BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Persistent N54 Misfire

So I've read just about every thread I could find on this... and couldn't really find a definitive answer.

Car is a 2009 135i with 65k miles, mods in sig. I drive it gently, probably too gently to be honest. I change the oil every 3-5k.

I started having a misfire on cylinder 6 a while ago, with no apparent rhyme or reason to when it was occurring. Since then I've done the following things:

Replace all plugs - (cylinder 6 was BLACK)
Swap coils - seemed to be fine
Swap injectors/reseal - Misfire remained in cylinder 6
Replace valve cover
Replace valve cover gasket
Compression check

The compression is good, the valve cover was cracked and the gasket wasn't great, so I was hoping that would fix it, but it did not do the trick.

Based on how I drive, I can see it being carbon buildup... I should probably get on it a bit more.

Anyone have any input? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably leaving something out here... but if I think of anything else I will add it.
2009 135i M Sport 6MT - ER CP - HKS BOV - AFE Intake - Cobb AP - VRSF DP's - Remus Quad Race Exhaust - CF Quad Diffuser - CF Spoiler - 19" Alufelgen CSL's - Hardwired V1 - Laser Interceptor Dual - Black Grilles - 1M Bumper - CF Splitter - Custom Alcantera Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
prcsa77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Carbon cleaning may help. Most of my miles are on the highway so it took longer to develop issues (erratic idle at times, mild hesitation). Carbon cleaning made a world of difference on how the engine runs throughout RPM range and load. When I did my carbon cleaning of the intakes, #6 was the "wettest" of the intakes. Other than that, have you replaced the PCV? Have you had the oil analyzed, indicating possible fuel contamination? You said you swapped injectors, so the problem should have moved with it. t
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcsa77 View Post
Carbon cleaning may help. Most of my miles are on the highway so it took longer to develop issues (erratic idle at times, mild hesitation). Carbon cleaning made a world of difference on how the engine runs throughout RPM range and load. When I did my carbon cleaning of the intakes, #6 was the "wettest" of the intakes. Other than that, have you replaced the PCV? Have you had the oil analyzed, indicating possible fuel contamination? You said you swapped injectors, so the problem should have moved with it. t
Thanks, many of my miles are from highway driving as well. I hadn't really thought of the PCV - I guess I assumed that would throw its own code or cause misfires on multiple cylinders.

I will see about having the oil analyzed tomorrow.

Thanks for the input. If anyone else has any tips or thoughts, please let me know.
2009 135i M Sport 6MT - ER CP - HKS BOV - AFE Intake - Cobb AP - VRSF DP's - Remus Quad Race Exhaust - CF Quad Diffuser - CF Spoiler - 19" Alufelgen CSL's - Hardwired V1 - Laser Interceptor Dual - Black Grilles - 1M Bumper - CF Splitter - Custom Alcantera Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Just picked up my car today from a carbon cleaning. It had been about 45K since the last time I had it done. Much smoother acceleration... and idles better. had the plugs done too. Cylinder 6 was the worst also. Shop took pics, I guess they will give them to me Saturday when I go back for an alignment. I needed that because I replaced all 4 shocks with Bilstein Hd's
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Just picked up my car today from a carbon cleaning. It had been about 45K since the last time I had it done. Much smoother acceleration... and idles better. had the plugs done too. Cylinder 6 was the worst also. Shop took pics, I guess they will give them to me Saturday when I go back for an alignment. I needed that because I replaced all 4 shocks with Bilstein Hd's
Thanks... at this point I'm really hoping it just needs a carbon cleaning. The car has never had one (just reached out to the previous owner today) which caught me off guard, for some reason I thought he had had one. Purchased the car last April with 51k.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I drive about 13K miles a year. I have an N54 and it seems that every 45K is about right for a carbon cleaning. This fits in perfectly with when the plugs should be done and with the covers off the engine it's quick and easy.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

So I'm pulling the trigger on the old walnut blasting... Hopefully that will get done tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
heist_tub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i - Crimson Red

I had misfires on cylinder 3, 4, and 5 on and off for a while. replaced plugs and injectors and it still persisted. swapped coils around from the other cylinders and saw it wasn't that. So I had a walnut blast done finally and those were the ones that looked pretty bad (6 was BAD but didn't misfire lol). But anyways it's been about 2-ish weeks now and no codes have been thrown! I've driven soft and i've gotten on it pretty good. So if anything walnut blast might be your answer
      05-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Yep. My shop ordered a walnut blaster. Hopefully getting treated tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
prcsa77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Please post updates, good luck.
t
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM6F View Post
Yep. My shop ordered a walnut blaster. Hopefully getting treated tomorrow.
Before you get it blasted... What kind of spark plugs did you use? Are you sure they are for your engine code? (n55 and n54 plugs are different!)

