BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

06-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #67
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

The arrogance of M3 owners coming into a 1 series forum, pointing out deficiencies in 1 series M and expect its fans to acquiesce. Do 1 series owner walk to M3 forum and call M3 a boat, overweight, over ate, and float like a caddy boat and "THEN" complain M3 owners don't take it well? Seriously. Get over yourself.
      06-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #68
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The arrogance of M3 owners coming into a 1 series forum, pointing out deficiencies in 1 series M and expect its fans to acquiesce. Do 1 series owner walk to M3 forum and call M3 a boat, overweight, over ate, and float like a caddy boat and "THEN" complain M3 owners don't take it well? Seriously. Get over yourself.
Wow! hold on there. There is no hate or arrogance here. Just stating opinions about the 1M. Aren't we allowed to post our views\experiences\opinions without sensitive people getting offended?
I think you have twisted this into something that it really isn't (which is easy to do on a public forum)...
We all have a passion and respect for our cars. We are ALL in the ///M family right???
If you read the OP comments in this thread, you would have seen that. But instead, you fire off and are judgemental and clump ALL M3 owners as arrogant?
Sounds like you have a lot of growing up to do. Good luck with that
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #69
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

It's ok...I think they know what's coming their way so they have to find a way to sabotage the success of the car. I can't wait for my 1M to get here

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #70
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Just out of curiosity, do you still have hair left on your scalp, or have you started losing it?!? I ask because apparently all you can type to everyone is how much growing up they have to do...there's always Rogaine man! I think the grandpa of the forums has started the regression process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
Quote:
Wow! hold on there. There is no hate or arrogance here. Just stating opinions about the 1M. Aren't we allowed to post our views\experiences\opinions without sensitive people getting offended?
I think you have twisted this into something that it really isn't (which is easy to do on a public forum)...
We all have a passion and respect for our cars. We are ALL in the ///M family right???
If you read the OP comments in this thread, you would have seen that. But instead, you fire off and are judgemental and clump ALL M3 owners as arrogant?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #71
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Wow...seriously guys? I mean wow.....he had a 335i BEFORE he had the M3 so his opinion is still valid. He is obviously a BMW fan...and the OP stated clearly his reason for not desiring a 1M...what is wrong with that? Seriously people act like adults instead of fanboys.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #72
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you still have hair left on your scalp, or have you started losing it?!? I ask because apparently all you can type to everyone is how much growing up they have to do...there's always Rogaine man! I think the grandpa of the forums has started the regression process...
Actually, i have plenty of hair left. Thanks for asking.
My guess is that you and him are related? Two kids stuck in a baby carriage fighting over which one gets the pacifier first? Only little kids come onto a forum and defend something that isn't even in their possession yet nor have experience with...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #73
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Actually, i have plenty of hair left. Thanks for asking.
My guess is that you and him are related? Two kids stuck in a baby carriage fighting over which one gets the pacifier first? Only little kids come onto a forum and defend something that isn't even in their possession yet nor have experience with...
If you read the things you type twice, you wouldn't be talking about maturity. Also, I'm not sure who's defending what? You said I had to grow up because I pointed out that the M3 driver prefers the M3 over the 1M. Now, does anyone require a college degree to see that?!? Not sure how that places me in a "defensive" spot I also said that there are plenty of people in line waiting for a 1M, and that his preference of an M3 makes it one less person competing for the 1M - again, how is this in any defense? In reality, the 1M can't sell fast enough whereas I could go order myself an M3 right now if I wanted one.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #74
KillrM3
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

I always get a kick out of the endless debate over how the N54 gets over heated and the car runs out of breath. I would say that the early 335i's without the oil coolers tended to do this. I have had my 2007 335i out at Sebring and did not have any out of the ordinary temps. I also had my 2009 135i at Sebring & Road Atlanta and never experienced any of those things. In regards to the shorter wheel base. It will take a bit more skill to drive a car like the 1M. If you have ever driven an E30 M3 you would understand what I am talking about. This all being said both the E9X M3 and 1M are both fantastic cars.

BTW, I am assuming you are going to the Chin Motorsports event this weekend at Sebring. I will be attending their events when I get my 1M back from European delivery and I'll be looking forward to passing you.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #75
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
yet another irrelevant post. Dude, the 1M comes with not 1, but 2 oil coolers. It was already tracked by a member under extremely hot circumstances and the car did not go into any sort of limp mode.
Quote:
It's ok...I think they know what's coming their way so they have to find a way to sabotage the success of the car. I can't wait for my 1M to get here
Quote:
Quote:
If you read the things you type twice, you wouldn't be talking about maturity. Also, I'm not sure who's defending what? You said I had to grow up because I pointed out that the M3 driver prefers the M3 over the 1M. Now, does anyone require a college degree to see that?!? Not sure how that places me in a "defensive" spot I also said that there are plenty of people in line waiting for a 1M, and that his preference of an M3 makes it one less person competing for the 1M - again, how is this in any defense? In reality, the 1M can't sell fast enough whereas I could go order myself an M3 right now if I wanted one.
^ it is members like this who give us 1er lovers a bad name. Hope you are the minority.

