BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #45
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

aftermarket AIR filters (like Afe, BMS, Stett, etc.) are useless. People want to beleive in them.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #46
SJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: none yet

Mechanically naive question: why does an "enhanced" air intake help with the turbo engine? Isn't the turbo already forcing in and compressing near maximum air already? Or, is this for the radiator, to enhance water cooler, etc? I think I understand why it can provide some boost for the 128, but I don't understand why it helps the 135 ??
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #47
Victory Road
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
Mechanically naive question: why does an "enhanced" air intake help with the turbo engine? Isn't the turbo already forcing in and compressing near maximum air already? Or, is this for the radiator, to enhance water cooler, etc? I think I understand why it can provide some boost for the 128, but I don't understand why it helps the 135 ??
The turbo can only force in as much air as it can pull in
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #48
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

i've been running an aFe DCI paired with their scoops since last year and i have NO complaints about it AT ALL and i'm really happy with it
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #49
Cali135
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

From the location of where the filters sit it would seem an open element would suffer from heat and hot air from the fans would cause power loss. Looks like a sealed system with heat reflection drawing air from under the cars bumper would be the best way to go. I just do not see how having 2 big cone filters sitting there open to the heat right above the engine behind the fans is going to help with the hood down and moving. With the hood up and a big fan blowing on it sitting on a dyno it would show gains I am sure. I have been modding mustangs for 15 years and most Cold air intakes that put the filter in the fender or have a seal box around the filter getting fed air from under the car worked the best. It should be no different here. the physics are the same. My car was also supercharged so getting good air was very important. When I went from an in fender system to an open element under the hood I saw Inlet air temps sky rocket and killed performance whiel driving but on the dyno I made 20 more HP over the in fender because it was not getting air sitting on a dyno but was while on the road. Also my filter on my 03 CObra was not affected by the fans at all so it was all just heat from the engine killing performance. I went back to a sealed box design and it ran better.
Something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #50
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Hopefully this will put this thread to rest: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #51
vitig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Hopefully this will put this thread to rest: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014
conclusion? bms dci is the best?
135ijb3, h & r filter, SSK, CDV,clutch stop, klracing fmic,seccond catted ,225-255 michelin ps3, E93F-E92R swaybars.M3 parts front.M3 tension rear.Plates mod(F-2,0º R-1,5º).Bilstein + stock springs.Ps rotors.Subframe bushings.Weichers fstruut.Finally mods sdiff and raceland dp.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #52
Gogud
Private
Rep
Drives:

I read the post referred to in the link. When someone inquired about doing the test on a hot engine, Terry @ BMS wrote,

"The engine was up to temperature. I drove around for 20-30 min before cruising off boost for 5-10 min to stabilize IAT. If it was not up to temperature, IAT would be at ambient, rather than 10 degrees above."

I have not taken readings, but stopping the car and immediately opening the hood unleashes a blast of hot air, much hotter than from a NA BMW. Try it yourself; it is WAY more than 10 degrees over ambient. Do you believe all the hot air is is being immediately evacuated from the moving car? In addition, tests on cars operated in hot weather under stop and go traffic conditions show that heat soak is a problem in cars drawing underhood air. Simply accelerating up to normal cruising speed does not eliminate heat soak conditions quickly. I read a test on a Mazda where it took more than 1/2 hr to return to pre-heatsoak temps. Admittedly, this is a much different car with a TMIC and doesn't compare directly with a 135 but the basic principle is the same. I wish I had a link to the article at hand. You can find plenty of information on the benefits of cold air intakes if you want to, but if you simply want to support your beliefs, you can just attack me and deny anything logical.

Are we to believe that BMW and nearly every other auto maker is wrong and wasting money on elaborate intake systems that draw air from outside rather than underhood, whether in turbo applications or not? It would be easy to offer a bolt on upgrade for the customer looking for a little more power and they would be silly to pass that up if it were that simple. Add to that the snake oil to treat the element and you have a huge loss of revenue!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #53
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

FYI : IAT is measured after the intercooler in Terry' s test no?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #54
SVT2BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 135i

well I am going to try out Terry's duals soon and see how they work. I always figured the hot under hood air would be a big negative but as Terry pointed out the reduced work the turbos do to get the air in helps plus most of the fastest 1's and 3's out there are running open air elements. Maybe someone will do some serious back to back testing at a track averaging several runs with each and documenting temps and times to finally settle this.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #55
bbadillo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Black 135i, JB+

it all comes down to the track testing times. dynos dont work cause they our stock intakes dont get to utilize the scoops properly
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #56
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank@wheelsto View Post
The turbo can only force in as much air as it can pull in
True, but if you're hitting max boost with the stock filter, an intake isn't going to help make more power.

The only way an intake can help add power is if the system is so restricted that you can't hit the boost being requested by the software.

As far as "cold" air intake, you'd have to prove that on a dyno, or at least show that the air temp after the IC is any cooler than with the stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #57
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
FYI : IAT is measured after the intercooler in Terry' s test no?
It seems to be Alext. So, what an we conclude then here ? Maybe, that changing the stock Airbox by a CAI or a HAI (Hot airintake lol) for a turbocharged engine isn't making a difference. Because the turbo's wil rais the airtemp extremely. It is the IC that is very important. A CAI for a NA engine is more important, although powergains - especially without someware-modifications - are seriously overrated (more marketing and salesdriven). But, maybe somebody more technical can say some about this.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #58
Luvmybmw
One Fast 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e82

BMS DCI...Love it!

Last edited by Luvmybmw; 09-10-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: picture did not work
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #59
RaceTime
Auto X'er
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i

My 1 is pretty much a race ride only...mostly suspension mods to my car. I run in BSP (SCCA) due to the Dinan tune. I installed a Injen intake in the middle of the summer season. I will say that the turbo seems to come on quicker and the throttle response has definitely improved. I think any truelly dual system is an upgrade. I say that because if you look at how the stock airbox is configured it is not engineered well. Each turbo is trying to intake air almost in 180 degrees from one another. This means that each turbo is competing for the same air flow. With separate intake each turbo can intake as much air as they can.

This is just my two cents tho...
Dinan Stage 2 software, Injen intake, RR Oil Catch Can, H&R Pro-coilovers and springs, H&R front sway bar, Vorshlag camber plates, Vorshlag comp studs, BMW strut brace, BMW performance pedals, G-Force harneses, BMP tow hooks, Breyton GTS-R wheels with 255-35R18 (square set up) and custom axel back exhaust with muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #60
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

LOL. Im sure all that cold water hitting the cylinders really messed it up. hence the engine swap..
Ive seen this hydro lock happen to cars before and thanks for the reminder.. I was recently thinking the Stett CAI is badass but now that i think of it , yeah its too low and posses a problem if driving in a puddle. Not a good idea to have it that low.
Was a couple years ago driving on the 60 in Phoenix AZ that i saw a flash flood puddle up on a low part of the free way . Several lowered cars where messed up not knowing the puddle was a bit over 1 foot deep. All the cars stuck on the side of the road where decked out hondas.. lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #61
Mike01ci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M2 & 03 M5

What about the BMW Performance Cold air package? Same conclusion?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
--if that link doesn't work, go to Tischer's website
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #62
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

After I installed Injen intake, my 135 feels stronger in the top end and throttle response is much improve over all rpm range. The improvement is real and it is a butt dyno proven mod.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #63
bbadillo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Black 135i, JB+

Forget Dyno proven mods, Dynos really do not prove anything, its all about track times. Maybe if we put a jet engine fanning air into the scoops, the stock dyno will push more HP than the DCI dyno :-p
Appreciate 0