BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Walk me through Cobb v JB4 (complete noob)

I've spent over a week reading about the differences of these 2 products and I can't seem to find anything consistent.

I'll start by saying this; I am completely new to forced induction and tuning. I have owned nothing but NA cars ever since I got my license. If someone could just help condense the multitude of information out there and dumb it down for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

So from my understanding, the JB4 is a piggyback tune and the Cobb is not. What does it mean by piggyback tune? How is the Cobb different in the sense that it's NOT a piggyback? Am I correct in understanding that the Cobb changes the parameters of the map within the factory ECU whereas the JB4 overrides or "tricks" it?

The car is my daily driver so I don't want anything too excessive. No meth or anything like that. I have just ordered BMS DCI, I plan to upgrade the charge pipe and perhaps at some point do the intercooler. I do not plan any mods beyond that.

If I go with the Cobb, is it necessary that I have it plugged in and mounted at all times? I hate a cluttered interior and I don't like the idea of constantly having the access port plugged in and mounted on the dash. Am I able to just load the map I want and then unplug it? If that's the case, I would be better off going with the V2 as it's cheaper, right?

Is there anything I'm missing or anything else I should know? Any help is much appreciated. I know this has been discussed a thousand times and I'm sorry for posting about it again, but there is just so much information and so many conflicting opinions that it's a bit overwhelming.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
BoostedE88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I have a cobb and can only speak for it, but with a protune, it is a great setup. I chose cobb because its a flash tune and not a piggy back like the jb4 and just tricking the sensors. I have a n55 so mhd is not available, but for n54s i hear it is a great option. The cobb does not require to be hooked up all the time. You can just flash the car and leave it in your glove box or wherever you want. I have a v3 and enjoy the multi gauge layout, but if youre not in to that a v2 will fit your needs.

2011 E88 135i //Volk RE30/ BMS intake/ ER Charge Pipe/ VRSF 5 FMIC/ COBB DP/ Berk mids/ Remus Quad/ MHD Stage 2+//
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
Level3
1/2 Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 e92 ZCP

Garage List
I wouldn't waste my time with Cobb or JB4. I was in your situation and chose MHD... it's a flash so it's superior to JB4 and Cobb is no longer supporting N54 platform. MHD is improving everyday. It's easier, cheaper, more versatile, and always being upgraded. To me it was a no brainer to go with MHD.
      06-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level3 View Post
I wouldn't waste my time with Cobb or JB4. I was in your situation and chose MHD... it's a flash so it's superior to JB4 and Cobb is no longer supporting N54 platform. MHD is improving everyday. It's easier, cheaper, more versatile, and always being upgraded. To me it was a no brainer to go with MHD.
^^^^^ This right here. I had JB4 and also had Cobb. I left the JB4 after some issues with limp modes I could not solve. I switched to Cobb and everything was fine. Once Cobb announced that they would no longer support development of the N54 or N55 platform, MHD came along and offered much more flexibility and ability to tune the N54 engine with more unlocked tables than Cobb. ProTune with MHD also brings your car completely alive. MHD is not for the N55 but ESS is doing a bench tune that is bringing some very good power to the N55. Only other option for N55 is JB4.

But don't take our word for it only. Do your research and see what is best for you and what you plan to do in the future with your vehicle.
      06-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Going to offer up another option.

JB4 G5 ISO + BMS Backend Flash (via MHD) : Power and smoothness of a custom flash with the safety systems of the JB4, and ease of flashing with MHD.
      06-11-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
1flaguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Great question. I am also looking for same answers. Hoping more people give their opinion. I have a 2012 n55...
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
Wolfie1
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i

Cobb is not supporting the n55 anymore?
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie1 View Post
Cobb is not supporting the n55 anymore?
No, in fact, I dont think they really ever finished unlocking as much as they did for the N55 as they did for the N54. Its really a shame. I tried to bring them back and they told me that "the N55 would take 200 computers running for a year to crack all of the different ecus and encryption".

It no longer made financial sense because they are still a small company and dont have those kind of resources. Its a shame.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Basically. Nothing available for late model N55 aside from PPK if you want BMW or JB4 if you want power.
      06-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #10
Wolfie1
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
No, in fact, I dont think they really ever finished unlocking as much as they did for the N55 as they did for the N54. Its really a shame. I tried to bring them back and they told me that "the N55 would take 200 computers running for a year to crack all of the different ecus and encryption".

It no longer made financial sense because they are still a small company and dont have those kind of resources. Its a shame.
Okay that makes total sense and is a shame but at least they are still going to be selling it and updating firmware. ----I confirmed this with Cobb today
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:42 AM   #11
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so I've just bought a used JB4.

As I stated before, I'm not interested in going crazy with this car. It has a BMS DCI but is otherwise stock. Will I NEED to upgrade my charge pipe if I'm just running the JB4 on map 1 or 2?

I have read elsewhere that running the adaptive map (Map 5?) on the JB4 can lead to problems on otherwise stock cars? Is that accurate?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Aus

As I stated before, I'm not interested in going crazy with this car. It has a BMS DCI but is otherwise stock. Will I NEED to upgrade my charge pipe if I'm just running the JB4 on map 1 or 2?