The reason I ask is... when I first researched changing my spark plugs on my n54... over on the e90forum I found a few posts where members were chasing a odd misfire only to solve the problem with BMW(dealer: OE) bought plugs instead of the aftermarket(OEM) Bosch plugs. The dealer plugs say BMW-Bosch, the Bosch plugs only say Bosch on them.

I would try a new set of plugs first.

Also... did you ever just try swapping spark plugs from that cylinder to another and see IF that changes anything? I only read where you swapped coils around.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Before you get it blasted... What kind of spark plugs did you use? Are you sure they are for your engine code? (n55 and n54 plugs are different!)

The reason I ask is... when I first researched changing my spark plugs on my n54... over on the e90forum I found a few posts where members were chasing a odd misfire only to solve the problem with BMW(dealer: OE) bought plugs instead of the aftermarket(OEM) Bosch plugs. The dealer plugs say BMW-Bosch, the Bosch plugs only say Bosch on them.

I would try a new set of plugs first.

Also... did you ever just try swapping spark plugs from that cylinder to another and see IF that changes anything? I only read where you swapped coils around.
Thanks, that's good thinking. We did originally swap the plugs, but I will double check to see where the new ones are from. At this point, I think it needs a carbon cleaning regardless.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 12:37 AM   #13
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I had a misfire problem a couple years back that haunted me all summer. It even forced me to clean my valves myself with a brush. It started off with random misfires on wot. Very random. Not all the time. It progressively got worse but I was also getting an o2 sensor and all cylinder misfires. Different numbers and different banks would show up as misfires. Hell of a time finding what was wrong. After I ordered a new rear o2 sensor I thought I got shipped the wrong one. The connectors are different for the 2 rear o2 sensors. So if you unplug them it can only go back into the right one. Nothing stops you from putting them into the wrong downpipe. Haha. My car ran great or misfires all summer. Finally in the fall I figured it out. The video I watched for the dp install also showed the sensors in the wrong pipes according to the color of the wire. Both black sensors go in 1 pipe and both grey sensors go into the other. You can't run the car if you switch the front 2 sensors but it will still run with the 2 rears switched and give you misfires. Not sure if that is what's happening to you but it's easy enough to check.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #14
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Are these the correct OEM BMW plugs to use: 12 12 0 037 244 part number
I told the Indy shop to use OEM plugs. Not sure if these are the ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
I had a misfire problem a couple years back that haunted me all summer. It even forced me to clean my valves myself with a brush. It started off with random misfires on wot. Very random. Not all the time. It progressively got worse but I was also getting an o2 sensor and all cylinder misfires. Different numbers and different banks would show up as misfires. Hell of a time finding what was wrong. After I ordered a new rear o2 sensor I thought I got shipped the wrong one. The connectors are different for the 2 rear o2 sensors. So if you unplug them it can only go back into the right one. Nothing stops you from putting them into the wrong downpipe. Haha. My car ran great or misfires all summer. Finally in the fall I figured it out. The video I watched for the dp install also showed the sensors in the wrong pipes according to the color of the wire. Both black sensors go in 1 pipe and both grey sensors go into the other. You can't run the car if you switch the front 2 sensors but it will still run with the 2 rears switched and give you misfires. Not sure if that is what's happening to you but it's easy enough to check.
I'll double check that, but I drove it for over a month with no issues or codes after having the DP's slapped on. I'll keep you guys posted.

Today went well because I was able to pick up an AW 135i bumper to throw on my car while my 1M rep is in the shop being repaired. Right now I'm spraying a set of washer covers for it. Really looking forward to getting my car all sorted out and finally being able to enjoy it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #16
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Finally have some time to update... Carbon cleaning took care of the misfire on cylinder 6, and man did it need it.

Now I occasionally have one on 2... This may take some time to sort out.

I'm going to triple check on what plugs they used.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 03:44 AM   #17
Pot_Pie_35i
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i (PTE 6466)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM6F View Post
Finally have some time to update... Carbon cleaning took care of the misfire on cylinder 6, and man did it need it.

Now I occasionally have one on 2... This may take some time to sort out.

I'm going to triple check on what plugs they used.
Were any of your misfire issues caused by an uncommon issue?
Appreciate 0