BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Widowmaker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i Alpine White n55 DCT

Adding sub and amp to base 2012 sound system

Hey guys,

Every thread I've found either refers to the Logic 7 or the Alpine system. I have a 2012 135i which I believe came standard with a HiFi system - there is no badging on any of the speaker grills

My question is with the base sound system, can I add an aftermarket sub and amp and still be able to retain use of steering buttons, stock headunit, etc? From my research it looks like the HiFi system has an amp and 8.5 sub underneath the seats? Can I simply have a shop replace the amp and installer a bigger sub in a box in the trunk and be fine?

Last edited by Widowmaker; 03-07-2016 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Poke around here for a while: http://musicarnw.com/ There are (or at least were) some guides to ID your system and some upgrade paths.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
phierce
Private
Rep
Drives: 135

There was a guy on here called technic that has a wiring harness adapter for our car so we don't have to splice any wires so we can add a sub I sent him a message no reply I think this might be his site
http://www.technicpnp.com/product_pu...E90-92-93.html

Let me know if you get any further as I am in the same boat
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 12:37 AM   #4
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

The logic 7 system is know as "Harmon Kardon" (for your year model) and ill thus have "Harmon Kardon" on the speaker grills, so it sounds like you have either HiFi the Alpine Kit.

That being said, the alpine kit also comes with stick on silver badges that say "Alpine", but they fall off easy.

If you have the alpine kit, the amp will be under the removable boot tray.
The alpine amp is Black and is anchored to the boot floor with velcro.

Please note the other thing under your boot floor that is mounted to black metal bracket is not an Amp.

The Hifi system's amp is under the left side trim of your boot.

Using this info you should be able to identify which system you have.

If your still confused: "boot" = "trunk"

And adding a sub and amp will not affect steering wheel controls in anyway (unless they mess up the install). You should keep the trunk sub in conjunction with the under-seat subs.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Widowmaker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i Alpine White n55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
The logic 7 system is know as "Harmon Kardon" (for your year model) and ill thus have "Harmon Kardon" on the speaker grills, so it sounds like you have either HiFi the Alpine Kit.

That being said, the alpine kit also comes with stick on silver badges that say "Alpine", but they fall off easy.

If you have the alpine kit, the amp will be under the removable boot tray.
The alpine amp is Black and is anchored to the boot floor with velcro.

Please note the other thing under your boot floor that is mounted to black metal bracket is not an Amp.

The Hifi system's amp is under the left side trim of your boot.

Using this info you should be able to identify which system you have.

If your still confused: "boot" = "trunk"

And adding a sub and amp will not affect steering wheel controls in anyway (unless they mess up the install). You should keep the trunk sub in conjunction with the under-seat subs.
Awesome thanks for this, I do not have Harmon Kardon nor Alpine badging anywhere in the car, so I am certain now I have the HiFi

When you say under the removable boot tray, are you referencing the cover for the battery?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #6
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Yes that bit of carpet that goes over the battery and you can pull out easily without needing to remove screws or anything difficult.
Appreciate 0