I have read elsewhere that running the adaptive map (Map 5?) on the JB4 can lead to problems on otherwise stock cars? Is that accurate?
Definitely get a charge pipe. Those should be bought and used even running stock boost. Hopefully you checked if you need harness a or b before you purchased
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #13
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanapoli806 View Post
Definitely get a charge pipe. Those should be bought and used even running stock boost. Hopefully you checked if you need harness a or b before you purchased
In all the research I have done, I've never seen different harnesses mentioned. I haven't transferred the money yet so it's not too late, luckily. Thanks for making me aware!

Is there a way to tell which harness it has just by looking at it? And which will my car need if it's a 2008 build?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #14
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanapoli806 View Post
In all the research I have done, I've never seen different harnesses mentioned. I haven't transferred the money yet so it's not too late, luckily. Thanks for making me aware!

Is there a way to tell which harness it has just by looking at it? And which will my car need if it's a 2008 build?
Go on burger tuning site and click on the jb4 for your car and scroll down and there is a link that says how to tell which harness I have. Click on that
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #15
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep

I can't seem to find the link you're talking about.

The seller told me the part he is selling has been upgraded to the G5. His car is a 2008 (as is mine). Is that enough info to go off to confirm it will be compatible?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #16
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I can't seem to find the link you're talking about.

The seller told me the part he is selling has been upgraded to the G5. His car is a 2008 (as is mine). Is that enough info to go off to confirm it will be compatible?
Your actually fine on the n54. It's the n55 that has that I didn't pay attention
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Too easy. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Aus View Post

You dont HAVE to change it but most people do because the stock is prone to cracking over time,especially as they age and increased boost pressure from a tune.

It's worth upgrading for peace of mind.

I'm not familiar with problems on Map 5, please include the source.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #19
Dat1seriesdoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 10' 135i AW fbo mhd2+ - rip

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
i skipped out on jb4 as i am not a fan of trickery to make power (basically modifies the signals to the ecu to make it perform differently) that personally scares me to death when it comes to making power..

i have had the cobb, which is all good and fine if you get a custom dyno tune done by A REPUTABLE TUNER*** but like others have said, they have stopped development on the n54 & n55 platforms

i now am using MHD and am on the stage 2+ tune and i couldnt be happier with the power that i am making, as well as its smoothness and reliability.. that on top of the fact that they are constantly updating their software, and are fantastic with support.. for the cost of product, you cant go wrong with MHD !
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #20
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

Some N55s can be flashed, mine for example, is flashable as I am running a AP.
Not the best option, but the only flash option, I am not sending my ECU off for a one time flash especially if I am getting a turbo upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #21
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

I just picked up a JB4. The more I read into how it works, and what it is actually capable of, the more I realize I made a mistake buying it... It's fun to roll around on the street with, but I would never trust using it for continuous high load events like a track day.

The JB4 sits at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to car tuning options. It is great for its various features. For actually tuning the car it's not so great. It is popular because it is an easy and CHEAP solution to quick power. Most people select a map to race their buddies with and never think twice about what is actually going on with their car.

Basically, anyone pushing real longterm power with the JB4 pretty much just use it for boost control. They get a real custom flash tune to create safe reliable power.

Continue reading if you care to hear more on why I am so frustrated with the JB4...

The JB4 also seems to be programmed in a dumbed down way compared to something like the Cobb AP. It's just not a very powerful product. While the JB4 is monitoring a lot of the more meaningful parameters with its proprietary safety algorithms, the end-user can't actually log the data and review it them-self. You are limited to the few elementary columns of data the JB4 lets you log. I want to be able to see things like actual load vs target load and actual knock noise rather than just seeing ignition timing. Cobb gives the user way more power in this regard.

My biggest gripe with the JB4 is the support. The people at BMS do not seem to actually be very knowledgeable about their own product. The majority of their comments are just one liners that add no substance to any of the questions being asked. They literally skirt and skip over the important stuff and leave you with generic crap like "set everything back to default." It feels like the equivalent of calling tech support for them to just ask you if you've tried turning the product off and on again...

The forums are also an absolute mess of information. You'd think they would've released user manuals for each major firmware release since things have changed vastly over time. The wheel control charts and default user settings aren't even accurate. Some of the logged parameters have drastically changed functionality and meaning over time as well. It makes weeding through forums posts to get information almost impossible. For instance, there were points in time where the header for the columns of logged data didn't even reflect the right numbers. The N55 and N54 firmware is even different, yet you have to look at the N54 thread to get all your information on how the product works. The N55 JB4 doesn't even utilize half the stuff the N54 JB4 does yet the options are still there and there is no explanation that they do nothing. The picture they tell you to look at to get the default user settings has numbers in these settings. Talk about confusing and idiotic.

It just feels like a broken/incomplete piece of software to me... It feels more like "Terry's" personal software experiment rather than a tuning companies mature product. The rest of the staff seems clueless on how it even works. Again, a majority of their responses end up being, "play with it and see what you like," and then they quote the very vague write-up "Terry" did on the product. For instance, they tell you a setting can be set from 1k rpms through 5k rpms, but they avoid explaining the effects of changing the setting from 1k rpms vs 5k rpms...

Last edited by bNks334; 07-07-2016 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #22
drunkenmagnum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post

According to COBB (I just spoke to them Wed) they are not done with the N55 completely. However, they are WAY behind on their updates. They still haven't overcome the 98G1B ROM. As a COBB V3 user, its very frustrating. I have a $600 tuner that does me no good and I am not willing to backflash because I had the dreaded AC stall problem. The latest updated was the only thing that fixed it.
Appreciate 0