Quote:
+1 well said.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #76
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what you wrote (below), which to some, may seem defensive about your 1M and attacking M3 drivers or anyone who has an opinion that conflicts with anything positive towards the 1M.. What does a college degree have to do with someone being defensive\sensitive, over an opinion of a car that conflicts with your opinion, in which you do not own nor have any experience with??
Your opinion is based on magazine articles and the OP is based on experience. With lots of track experience to boot..
Each one of us will have different experiences with many different cars and we come on here to share those. Not to start a pissing contest like, my 1M is better than your M3 or the other way around...
Also, you should consider taking your own advice. "read the things you type"
Your quotes:
"It's ok...I think they know what's coming their way so they have to find a way to sabotage the success of the car. "

"No problem...due to ignorance your opinion doesn't count anyways"

"Clearly the car is not for you, and I'm sure no one will be offended by your write up, given that there are so many individuals in line/list wishing that they could get their hands on a 1M. You not going for one is going to make someone else VERY happy! So I say: M3 drivers, please stick to your M3's!"

So, anyways, now that we went over that lesson, lets get back on track shall we? The 1M and the M3 are BOTH incredible machines and each model offers something truly special to the passionate BMW enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #77
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillrM3 View Post
I always get a kick out of the endless debate over how the N54 gets over heated and the car runs out of breath. I would say that the early 335i's without the oil coolers tended to do this. I have had my 2007 335i out at Sebring and did not have any out of the ordinary temps. I also had my 2009 135i at Sebring & Road Atlanta and never experienced any of those things.

BTW, I am assuming you are going to the Chin Motorsports event this weekend at Sebring. I will be attending their events when I get my 1M back from European delivery and I'll be looking forward to passing you.
You have had you 335i out on Sebring in the 45 minute sessions and haven't had heat soak. Seriously? What time of year? Were you running a a larger oil cooler?

Better yet, I look forward to seeing your 1M out there since we will be in the same run group. I liked your 95 M3, did you sell it?

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #78
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Fellas, this wasn't meant to turn into a "shit storm", I just wanted to share my experience.
      06-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #79
KillrM3
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

I had my 07 335i out there in the summer time a few years back with no problems. My 135i I just had out there at the Chin Event in May at Sebring with my brother driving and I was out there in my E36 M3 Racecar at the same time. It was 90 degrees plus with no over heating problems. It was in the Advanced Solo group.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #80
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillrM3 View Post
I had my 07 335i out there in the summer time a few years back with no problems. My 135i I just had out there at the Chin Event in May at Sebring with my brother driving and I was out there in my E36 M3 Racecar at the same time. It was 90 degrees plus with no over heating problems. It was in the Advanced Solo group.
I was there the day before (Saturday), so I missed you.

I look forward to seeing your new ride out there, and I look forward to the pass
      06-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #81
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Ok, so let me get this straight. When the ambient temp is 90-100deg the 1M feels less powerful after a few hot laps? Duh, my M3 felt like I had 3 full size adults riding with me in those temperatures as well compared to when it was nice and cool outside. That's why I really don't like the idea of blasting the AC, while sweating my ass off on triple digit days at the track. When the weather gets that hot, I would rather hang out by my pool. JMO
      06-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #82
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Fellas, this wasn't meant to turn into a "shit storm", I just wanted to share my experience.
Don't shy away from sharing your experience. I think it was valid and honest opinion. I am annoyed people complaining that some 1 series fans take it personally.
      06-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #83
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

Honest question, and please don't flame me for this, but... would any of the following factors affect track performance on hot days (to any significant degree):
- Exterior color (white vs. black!) -- I could imagine a couple degree difference..
- Running the A/C on high -- how close in proximity is the A/C unit to other engine vitals?

Maybe not huge factors, but was wondering if there was a conventional wisdom regarding either, for performance driving in hot climates.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #84
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Wow someone comes and gives an honest review about the 1m and his experience with heat soak and you guys treat him as if he's trying to pull some elitist crap?

Get over yourselves guys.

I track my 135i with the SAME engine as the 1m. Also have Catless downpipes, intakes and other performance mods.
I have an LSD, Coilovers and part ///m suspension.

I also am putting an intercooler / methanol injection.

