BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Going on Two Weeks - Shared Thoughts and Experiences (+PICS)

Finally getting around to posting! These pics aren’t the greatest as my friend snapped them quickly, and my own digital camera is broken. You probably won’t read anything new, but at least you will be helping me vent.

On with it, then: It’s been two weeks since I picked up the car that, the more I drive, feels as if it was built for me. The ordering and buying experience at the dealer from start to finish was mostly good. My CA always kept me in the loop about my car and turned out to be one of the better salesmen that I’ve dealt with.

Now, over 500 miles later, I’m absolutely in love with this car. Pictures never do it justice. Even the pics below don’t quite look right to me. To see this car in person is to love it. The interior is tight and sporty, and the sport’s steering wheel is beefy. The manual tranny is notchy and the 1st to 2nd takes some getting used to, but having driven an M3 for some time with an equally fussy gearbox, I’ve gotten used to it rather quickly. The brake calipers scream performance when you look at them, and they’re more noticeable than I expected. Perhaps what has surprised me the most is a tie between the power/torque and the exhaust note. 300hp? Feels like more to me! And that warble sounds like someone at the factory fitted me with an aftermarket sports exhaust when no one was looking. Some of the little options have also surprised me; HD Radio sounds as good as a CD, PDC flawlessly got me out of a tight parking spot last night, and the iDrive is so much more than a navigation system. Leatherette looks and feels great, and manual seats are more than I’ll ever need. Not being an audiophile, the upgraded LOGIC 7 is beyond adequate for my needs. I’m happy with the money I saved from not ordering Comfort Access and the iPod USB adapter (the standard AUX-IN works great, and the secondary cup holder makes a great holder for my iPod).

On to some bad, only two weeks and I already have a cracked windshield and giant chip/dent above my rear wheel arch. Luckily, I purchased the car with windshield protection so it will be replaced at no (additional) charge to me. I have a giant gravel lorry to thank for the windshield. Needless to say, I am now absolutely paranoid of any truck with a trailer and will do anything to not be even remotely behind one. Additionally, I’ve spent three days of these last two weeks in a 328i loaner due to having paint protection and the factory alarm installed. This would be fine had everything went to plan, except by the end of it they told me the alarm could not be installed due to my car being “too new.” Apparently I must wait for a “software patch” that will allow the alarm to work. :bs: Anyone else have this experience?

Overall, I’m glad to finally have my 1er. My advice to all you anxiously waiting for your orders to arrive is to come here as much as possible—it got me through it! And since I don’t get the opportunity to say this in other threads, I’d like to say we have a mighty fine group here at 1Addicts. I’ve been around for a while and have noticed the differences in threads and posts comparatively with other forums that are out there. I’m glad to call this place my 1 Home, and I look forward to be a continuing contributor.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Congrats. You are very lucky to be happy. What a special feeling I miss.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
EDUC8ED
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Blue Majic"

Looks great!..cant wait to get mine

Montego/ Coral 135i

"Progress not Perfection"
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

No real complaints. Glad to hear it. Yeah, the alarm could work but what the heck.

There are white specks on your front bumper. Don't tell me you actually drive your car? :iono:
      06-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

1ToBe - Great looking car, and great post on your experience so far. I feel the same way about my 128i. Even though I'm a few ponies down from the 135, I haven't missed it yet. I'm almost out of break-in now, and look forward to letting it breathe a little. Are we the only East Bay BMW customers on the forum?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Nice car, and sorry to hear about the mishaps!

I'll be looking forward to you getting past the break in mileage and you posting your thoughts on this car in comparison to the E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect128 View Post
Are we the only East Bay BMW customers on the forum?
I know there's at least one more around because I saw his car at the dealer, and then on here. :biggrin: Who knows how many are lurking about. I have noticed a lot of Bay Area members on this forum, which will make it fun when we have a meet.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Bimzz
Happy Member
Rep
Drives:

The car looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
wrongprotocol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT, white

sorry to hear about the winshield, but good thing you get some use out of the winshield protection!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
s204speed
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru

(lol at the sig /\)

thanks for the write-up! car looks killer! any comparisons you can provide from the M3, specifically in terms of handling feel (body roll, adhesion, lack of LSD when putting down the power (although i realize you are in break in!) just general feel, etc)?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Montego!
      06-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #12
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
What price were you able to negotiate?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #13
arvid
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20D M-sport

Great pics! It looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
120dredrum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

montego looks stunning.. great choice and congrats
      06-12-2008, 02:17 AM   #15
UFO!
Rep
Drives:

I Love mine it as you do !

i'm in the East Bay, Fremont to be exact. in response, i too havent see hardly any 1's in the bay area so far. actually, i only saw 2. the first one was on univ. ave in palo alto about 1 month before the car was released for sale. at the time, a magazine reviewer got hold of one and was explaining how he was doing a thorough test of it (135i). He later admitted that he loved it and would pick this over a 3 series for sure. said it was great in every way.

