BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Any thoughts on resonated vs non-resonated?
Interested in this too. I'm thinking of having a midpipe with no resonator and not cats made for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
Interested in this too. I'm thinking of having a midpipe with no resonator and not cats made for me.
Thats what I have, just havent installed it yet
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #25
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

If the non-resonated sounds throatier/meaner then I would prefer that over a really smooth sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #26
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Thats what I have, just havent installed it yet
Get it on there ASAP and get some videos up!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #27
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
Get it on there ASAP and get some videos up!
Its going to be a few weeks, my cars isnt even at home plus I need to do some welding to make it fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #28
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

The resonators don't really dull the sound. In the berk midpipes they just help reduce drone, the same way some muffler-less axlebacks for the non-M 1-series have "sound chambers" to reduce the drone you get when you lose the muffler, like aFe's axleback:

It's really just 2 hollow chambers that have the right acoustical properties to alter the sound waves in just the right way to help cancel out some of the drone. Since it's just 2 hollow cavities, and the resonators have a bigger diameter than the rest of the pipe, there's no way they can really restrict the airflow. The purpose of the resonator isn't to cut down on the noise level, per se, but to "dampen" the noise so that it isn't quite as ugly. In terms of the Berk midpipes, it cuts drone and makes it not sound like a "fart can" exhaust you see on ricer cars. If you have a non-resonated midpipe you might be a tiny bit louder, but you'll also sound a lot fartier if the rest of your exhaust is aggressive, and you really won't be able to tell that tiny sound difference. On a car with an otherwise stock exhaust, non-resonated pipes probably won't be an issue.. Some N54 135is swap out to N55 midpipes and it's fine.. but they keep stock DPs and the muffler. I imagine that if you upgrade the downpipes or the rear section in the future, it may be easy to start to dislike the "roughness"..

Last edited by 1speedbike; 12-08-2011 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #29
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
It's really just 2 hollow chambers that have the right acoustical properties to alter the sound waves in just the right way to help cancel out some of the drone. Since it's just 2 hollow cavities, and the resonators have a bigger diameter than the rest of the pipe, there's no way they can really restrict the airflow. The purpose of the resonator isn't to cut down on the noise level, per se, but to "dampen" the noise so that it isn't quite as ugly. In terms of the Berk midpipes, it cuts drone and makes it not sound like a "fart can" exhaust you see on ricer cars. If you have a non-resonated midpipe you might be a tiny bit louder, but you'll also sound a lot fartier if the rest of your exhaust is aggressive, and you really won't be able to tell that tiny sound difference. On a car with an otherwise stock exhaust, non-resonated pipes probably won't be an issue.. Some N54 135is swap out to N55 midpipes and it's fine.. but they keep stock DPs and the muffler. I imagine that if you upgrade the downpipes or the rear section in the future, it may be easy to start to dislike the "roughness"..
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #30
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

My 300zx has two 3" dumps after about 4 feet coming off of two GT28r turbos. LOVE how mean it sounds, but the volume and fumes are a bit much.

The N55 mids still have a resonator on the end. (Or middle muffler?)

I don't think I've ever heard non-resonated mids. Anyone have a video?

I'm doing the down-pipes and mids for sure, and maybe the CP-e cat-back. The switchable valve Akro is badass too, if I can bring myself to pay that much.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #31
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post

I don't think I've ever heard non-resonated mids. Anyone have a video?
I had posted clips of non resonated non catted mids in one of the Borla threads years ago (they were on my 135). Its a complete 2 pipe system, a separate pipe from each downpipe all the way into the muffler.

I will have to Y it into one pipe to install on the M and mate it to the stock axleback.

here is a clip (its a 135 may or may not sound the same once I do the M) its idling (I rev it up in the end), there are 5 total there

http://www.youtube.com/user/papethov.../4/a2ayf4tUr6w

Last edited by Papethova; 12-09-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0