BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #45
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Well that's sort of the point of this thread. I really wanted to keep it minimal talk and maximum data.

If anyone has any data to share, please do.
      01-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #46
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Here you go, just as promised:

I will have some pulls later this month on JB3 Map5, then with the DP-back Maddad Exhaust.
Attached Files
File Type: doc STOCK 135I Dyno pulls.doc (111.5 KB, 161 views)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #47
PixxByTango
Image Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Cool

I am not believing how many posts I had to read before getting to ONE dyno graph. So I will post the one from our shop car with ZERO mods other than a reflash.

That means... nothing yet has been done to this car other than waiting for hours for the reflash to load each time.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #48
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

THANK YOU PIXX!!!

FINALLY, SOME NUMBERS.

Can you be a little more specific on the car you own? What flash did you use? Dinan, procede or?

Please use the format in post #1.

Thank you!
      01-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #49
PixxByTango
Image Guru
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
THANK YOU PIXX!!!

FINALLY, SOME NUMBERS.

Can you be a little more specific on the car you own? What flash did you use? Dinan, procede or?

Please use the format in post #1.

Thank you!

Its a custom modification by tuning the original factory software. Just Stay Tuned... no pun intended. There are NO mods to this car other than just proper tuning of the factory ecu. When I say its stock... it still has OEM airfilter with XXXXX miles on it. Top Speed, Inc is a custom tuning shop for racers. They have the technology to break any locked ecu, even without having to remove the chip if needed. Hope that doesn't confuse the issue more. When the 135i hits the dyno next week, I will have some more results and definitely more power to report.

Just remember this one thing about dynos and people who trashtalk them. The people who comment about dyno results being inaccurate are typically the SAME people who didn't get that added 15rwhp from the Stickers they put on the side windows as the next guy on a different dyno. Its a tool. The real world is how it affects performance and drivability. Every car tuned at Top Speed gets a dyno tune then a real world drivability exam. Doug is Surgical with his precision and has yet to be beat at his skills. Nuff Said?

Here's something for all you Subie Converts:
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #50
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixxByTango View Post

Its a custom modification by tuning the original factory software. Just Stay Tuned... no pun intended. There are NO mods to this car other than just proper tuning of the factory ecu. When I say its stock... it still has OEM airfilter with XXXXX miles on it. Top Speed, Inc is a custom tuning shop for racers. They have the technology to break any locked ecu, even without having to remove the chip if needed. Hope that doesn't confuse the issue more. When the 135i hits the dyno next week, I will have some more results and definitely more power to report.

Just remember this one thing about dynos and people who trashtalk them. The people who comment about dyno results being inaccurate are typically the SAME people who didn't get that added 15rwhp from the Stickers they put on the side windows as the next guy on a different dyno. Its a tool. The real world is how it affects performance and drivability. Every car tuned at Top Speed gets a dyno tune then a real world drivability exam. Doug is Surgical with his precision and has yet to be beat at his skills. Nuff Said?

Here's something for all you Subie Converts:
Pixx, I don't think your explanation of the tune will confuse anyone here. There's already a good probably 3-4 companies out there that have tunes done exactly like what your company did. I like the results btw
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #51
PixxByTango
Image Guru
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Pixx, I don't think your explanation of the tune will confuse anyone here. There's already a good probably 3-4 companies out there that have tunes done exactly like what your company did. I like the results btw
Sorry if it came across negative. I read all the posts about different dyno results and simply wanted to say that every one is different... its simply a tool to start from. Its not my company... my Brother owns the shop, I just get to enjoy the benefits.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #52
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixxByTango View Post
Sorry if it came across negative. I read all the posts about different dyno results and simply wanted to say that every one is different... its simply a tool to start from. Its not my company... my Brother owns the shop, I just get to enjoy the benefits.
Thats the purpose of the thread. To see Dyno results in a controlled environment.

Are you familiar with any of the other tunes out there? Such as Procede, Dinan STG2, JB3 piggyback and SSTT to name a few?

How does your brothers shops tune compare to the above mentioned tunes and what method does he use to tune?

As was mentioned before, there are many shops out there tuning the N54B30 so you dont have to be worried about people 'hacking' your idea.
      01-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #53
PixxByTango
Image Guru
United_States
Rep

I really am not. Please don't let the impersonality of the internet make this seem more than what it is. I am in no way concerned with other businesses and their offerings. I have no stake in this nor am I advertising to offer any tunes. Time will show what the capabilities of this platform is and I will be pushing its limits on & off the race tracks during One Lap of America.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #54
Chicago135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

As promised about a year ago in this thread, I've dynoed the car with each incremental upgrade:

Red = stock
Dark Blue = GIAC stage 1 tune only
Pink = GIAC stage 1 + AMS FMIC
Light Blue = GIAC stage 1 + AMS FMIC + downpipes

Don't focus on the absolute numbers, but rather the gains from baseline. Dyno Dynamics dynos are just plain cruel.

