BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Aftermarket battery options and opinions

My original battery (90Ah flooded) is on its way out. It has lasted nearly 7 years so no complaints there. I'm planning on replacing and registering (and coding if necessary) the battery myself. Dealership wants ~$250 for a 90Ah (same as I have). In looking around, it seems I have three main options and each are about $150, so that's $100 saved as long as the quality is the same.

I'm leaning toward upgrading to a group 49 / H8 battery that is near 100-110Ah.

Does anyone have experience or opinions on the following manufacturers/batteries?

- Exide (likely L5/49X)
- East Penn / Deka (likely 649MF) - either through NAPA or CarQuest rebranded
- Johnson Controls - thorough Walmart rebranded Everstart

Thoughts?

If I knew the dealership battery would last 7 years I'd spend the extra $100, but I've gotten anecdotal information that the original batteries and the dealership replacement batteries may not be of the same quality.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
I'm on my first replacement BMW battery on my e90. Bought the car in July 2005. Don't recall when I had it installed but averaging almost 5 years between the 2 (original + BMW replacement) so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

Interstate is a good deal. But do match the required OEM specs.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Group 49 h8 is a good upgrade from the smaller OEM H6 type in there. I've recently bought an advance auto 49/h8 AGM, which I'll install and then have coded as an AGM. In-trunk batteries are a place where AGM is a smart move.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
A $250 battery from the dealer is a ripoff (I know first hand)... You can buy a similarly rated (or higher) AGM battery for considerably less.

Get the BMWhat app or NCS Expert and their accompanying dongle to register the battery and you'll be one happy camper.
      12-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
ok75
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Convertible

Replacement Battery for E88

Hi,

Exide BMW battery cost $100 more than a Bosch or Interstate replacement battery which actually are better than the Exide (that's what I've been told).
Any good experience with either Bosch or Interstate?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 n52

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
A $250 battery from the dealer is a ripoff (I know first hand)... You can buy a similarly rated (or higher) AGM battery for considerably less.

Get the BMWhat app or NCS Expert and their accompanying dongle to register the battery and you'll be one happy camper.
I just got the Carly app and their dongle and am curious about the battery situation. I need one and I know it can be used to register the battery BUT can it be used to code an AGM to an original lead acid situation as well as to increase size???
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #8
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop269 View Post
I just got the Carly app and their dongle and am curious about the battery situation. I need one and I know it can be used to register the battery BUT can it be used to code an AGM to an original lead acid situation as well as to increase size???
Did you check the Carly site?

I thought the app covered various types/sizes of batteries....?
      01-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #9
honestzergtea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop269 View Post
Yes it can, it gives you various ah ratings for lead acid batteries and the same choices for AGM batteries.
Source: just registered a aftermarket AGM battery into my 1er without issues via Carly BMW

hope that helps.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

I recently changed out my OEM H6 lead acid to an Autocraft H8 agm with Carly. Pretty simple to do and its a two step process. One to update the CAS module with your new battery type/size and one to register a new battery.

As a heads up, I recently learned how to use INPA/NCSExpert and I believe it is quite possible that if for some reason someone resets your CAS module, it could go back to the default battery type/size as it is an attribute of your vehicle order.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
khekking
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Convertible

I highly recommend the Autozone Duralast H8-AGM. I just replaced my original (2010) battery in my 128i with that model from Autozone. Fits perfectly, including the vent tube which plugs into the same end with the existing elbow, and comes with a cap to cap off the other end. It is slightly longer than the OEM battery, but still fits perfectly because the bracket has two screw holes to mount the battery, and this battery simply requires you to use the 2nd mounting hole instead of the shorter original one. It is an improvement over the OEM battery in CCA, also glass-mat which is an upgrade. My cost (on sale) was $179, and along with purchasing Carly-BMW (Android) at $50 to register it still came in at less than half what the dealer quoted. They told me battery replacement was $470 including labor. Very easy job to do yourself, if you get the registration software, and you will save a lot of $$$.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #12
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update to say that I replaced my battery a few weeks ago. I went with the same 90Ah, non-AGM battery that the car came with. From the dealer, after discount, it was ~$150 or only slightly more than I could find "very close", but not exact, replacements aftermarket. I did the install/registering myself and it took all of 30 minutes.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
From the dealer, after discount, it was ~$150
Nice price!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #14
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by khekking View Post
I highly recommend the Autozone Duralast H8-AGM. I just replaced my original (2010) battery in my 128i with that model from Autozone. Fits perfectly, including the vent tube which plugs into the same end with the existing elbow, and comes with a cap to cap off the other end. It is slightly longer than the OEM battery, but still fits perfectly because the bracket has two screw holes to mount the battery, and this battery simply requires you to use the 2nd mounting hole instead of the shorter original one. It is an improvement over the OEM battery in CCA, also glass-mat which is an upgrade. My cost (on sale) was $179, and along with purchasing Carly-BMW (Android) at $50 to register it still came in at less than half what the dealer quoted. They told me battery replacement was $470 including labor. Very easy job to do yourself, if you get the registration software, and you will save a lot of $$$.
Any thoughts on the H6 vs H8? AUTOZONE guy says it can only take H6.
Edit: found out I have a lead acid battery. Found equivalent at advance. Group 49H8

Last edited by rogerdiaz; 12-10-2016 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #15
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Pretty sure (like 99%) you can take an H8. A quick measurement on the length should confirm.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Edit: found out I have a lead acid battery. Found equivalent at advance. Group 49H8
I have a H8 in my 1 series and originally it was a H6. If you look in the trunk, it has three battery mounting holes -- one for H6, H7, and H8. If you go to autozone's website and enter your car's info, it'll also recommend H6-H8 batteries.

Although, your signature says you have a 335D...I'm assuming that you just didn't update it, but I don't want to be giving you incorrect advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #17
homewrecker07
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
Pretty sure (like 99%) you can take an H8. A quick measurement on the length should confirm.
Resurrecting this thread as I just had to change a battery out. There are hole/mount points for 3 battery sizes. H6/H7/H8. I just installed an H8 AGM and it was a pain to get the screw into the mount point as it was the biggest size.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #18
WP1
Private
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Does anyone know if NTB will register the battery? Does it must be registered?
      08-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #19
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Can always get whatever size you want and just use something to extend the bracket if its too small. Just make sure the vent hose fits.
      08-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

And you can register with MHD in the 'codes' section.
      08-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #21
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
NTB almost certainly can't because it requires accessing the BMW specific module to do so.

Must it be? No, your car will still run. But it won't charge the battery in the most appropriate manner meaning the battery life may be affected.

Should it be? Yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #22
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
NTB almost certainly can't because it requires accessing the BMW specific module to do so.

Must it be? No, your car will still run. But it won't charge the battery in the most appropriate manner meaning the battery life may be affected.

Should it be? Yes.
Appreciate 0