely remove MHD, not just stock map. It will reflash your DME with original file, and reset all of the limits.
We've had this issue with a car here recently, ISTA D was stuck in infinite loop as the limits couldn't be learned due to errors present, but the errors couldn't be reset.
Appreciate 2
AndyW672.00
      03-29-2022, 08:55 AM   #12
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Flash back to stock, as in completely remove MHD, not just stock map. It will reflash your DME with original file, and reset all of the limits.
We've had this issue with a car here recently, ISTA D was stuck in infinite loop as the limits couldn't be learned due to errors present, but the errors couldn't be reset.
This actually sounds plausible. When I get home from work today I will try this and let you guys know. When I remove MHD from the car, will I lose all my custom tune files and such, so when I redownload it I still have it?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:39 PM   #13
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I flashed back to stock, took MHD off. Still no dice, doesn’t want to rev past 3k. I’m thinking I need to hook up ISTA and do the limits there. Only codes are the ones listed above.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 07:46 AM   #14
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
So I flashed back to stock, took MHD off. Still no dice, doesn’t want to rev past 3k. I’m thinking I need to hook up ISTA and do the limits there. Only codes are the ones listed above.
The car wont rev past 3k because the valves are at minimum lift. Set valvetronic manually to max lift. leave valvetronic unplugged. run the car (should drive fine) like this. Now try clearing codes. Plug valvetronic back in. Don't run any procedures just unlock the car and drive it. Requires drilling through the valve cover or taking it back off to set valvetronic to max lift but this is what I would try.
Appreciate 1
AndyW672.00
      03-30-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
The car wont rev past 3k because the valves are at minimum lift. Set valvetronic manually to max lift. leave valvetronic unplugged. run the car (should drive fine) like this. Now try clearing codes. Plug valvetronic back in. Don't run any procedures just unlock the car and drive it. Requires drilling through the valve cover or taking it back off to set valvetronic to max lift but this is what I would try.
Cool I’ll this tonight, I didn’t have ISTA, only Protools so it didn’t have the ability to manually set limits. I’m loading up ISTA tonight and will give it a shot
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 09:41 PM   #16
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Cool I’ll this tonight, I didn’t have ISTA, only Protools so it didn’t have the ability to manually set limits. I’m loading up ISTA tonight and will give it a shot
You can't do it with protool... like I said, you need to either drill a hole in the valve cover or take the valve cover off and manually rotate valvetronic to max lift.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #17
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can't do it with protool... like I said, you need to either drill a hole in the valve cover or take the valve cover off and manually rotate valvetronic to max lift.

Update for y’all. I pulled the valve cover, the shaft was rotated almost all the way to the minimum setting (counter clockwise on the spiral) so I knew something wasn’t working right and also confirms the fact that the valves weren’t opening correctly which was why I wasn’t able to rev over 3k. Rotated the shaft to maximum lift, threw the valve cover on and everything else. Then went to ISTA to do the start procedure for the valvetronic start up. It couldn’t do it throwing me a code 2D41. I even tried the other procedure to learn the min/max levels and that didn’t work either. The car still wouldn’t rev past 3.5k.

Took the valve cover back off (crazy how much less time it takes the third time disassembling lol), the shaft was rotated in the same spot. I turned it back to max lift and buttoned everything up again. This time I left the valvetronic motor unplugged (the plug on top), fired it up and it runs good. Still got the stock tune on.

So what you’re saying is to clear all codes, then plug in the valavetronic motor, and then turn the ignition on (don’t crank it over) and let it do its thing for a few minutes? Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 04:47 PM   #18
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Update for y’all. I pulled the valve cover, the shaft was rotated almost all the way to the minimum setting (counter clockwise on the spiral) so I knew something wasn’t working right and also confirms the fact that the valves weren’t opening correctly which was why I wasn’t able to rev over 3k. Rotated the shaft to maximum lift, threw the valve cover on and everything else. Then went to ISTA to do the start procedure for the valvetronic start up. It couldn’t do it throwing me a code 2D41. I even tried the other procedure to learn the min/max levels and that didn’t work either. The car still wouldn’t rev past 3.5k.

