E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Where can I get a parts diagram for the coolant lines?

01-24-2023, 01:21 PM   #45
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328XI

I think its fixed. It was the radiator hose. It was running down the back side into the other fitting. I didn't replace the vertical hose. I only used the o ring out of it.
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2023, 11:28 PM   #46
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Style View Post
I think its fixed. It was the radiator hose. It was running down the back side into the other fitting. I didn't replace the vertical hose. I only used the o ring out of it.
Good job getting apart without causing more damage... that's the trick!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 08:14 AM   #47
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328XI

I did it cautiously. I actually cut the old radiator hose in have then removed each half separately. I knew I was replacing it and had no reason to try to save the old one.

Thanks for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 01:36 AM   #48
bimmbo
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328iT

Had a similar problem after replacing my radiator, radiator hoses and expansion tank and hose. Prior to replacing everything, I had a coolant leak that I thought was coming from the top of the radiator so I ended up just buying all this hardware as I've heard it's a pain to get the hoses and such off in one piece. While pinpointing the leak, after removing my intake manifold I could see the expansion tank hose running along the top of the radiator spraying out liquid. So I thought I could just replace that and hold on to the other hardware until I knew they'd need to be replaced. I tried to remove the hose from the upper radiator hose and it immediately snapped right off with little force. Ok, fine, so now I needed to replace the upper radiator hose. Started tugging on the connection at the radiator and boom, snapped the fitting off the radiator, doh. Guess I was going to have to replace the radiator today after all. Glad I bought the all aluminum CSF radiator so this hopefully doesn't happen again while I own this car. After putting in all the hardware and refilling with a flush kit and distilled water, found a leak at the upper radiator hose. It was coming from the vertical hose connection and everytime I'd flex the hose, liquid would gush out of the vertical hose end. I looked at the hose and fitting and saw no signs of damage, but the o-ring definitely looked compression set and no longer making contact with the upper radiator hose vertical fitting. I measured the new Rein hose's vertical fitting and it was about .016" (I know, shouldn't be working in inches but it comes in handy later) smaller than the old Contitech I pulled off. Used o-ring had an ID of .879" which was larger than the .865" new hose fitting. Went hunting for o-rings on McMaster-Carr and couldn't find the right metric size (I think 21.5 or 22 mm ID x 3.6mm) in a suitable compound that would cover the temp range, so went with a .859" ID x .139" CS in Viton 75 Duro, good from -15 to 400 deg F (I'm in CA so not that cold but I know Viton still works below the -15 deg F rating anyways). I got a 5 pack for $6. Shipping ran me another $10. Hope to get the part tomorrow and give it a whirl. Will update then...

Update: o-ring is holding fine, no leaks after 20 minutes drive. Hose felt a bit tight to install after putting the new o-ring with light film of Dow vacuum grease. My guess is it's fine since the new upper radiator hose lower connection was slightly smaller OD than previous but I think stock o-ring is actually 22mm ID x 29mm OD if anyone's wondering.

Last edited by bimmbo; 02-01-2023 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 01:28 PM   #49
KevinAnLipscomb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
That's the place to START. I think you will find the BMW Part# is 17127531579
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0350

Inserting that part# in Autohaus, ECS & Amazon site search boxes yields:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/17127531579
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E91-32...h/17127531579/
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=BMW+17127...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I would be VERY CAREFUL HOW you remove the Upper Radiator Hose from the Radiator. Plastic that is 16 years-old, and has been through several thousand heat cycles is VERY BRITTLE. A cracked radiator will greatly increase your time & expense.

ANYONE who has successfully separated those fittings, please offer specific tips. I have NOT, but my understanding is that you do NOT Twist the fitting, as there is a locating notch.
George
For me, the trick was applying heat to the connection (with a heat gun) before implementing a very sophisticated wiggling process.
Appreciate 1