BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
Quarter Mile
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Fuel Smell Driverside rear 08' 135

I am pretty sure I finally located the culprit. I took out the back seat today and after picking up a few keys, some change and other lost objects I removed the driver side fuel tank sensor access cover. Lo and behold the top of the sensor cover (white plastic) has cracks in it.
I cleaned off some of the built up fuel gunk and you can clearly see fuel leaking from the crack in the cover.

My 2008 135 has 88703 miles. Is there any way this is considered a hazard and would be covered under BMW service?
The fuel smell is extremely strong after I drive the car a bit. The fuel tank on the driver side was/is covered in greasy fuelie gunk too. I cleaned a bit off hoping to locate the source. Luckily I read a post concerning removing the back seat and accessing the fuel covers from there.

Please look at the attachments if not displayed in the post window.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #2
hyphy1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

holy crap. have that thing replaced stat
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Quarter Mile
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Update for BMW involvement

So, I called the local dealer ( 100 miles away) gotta love livin in Arizona. I talked to a service rep about this issue. He said BMW is aware of it and will not touch it unless the car is under warranty.
Seems only vehicles that are consistently driven in hot weather have this particular problem and there aren't enough of them to warrant a recall or service bulletin. He knew exactly what I was referring too when I mentioned the fuel tank sensor cover. He also said they have replaced a bunch of them.

So, no help from BMW. I found the entire part online (fuel filter, gauge level sensor and breather in one repair "kit" with gaskets for $129.
Not as bad as I thought for an OEM part. I'll just fix it myself like so many projects I usually do anyway.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
hyphy1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

california central valley is burning up. glad to know BMW is aware of the issue, but sucks that they wont attempt to repair it. Go find a quote from a reputable independent BMW shop or attempt DIY. If DIY, a friendly how-to would help us all.

What are the part numbers? OEM parts?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0