BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

06-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

My time with the 1M as a former owner of a chipped N54 motor (Updated with some pics)

BMW Advanced Driving School at VIR. More details to come. I was paired with two pretty fast guys (one is on his seventh consecutive attendance for Advanced School (I think) the other was a club racer and I was the wannabe track junkie, we ran some quick laps that passed other lead follow groups several times.

Brief Summary

Ambient Temps: 95F

M5: Overheated after some very hard laps, but really fun to drive.
M6: Least favorite, I'm convinced the car was trying to kill me Overheated twice.
M3: Flawless, with the DCT the car is unbelievable especially when learning a new course. I have a 6MT and I am really considering moving on after this.

1M: Underwhelmed, really skittish (short wheel base, hot tires maybe?) It was hot, turbos were hot, got oil temps just above 270F, but something very familiar quickly came up. The torque diminished as the heat increased just like my old 335i. I'm sure the car is a monster in cooler temps, but for me the car won't due in summer months where 90F+ is the norm. The pull was like my old '07 335i Dinan Stage II, but handling was much better with a real LSD. I was lucky enough to drive the M3 then the 1m then back to the M3. The M3 motor is a true gem and its a real shame that the next M3 with be forced induction. There that just one man's opinion.

I can't wait to take my M3 to Sebring this weekend.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

You should have put your flame suit on. 1M owners and future owners are gonna flip out

Atleast your honest though... Nice write up...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
You should have put your flame suit on. 1M owners and future owners are gonna flip out

Atleast your honest though... Nice write up...

Was not intended to create a fight. Just calling it like I see it in the environment I drive in 90F+ turbos don't do well in high temps.
      06-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

obvious troll is obvious.
would've believed you until your dct comment.
idiot. torque does not diminish with heat. and my 335i far exceeds your Dinan Stage II.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Sour grapes from another M3 owner. EVERY magazine, website, etc that has tested the 1M says it is as good if not better then the current M3 at much less cost. Skittish...maybe your skill is best suited for a large automatic?

I cannot wait until someone compares the 1M to a manual e92. Their will be some crying for sure.

I really wish these M3 guys who have nothing good to say would stay on their side of the fence.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
1///Mrs
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 535 Xdrive and 1M

I don't remember Dan Parker saying anything about loss of torque due to heat but he did say the oil temps got high but quickly went down.

M3 do owners hate this car!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

I'm still kind of blown away by how many people there are out there that still have that, "my car is faster\better than yours mentality...."

I think we can ALL appreciate both the 1M and the M3 on many levels....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techthentic View Post
obvious troll is obvious.
would've believed you until your dct comment.
idiot. torque does not diminish with heat. and my 335i far exceeds your Dinan Stage II.
Why, I have a 6MT M3 ZCP at home. Take it for what you want. Didn't come to start a war. Running a DCT car on a new course was awesome. Running my 6mt at Sebring this weekend. I'm a really bad driver so I'm sure that has plenty to do with

Heat will pull your timing, or you just are driving hard enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Sour grapes from another M3 owner. EVERY magazine, website, etc that has tested the 1M says it is as good if not better then the current M3 at much less cost. Skittish...maybe your skill is best suited for a large automatic?
I cannot wait until someone compares the 1M to a manual e92. Their will be some crying for sure.

I really wish these M3 guys who have nothing good to say would stay on their side of the fence.I cannot wait until someone compares the 1M to a manual e92. Their will be some crying for sure.

I really wish these M3 guys who have nothing good to say would stay on their side of the fence.
Well then I should trade in my E92 M3 6MT before Sebring this weekend. I think the car is good just not quite as good after a few hard session in the heat. That matters to me. I want consistent performance.

Everyone has their own tastes, I prefer the M3 motor in the conditions present at VIR, if it was 60-70F things may have been different.

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
1///Mrs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm still kind of blown away by how many people there are out there that still have that, "my car is faster\better than yours mentality...."

I lusted over the M3 for the past couple of years but now that I can afford one I am going with the 1M. For what I am going to use it for, non track, daily driver, weekend fun, I think it will be better/faster///more fun! I dont have the roads to be stringing out 8400 rpms in second gear at 80mph all day long. I do love both cars though!

Its only natural that we are going to compare the 1M to the M3 but M3 drivers take any chance they can to put down this car....ie. not real M car...too ugly...Fi....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:

+1000
      06-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Why, I have a 6MT M3 ZCP at home. Take it for what you want. Didn't come to start a war. Running a DCT car on a new course was awesome. Running my 6mt at Sebring this weekend.

