BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #45
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
LOL, who cares what it says on a piece of plastic attached to the top of the engine! As far as I'm concerned it could say 'Powered by Joe' on it, I don't really care, what's written on it won't make the engine any more powerful. What matters is the torque curve, throttle response, eventually the noise it makes and I guess way down the line (but still ahead of what it says on the cover) how much gas it uses.

The engine is fun to look at a couple of times when you first get the car, and you have to look at it when doing maintenance or checking the oil, but otherwise I'd rather spend my time driving the car and you're not looking at the engine when you're driving are you?
But what about when you park at your local Sonic and pop the hood to show off to your homiez?
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #46
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
Does anyone know why the motor reads "powered by bmw m" instead of housing the M badge on the plastic casing?
It could be a preproduction piece that will change. The "Powered by BMW M" looks to be a sticker that fit in the existing groove on the current production cover. It would be easy for BMW to order covers that have the trademark ///M rather than the Roundel to put on the production cars.

We all keep looking at the preproduction cars as production cars and get caught up in the details that might/will change before production starts. The mules that are being shown are really to build up excitement for the fender flairs, the ZCP wheels, the black interior with the orange stitching and the Valencia Orange paint and to tell you the truth, its working for me. I like the fenders, the interior and I really like the VO. I’ll worry about the details like what shocks are used, what the muffler looks like or the type of headlights when the first production cars roll off the line.
Me too!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #47
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Quote:
But what about when you park at your local Sonic and pop the hood to show off to your homiez?
And show them what? A plastic cover on top of the engine with a badge on it? On most cars nowadays you can't even actually see the engine because it's hidden under that plastic cover. I mean look at that cover, you can't see the wires to the sparkplugs, you can't see the headers, heck you can't even see the turbos. Heck, it could be a 4 cylinder NA engine in there it would not look different.

As for the M badge there's already plenty of them on the outside of the car if they are that impressed by badges.

I'm having fun playing the devil's advocate here of course (since after all there's nothing else to do while waiting for BMWNA to produce the information (and the cars) that we are all waiting for), but to me it's a lot more impressive to look under the car at the suspension bits or the telling details like the cooling fins on the diff than at a completely useless bit of plastic hiding the engine.

At least when I pop the hood of my S2000 you can see the engine in all it's naked glory with all the wires and lines, and when people ask me to look at it, it's to see the supercharger rather than the golden H on the valve cover .
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:28 AM   #48
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

The 1M will need a strong tranny to handle 500nm..I heard the 135i/335i tranny's can comfortably handle 400lbft...but more than that is not recommended.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #49
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Does anyone know if they have uprated the clutch as well? I drove my friend's 135i today, and the clutch feels soft and weak. It's been awhile since I have driven a 135i and compared to my GT3, this feels like it will wear out at any time!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #50
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Remember that the 135i that you drove has the clutch delay valve (CDV) and slows the clamping action of the clutch to the flywheel. It's supposed to protect the drivetrain from shock but it just promotes faster clutch wear.

I'm curious to see if the 1M will have that same handicap.
      02-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #51
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
And show them what? A plastic cover on top of the engine with a badge on it? On most cars nowadays you can't even actually see the engine because it's hidden under that plastic cover. I mean look at that cover, you can't see the wires to the sparkplugs, you can't see the headers, heck you can't even see the turbos. Heck, it could be a 4 cylinder NA engine in there it would not look different.

As for the M badge there's already plenty of them on the outside of the car if they are that impressed by badges.

I'm having fun playing the devil's advocate here of course (since after all there's nothing else to do while waiting for BMWNA to produce the information (and the cars) that we are all waiting for), but to me it's a lot more impressive to look under the car at the suspension bits or the telling details like the cooling fins on the diff than at a completely useless bit of plastic hiding the engine.

At least when I pop the hood of my S2000 you can see the engine in all it's naked glory with all the wires and lines, and when people ask me to look at it, it's to see the supercharger rather than the golden H on the valve cover .
I was completely joking, BMW could put whatever they want on the engine cover. Or was you mentioned, they could just leave it off. Wouldn't remotely effect my decision.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #52
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I found those sweet puma gloves for sale. Not cheap though!

http://puma.subesports.com/products/...MA/prodID/2097
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #53
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Does anyone know if they have uprated the clutch as well? I drove my friend's 135i today, and the clutch feels soft and weak. It's been awhile since I have driven a 135i and compared to my GT3, this feels like it will wear out at any time!
It is supposed to have the 335is clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
Remember that the 135i that you drove has the clutch delay valve (CDV) and slows the clamping action of the clutch to the flywheel. It's supposed to protect the drivetrain from shock but it just promotes faster clutch wear.

I'm curious to see if the 1M will have that same handicap.
Other 6sp M's do not have CDV's, so it should not.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #54
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I found those sweet puma gloves for sale. Not cheap though!

http://puma.subesports.com/products/...MA/prodID/2097
I found the same gloves a little cheaper here ($119)

http://www.frsport.com/Puma-Pro-Fit-...3_p_15392.html

In all seriousness, a pair of sneakers will run you more (and you'll go through them quicker), so it is not that bad. Just wish they come in Valencia Orange!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #55
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
It is supposed to have the 335is clutch.

Other 6sp M's do not have CDV's, so it should not.
I believe the E46 M3 had CDV, so sadly there is a precedent. Hope no CDV here, if not I'll have to reuse my current Zeckhausen modified one (so it can appear stock when serviced)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #56
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
I believe the E46 M3 had CDV, so sadly there is a precedent. Hope no CDV here, if not I'll have to reuse my current Zeckhausen modified one (so it can appear stock when serviced)
Fair enough. I do agree, preferably it won't and save me the trouble of changing it out.
Appreciate 0