Mine is Sedona Red. I havent seen another sedona red as i've browsed through this site on the various threads. why? is it not as popular? personally, i thought its one of the best colors of this car, hence i ordered it. it took just over 2 months to get it.

mine is taupe leaterhette, automatic, sedona red, and xenons. no other ad-ons because it has everything i need/want.

audio is great. drivability and comfort is even better. i put 470 miles on it during first 3 days. ever since then, i've always gotten looks and stares when on the road. at least 4 people came up to me and gave high compliments. i'm always modest, and honest with what i paid for it. thats what i'd want if i came up to appreciate someone else's car. lets all be like that huh? not be so "private"... for what? stature? or the mystic of it all?
anyone can find out anyway, anyone can research it anyway, and almost anyone can afford it anyway. its a nice car, thats mainly it... be honest, be humble to what ever model/car you have

as for power, not sure because still breaking it in. i got the 128 because i've owned a 325 in the past and it was plenty of power for me, so this one should be a tad more. turbo is turbo. it pushes 70 more horses, and i can appreciate having that but in real life, i wouldnt use it.

it saved me about 6000. in addition, 128 also saves gas & cheaper on insurance. and price/ratio wise, its the best deal. it also comes with Fog Lights. 135 doesnt. i got xenons because wife really wanted it. aside from that, i'm more or less a practical guy.

dont get me wrong, i know its a bmw. but to be humble once again, my other car is a 1990 camry with 170,000 miles on it and still using it.
my wife takes this because i want her to have a nice car, where i'll drive my trusty camry when we arent using the same car together.

my most favorite part of the car? is when i hear the engine rumble as it starts up. that grrr sound is ..tantalizing...

anyway, hope this helps and sums up my own experience.

Love it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #16
UFO!
Rep
Drives:

View from Front

a view from the front.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:27 AM   #17
UFO!
Rep
Drives:

front, second try...

Front View
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:33 AM   #18
UFO!
Rep
Drives:

one more thing...

my only gripe is with BMW claims of 15k mile oil change service/etc...

that is way too long.

in fact, i personally went into the dealership to ask a SERVICE TECH GUY, about the long 15k oil change. he did say its ok to change it at 15k due to bmw engineering, fine quality, etc. on the other hand, he also said he sees a lot of people coming in to do interim oil changes. Secondly, he DEFINITELY recommends doing the oil change right after break in. that is a must, in his words. i told him that i appreciated his honesty.

does this help you? what are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #19
120dredrum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

your car looks great UFO.. i love sedona red.. its true beauty comes out at night
      06-12-2008, 02:40 AM   #20
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Good looking car UFO. It seems to me that it doesnt matter if you have a 2.8 or a 3.5tt they both look great! Do you have a profile view of it(I have yet to see a good pic of the 2.8 in profile)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #21
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO! View Post
one more thing...

my only gripe is with BMW claims of 15k mile oil change service/etc...

that is way too long.

in fact, i personally went into the dealership to ask a SERVICE TECH GUY, about the long 15k oil change. he did say its ok to change it at 15k due to bmw engineering, fine quality, etc. on the other hand, he also said he sees a lot of people coming in to do interim oil changes. Secondly, he DEFINITELY recommends doing the oil change right after break in. that is a must, in his words. i told him that i appreciated his honesty.

does this help you? what are your thoughts?
Not really necessary to do it UFO...the mechanics in Germany didnt recommend it to me when I liked there. But it could not hurt anything to do it right after the break in.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #22
UFO!
Rep
Drives:

Thank you very much for the comments guys.

Here is a shot of the profile. it was taken with a wide angle lense, in the shade, so it may look 'fish-eyed' a bit.

taken on first day of delivery at the dealership.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0