Well then I should trade in my E92 M3 6MT before Sebring this weekend. I think the car good just not quite as good after a few hard session in the heat. That matters to me.

I'm fine everyone has their own tastes, I like the M3 motor in the conditions present at VIR, if it was 60-70F things may have been different.
Do you feel it is appropriate to post that the 1M is underwhelming on the 1M forum?

You dont see 1M owners posting that the M3 is overweight and overprices on the M3 forum do you?

You don't like it great...move on.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1///Mrs View Post
I lusted over the M3 for the past couple of years but now that I can afford one I am going with the 1M. For what I am going to use it for, non track, daily driver, weekend fun, I think it will be better/faster///more fun! I dont have the roads to be stringing out 8400 rpms in second gear at 80mph all day long. I do love both cars though!

Its only natural that we are going to compare the 1M to the M3 but M3 drivers take any chance they can to put down this car....ie. not real M car...too ugly...Fi....
I think that would be the perfect car for you. But I prefer the m3 on a larger tracks.
      06-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
+1000
Funny how you can agree with this given your original post.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Do you feel it is appropriate to post that the 1M is underwhelming on the 1M forum?

You dont see 1M owners posting that the M3 is overweight and overprices on the M3 forum do you?

I think the M3 is a pig, but it does it all well. I was just being honest of my opinion. The motor felt very pedestrian to me. The 1M is a good motor and a good car, I just wanted to be "wowed" and it didn't happen.

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Funny how you can agree with this given your original post.
I think I may trade in my 6MT for a DCT. A car that is fun and can deal with the elements like heat.
      06-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
1///Mrs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think I may trade in my 6MT for a DCT. I jsut was a car that is fun and can deal with the elements like heat.
Like I said earlier, Dan didnt say anything about any kind of heat soak...maybe he can chime in later...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

I think people are being a little harsh on Bubbles. His post doesn't come across as antagonistic. He's just stating his opinion after having driven the cars back-to-back, and I appreciate his opinion. He even joked that he's not the world's greatest driver (not sure if he was being facetious?), no big deal, take it with a grain of salt!

Besides, there are so many hugely positive reviews of the 1M, there's no reason for us to be defensive! 1M is holding its own. :-)

Last edited by ///1M; 06-08-2011 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:

I think the M3 is a pig, but it does it all well. I was just being honest of my opinion. The motor felt very pedestrian to me. A Good motor good car, just I wanted to be wow! and it didn't happen.

If the M3 is a pig, then in my mind it doesn't do it all well. Ha!

I get where you are going though, the M3 is adept at most things not master of all. The 1M is a smaller focused sports car.

And truly there is a big difference between a person that wants an M3 DCT and someone that wants a 1M. They just aren't the same buyer.

Way cool that you got to drive the cars back to back, however the only relevant 1 series forum info, is that the 1M didn't overheat... Which is great news actually..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-08-2011 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #19
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
I think the M3 is a pig, but it does it all well. I was just being honest of my opinion. The motor felt very pedestrian to me. A Good motor good car, just I wanted to be wow! and it didn't happen.
I won't go as far as saying you are a troll but come on. The car didn't "wow" you. You are about the only person I have heard that from. The automotive journalists are overwhelmingly "wowed" I am sure that they have a whole lot more seat time in amazing rides and are still being "wowed" without exception. Maybe, as you confided, the m3 with dct wows you more due to your driving skills.

Again, the car has not been proven to not be able to deal with heat so we don't have a clue what your talking about. You do not sound like an experienced track veteran so perhaps you should hold that opinion for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Why is everyone so defensive about the 1M? The OP just says it how it is on the day. Everyone will also have a different opinions on the car. All of us to be 1M owners (me included) haven't actually even driven the car yet, and he has. I don't think some of the replies towards the OP was justified as all you have read are reviews from magazines. Don't think someone who has with over 3.2k post is trying to troll. Love to hear more after more people have track time with the car in high temps.

If you want to bring out reviews - all reviews pretty much stated the M3 is a better car, but the 1M is more fun to drive.

Just want to say we should appreciate opinions from both side.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
All of us to be 1M owners (me included) haven't actually even driven the car yet, and he has.
speak for yourself...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #22
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
speak for yourself...
No reason to rub it in M3A!