BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

AutoEnginuity Service Reset Tool

I realize there are many posts on the subject of battery registration... but this looks to be the least expensive option for doing so... and I'm wondering if anybody here has experience with one?

https://www.autoenginuity.com/order-...eset-tool.html

AutoEnginuity tells me (email) this works on an N55 (MEVD17KW). I could wait for BT to update their Scan Tool, but I drive a June 2010 build car with the OE battery and I'm thinking I need to be prepared.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I wonder how that would work with the battery coding?!?! It only has a one button reset function??!?

I have heard the BMWhat coding tool can code batteries now as well. Plus the bonus of doing all sorts of different coding!

I have not confirmed this for myself however.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

That's my understanding as well. But I'm looking for the *least expensive* option... and as a guy with only a dumb phone, having to buy a cheap tablet and then the BMWhat app exceeds the cost of the AutoEnginuity tool.

It does two things: register a new battery, and reset oil service. $130 is a lot of money for one thing (my BT tool will do everything else), but I feel like I need this.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Just not sure how it will code a new battery. Is all that is involved in coding a new battery is telling the car "there is a new battery"?

The oil life can be reset easily buy holding the odo reset button.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

This comes from doc I have from AutoEnginuity (repeated here without permission):

"By running the Battery Registration, the vehicle controllers now know about the
new battery. When you run the Battery Registration the following happens:

• Saved temperature statistics are cleared.
• Current Odometer reading is stored. Previous replacement readings are retained in
the controller (last seven?).
• Saved battery statistics are cleared (voltage, charge level & current).
• Battery capacity reset to 80%.
"
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

NCSExpert Battery Registration

The attached describes the process using the NCSExpert code set - runs on a laptop and interfaces via a special cable with the OBDII port. I don't understand the references to temperature and other things. You need use NCSExpert to change the size or type of battery and Tool32 to say it is a new battery. If you don't change size or type, you just run Tool32.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Aftermarket Battery Registration DIY[1].pdf (387.6 KB, 746 views)
      03-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The attached describes the process using the NCSExpert code set - runs on a laptop and interfaces via a special cable with the OBDII port. I don't understand the references to temperature and other things. You need use NCSExpert to change the size or type of battery and Tool32 to say it is a new battery. If you don't change size or type, you just run Tool32.
I do techie stuff for a living (Cisco lately, but I was a real-time guy for 20yrs previously). But even with that, stuff like NCSExpert makes me *very nervous*. I could live with bricking my PC, but not my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I haven't registered a battery yet but I've programmed my car so the top goes down with the remote and a few other things. There are tutorials and I always pulled one out before proceeding. The first step is to back up your car's programming. If you do this, you should always be able to go backward. If it wasn't for the crytic commands - probably has something to do with the software being in German - it wouldn't be bad. All you do is load the area you want to modify into a word processor, modify it, and reload it. That is for NCSExpert. The battery registration seems very safe - just issue a command. I wouldn't blame anybody for wanting to have a way to do it that was simpler, however.
      03-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
and as a guy with only a dumb phone, having to buy a cheap tablet and then the BMWhat app exceeds the cost of the AutoEnginuity tool.
LOL, you sound like a kindred spirit: I only have a dumb phone as well.

But I do have a tablet (that I inherited from my brother when he upgraded his tablet ).