I can tell you for sure. After 3-4 laps and temperatures going above 250-260 you will DEFINITELY see a noticeable decrease in power. If you don't you're either
A. Running lots of Meth to keep the engine very cool and have dual oil coolers
B. Not pushing your car hard enough to feel heat soak
C. Not very attentive to the way the car responds and drives.

At the end of the day the 1M is still an N54 powered 1 series with lots of carefully engineered suspension package (Fenders, Suspension components even LSD).

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #85
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
I won't go as far as saying you are a troll but come on. The car didn't "wow" you. You are about the only person I have heard that from. The automotive journalists are overwhelmingly "wowed" I am sure that they have a whole lot more seat time in amazing rides and are still being "wowed" without exception. Maybe, as you confided, the m3 with dct wows you more due to your driving skills.

Again, the car has not been proven to not be able to deal with heat so we don't have a clue what your talking about. You do not sound like an experienced track veteran so perhaps you should hold that opinion for yourself.
i was holy shit wowed yesterday morning when an 1m owner pulled up at a gas station in front of my work place and after running across the street and telling him my 1m was due end of juin, he offered me a ride like that! I'm a construction worker and was dirty as hell and he said hop in ,its not a piano.. When i test drove an m3 for the first time after laying down a deposit for the 1m few months ago ,i recall driving up to the dealership in my STI and then driving the beautiful m3 wich felt a bit low on punch to me.... even at higher revs...I'm sure the power is there in numbers but ehhhhh. Then i sat in the passenger seat of the 1m wich was still beeing broken in,HELLO power! Believe me , my STI is quick , but this thing is freaky quick!! the thing bounces and darts around (in a good way) like a boxer ready to strike ......its freakin awesome!!! loved the HK sound system!!! sounds bitchin! And seeing it in white in real life for the first time really helped calm me down about the color choice!!!! hooray for AW!! Moral of the story.....its a good bit quicker then the angry STI and its cheaper then the m3 wich to me is not a sporty car on the street (dont street race kids!! dont drink and drive ...practice safe sex yadi yadi yada..) . The 1m definetly felt light and sporty ,feel is everything oin a sports car....

pardon my english, i'm part french canadian,part illiterate..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #86
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
Wow someone comes and gives an honest review about the 1m and his experience with heat soak and you guys treat him as if he's trying to pull some elitist crap?

Get over yourselves guys.

I track my 135i with the SAME engine as the 1m. Also have Catless downpipes, intakes and other performance mods.
I have an LSD, Coilovers and part ///m suspension.

I also am putting an intercooler / methanol injection.

I can tell you for sure. After 3-4 laps and temperatures going above 250-260 you will DEFINITELY see a noticeable decrease in power. If you don't you're either
A. Running lots of Meth to keep the engine very cool and have dual oil coolers
B. Not pushing your car hard enough to feel heat soak
C. Not very attentive to the way the car responds and drives.

At the end of the day the 1M is still an N54 powered 1 series with lots of carefully engineered suspension package (Fenders, Suspension components even LSD).
Dan Parker experienced no heat issues and I think the guy is quite qualified.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=540565&page=2

I, like most, are taking the OPs comments with a grain of salt. Over and over again we have heard M3 drivers trash the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #87
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Dan Parker experienced no heat issues and I think the guy is quite qualified.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=540565&page=2

I, like most, are taking the OPs comments with a grain of salt. Over and over again we have heard M3 drivers trash the 1M.
I already pointed this out, mainly to the guy who was suggesting that they should equip the 1M with an oil cooler, without knowing it actually has 2 of them. Like you said, take it with a grain of salt - I'm personally taking it with a tablespoon of it. This is simply an opinion which is not reflective of what most reviews of the car have disclosed.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #88
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Thanks for your opinions Bubbles. Come to think of it an M6 left Road Atlanta due to overheating and an E36 M3 overheated and believed he destroyed his engine. I do not want to get involved in the pissing match but I do have a couple questions.

Did you guys drive with MDM on or off? When I drove Road Atlanta last Monday I shut everything off for most of the day but several times when I had it on I felt a loss of power, glanced down and didn't see the light flashing and after another glance up then down it was flashing briefly. I stayed in the throttle and after what seemed like an eternity it would give back the reins. I would have mistaken it for a loss of power but it was actually the computer stepping in. I wonder if there's a threshold where the light comes on vs. power cut by the electronics. I'm not looking for excuses here, just curious.

Were you driving in other cars drafts? I made sure I didn't in order to keep airflow at a maximum.

Temps at Road Atlanta reached 98 ambient and 132 track temp so I'm surprised the 1M lost power at VIR. What were the temps? Both tracks are similar in the amount of wide open throttle you use but it's obviously not apples to apples.

Actually, that brings up another question, what track configuration did BMW use?

It must have been cool to hop from one car to another.
Thanks.