Took the valve cover back off (crazy how much less time it takes the third time disassembling lol), the shaft was rotated in the same spot. I turned it back to max lift and buttoned everything up again. This time I left the valvetronic motor unplugged (the plug on top), fired it up and it runs good. Still got the stock tune on.
It's running fine now because it's staying at max lift. Sounds like valvetronic isn't able to rotate the shaft back to max lift which is a problem with the servo motor or the shaft or something.

Quote:
So what you’re saying is to clear all codes, then plug in the valvetronic motor, and then turn the ignition on (don’t crank it over) and let it do its thing for a few minutes? Is that correct?
It seemed like you were saying that your issue was that you weren't able to clear codes but if you've set the shaft to max lift multiple times... and it has gotten stuck several times.... then you've still got something mechanically wrong with the servo motor or the shaft.

But yeah you can try to clear the codes with it disconnected. Then connect it... unlocking the car will cause valvetronic to run from max lift (where you set it) down to min lift and then back to max lift (it learns it's stops every time you unlock the car). If it's getting stuck when doing this then it appears you have a problem. Clear valvetronic adaptions and then try starting it? don't run any learn-in procedures after clearing adaptions and just let valvetronic do its thing.

Maybe try watching what happens with the vale cover off. Don;t start the car just unlock it and valvetronic will drop form max down to min ... and then back up. you'll be bale to see exactly what is happening and causing it to jam.

Last edited by bbnks2; 04-03-2022 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #19
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Quote:

Maybe try watching what happens with the vale cover off. Don;t start the car just unlock it and valvetronic will drop form max down to min ... and then back up. you'll be bale to see exactly what is happening and causing it to jam.
I am assuming you really need to disconnect the fuel pump power for this as well or you'll get a suprise? I ask because iIam considering doing this(watching it operate valve cover off).

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #20
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
I am assuming you really need to disconnect the fuel pump power for this as well or you'll get a suprise? I ask because iIam considering doing this(watching it operate valve cover off).
yeah the fuel rail will be off and the LPFP will try to prime to 76psi. you can put a hose on the rail and run it into a bucket or something I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 08:54 PM   #21
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I got a good update for y’all. I’ve done many hours of research and contemplated many things, and I went ahead and purchased a used eccentric shaft that had about 50k on it. I got time today to tear down and replace it. I got new roller bearings and those other outside clips too. Everything went great. I saw nothing wrong with my shaft, no dents, dings all bearings are intact. I put the “new” one in, put the car back together and started the ignition but didn’t crank it. I could hear the vvt motor turn the shaft for about 4 seconds and that was it. I opened up Protools because my laptop wasn’t working and ran the vvt calibration which was successful. It didn’t last long though, maybe 3-5 seconds. Fired it up and went for a drive, it ran awesome. I went ahead and flash my custom tune on and holy hell I forgot how fast this thing is. All in all, thanks for the info and suggestions, I hope this thread helps someone one day. Time to tackle a suspension upgrade next! Thanks y’all.
Appreciate 3
      12-29-2022, 10:08 PM   #22
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

6 month later update - I really cannot believe it but I think my shaft is stuck again. I have been chasing misfire codes 2EE2, 2EEC, 2EF3, 2EFE, 2F01, 2F03 for a few weeks now. Changed plugs, coils etc. I think my injectors are either leaking or clogged. A few days ago, car just lost boost and the exhaust note was noticeably louder. Next day, same thing but on my way home, it suddenly was able to produce boost somehow. Next day went back to no boost. I started to think my eccentric shaft was stuck again..

Pulled up Protools and tried to run a VVT calibration and I got that very familiar sound of the shaft not spinning and a "stuck" sound. Lasted half a second, so I knew. Although I have no codes referring to it...

Im not sure how... is this a common thing with these N55s? I am pretty frustrated to be honest...

Time to look for another shaft, and probably injectors since I will be there. sick.
Appreciate 0