I have since upgraded to the GIAC Stage 2 program, and their race gas program as well. I hope to have dyno results for both programs up in the next couple weeks.

EDIT: By the way, it is important to note that the DME did not have any adaptation time after the installation of the downpipes. It actually made about an additional 9whp at a full pound less boost. Once the DME bumps the boost back up again, the gains should be even more substantial.

Last edited by Chicago135i; 01-30-2011 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #55
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Hey I've done exactly what the OP suggested here in Sydney with my 135, take a look here http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397086

Some notes: 98 RON unleaded is equivalent to US 93 or 94 octane unleaded. A Dyno Dynamics machine will read about 15-20% lower than a DynoJet machine.

Baseline.
Baseline: Stock 135 coupe performance.

My 135 made 187.9 rwkw (252 rwhp) in the valet mode ~ stock on the Dyno Dynamics machine.

Stage 1.
Computer - PROcede Map 2 135 coupe performance.

My 135 made 234.1 rwkw (314 rwhp) on Map 2 on the same Dyno Dynamics machine, same day. The peak numbers show an increase of 46.2 rwkw (62 rwhp). Relatively cheap horsepower gains and a massive area under the curve which you really feel in the seat of your pants.

Next will be adding the boltons and then another power run to see what performance changes they make.

Stage 2.
Installed the previously sourced bolton mods:

Evolution Raceworks intercooler with carbon fibre shrouding, chargepipe
AR Design downpipes
CP-E exhaust system

Computer plus full boltons, map 1 and map 2.

My car made 259 rwkw on map 2 with pump unleaded with full boltons.
That represents a gain of 24.9 rwkw (33 rwhp) over the computer alone and a gain of 71.1 rwkw (95 rwhp) over the stock performance.

The onroad experience is vastly different to stock or computer alone. The response is improved to a marked degree. This is how the car should feel from the factory!

Next will come the setup with the methanol kit installed and then later using race fuel (VP Motorsport 109) and race fuel plus methanol spray.

Vishnu Methanol kit components partially installed.

Evolution Raceworks chargepipe with two methanol bungs.

Stage 3.
135 with computer, full boltons and Vishnu Methanol kit.

My car made 291.3 rwkw (393 rwhp) with PROcede, full boltons and Vishnu methanol kit (M7 nozzle) running on 98 RON pump unleaded.

Next step is to fit up a dual methanol nozzle with the same setup and with some tuner magic by Adrian (Vishnu Australia) and Peter (Advan Performance) we will see if the car can crack the 300 rwkw mark on 98 RON.

After that we will run the VP MS019 unleaded race fuel and see what difference that makes.

Stage 4.
135 with computer, full boltons, meth kit and VP MS019 unleaded race fuel.

My car made 296.1 rwkw (397 rwhp) with PROcede, full boltons, Vishnu methanol kit (dual D04 nozzles) running on VP MS109 race unleaded.

The race unleaded allowed some additional timing and another 1-2 psi in boost and gained 4.8 rwkw (~7 rwhp) over the same setup with pump unleaded (98 RON) but with a single larger meth nozzle over the dual nozzles.

Examining the dyno sheets in a bit more detail, the car picked up a useful amount of torque with race fuel over the pump fuel, however the peak horsepower number was a marginal gain (~1.6% increase).

In conclusion 98 RON pump unleaded plus methanol is convenient and makes 99% as much power as race unleaded plus methanol. Why would you bother? VP MS109 is expensive, you need a race licence to buy it and you've got to store it somewhere. I won't be using VP MS 109 going forward but it's good to find out the results for yourself.

I also suspect that a dyno run with race unleaded/ no methanol might show a large improvement over pump/ no methanol. What I mean is that race fuel is worth it if you take methanol out of the picture.

But a Vishnu methanol kit plus regular pump unleaded is a massive improvement and well worth the price.

Summary.

Stock 252 rwhp
Stage 1: Computer 314 rwhp (+62 rwhp)
Stage 2: Computer + boltons 347 rwhp (+95 rwhp)
Stage 3: Computer + boltons + meth 391 rwhp (+139 rwhp)
Stage 4: Computer + boltons + meth + race fuel 397 rwhp (+145 rwhp)

My recommendation is to go with a tune (in my case PROcede) and a methanol kit as the best bang for your buck. Adding downpipes would be the next step. All other boltons are marginal increases in power but can add fun stuff like sounding better or giving a more responsive feel.

Last edited by MrBlonde; 01-31-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #56
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Sure that isn't the DunnoJet? Seems to be a popular brand for those looking to justify cosmetic performance modifications.
LOL, good catch on something from the past!

I do have to say I like DynoJet's (free) WinPep software, there is so much stuff you can do with it by importing yours (or others) runfiles! Not sure if Mustang has something similar. I have kept a record of all my cars, and often it is a ton of fun to superimpose them and see how differently each engine behaves (and benefits, or not, of a particular bolt-on mod)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0