BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #23
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Sorry for the delay. Didn't get a chance to get the pictures and post them. BTW, ignore the green harnesses. I'm not color blind :biggrin:, they were loaners from one of our customer's rally car.

Here they are:

As I mentioned before, the harness bar sits in front of the seats and attaches behind the seat by the rear strut tower. The bracket goes in between the seats. I did this so that I can keep the rear seats up to act as a bulkhead. I needed the bulkhead (seats up) because our methanol injection tank is in the trunk. This is to comply with rules in our race series.

This is not needed however everyone else as you guys don't have a methanol tank in the trunk. I can build the bar straight across in the truck and to access the bar for your harness, all you need to do is bring the rear seat down. It also can act like a rear strut tower bar. If you guys are interested, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #24
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

It is bolted to the chassis. I had special needs so that I had to build our specific harness bar the way it is. The bar is bolted and is also wedged in between the seats. I highly doubt this thing will be flying anywhere.

If I do build a production harness bar, it will be sitting in the trunk (bar going straight across the shock towers) which is the ideal way and also acts as a strut tower bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@Jlevi SW View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Your harness bar is mounted behind the rear seats so technically it's not in the cabin correct? is it bolted or welded? I've heard horror stories regarding driver injuries involving airborne harness bars. Because of this I've always been weary of harness bars. Was this an issue you came across and if so what did you do to prevent it?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #25
emongoose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

:headbang: I like this very much, especially the idea of the bar spanning the rear strut towers... remaining out of the way and adding rigidity to the rear strut towers.

I will have to measure the distance from between the strut towers to the seat to determine if I have a set of shoulder harness long enough to reach, or if I'd need to acquire a new set.

Expanding on this thread...

What are people doing about mounts for the lap and sub belts? I used a steel mount which slipped between the two rear seat mounts to bolt the lap belts to... and then I attached the sub-belts to the front seat mounting points.

At least your belts weren't pink!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #26
emongoose
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm sure the bar you have there is steel. What would you think about aluminum?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #27
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Lap belt I had attached to the bolt on the floor behind the seat where the OEM seat belt attaches to. The other side of the lap belt, is not bolt in no good place to safely mount. Sub belt again . Plus side, I shaved a bunch of weight from the seat. Also, to properly mount the sub belt, the subwoofer/speaker? under the seat was removed which saved weight too.

Remember, mount the harnesses correctly. Read the instructions if you're not clear. Don't rig your safety equipment. It will be the difference between walking out or being carried out of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emongoose View Post
:headbang: I like this very much, especially the ideaf the bar spanning the rear strut towers... remaining out of the way and adding rigidity to the rear strut towers.

I will have to measure the distance from between the strut towers to the seat to determine if I have a set of shoulder harness long enough to reach, or if I'd need to acquire a new set.

Expanding on this thread...

What are people doing about mounts for the lap and sub belts? I used a steel mount which slipped between the two rear seat mounts to bolt the lap belts to... and then I attached the sub-belts to the front seat mounting points.

At least your belts weren't pink!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #28
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ack!!! I hope you're not serious. Keep in mind your life is dependent on your harness holding you in the seat. The aluminum bar will definitely flex in an accident when your 150-200? weight frame shifts forward. It might even fail, breaking the bar and sending shrapnel of aluminum flying in the cabin.

The only material I would use would be 0.125 wall DOM steel or 4130 0.95 wall chromoly. This is the same material we use to build roll cages and I would not trust anything else when someone's life is on the line. DOM means "drawn over mandrel". This means that the tubing is formed on a mandrel (metal stick). Regular tubing is rolled from a sheet and then welded. This welded seam is weaker than the rest of the body and when the tubing fails, splits at the seam and should never be used. This is also the same for aluminum tubing. It is rolled from a flat piece and then welded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emongoose View Post
I'm sure the bar you have there is steel. What would you think about aluminum?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #29
FreeBMW.net
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Put me down for a harness / strut bar if you make one
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #30
emongoose
Enlisted Member
Rep

[quote=Evolution Racewerks;316733]Ack!!! I hope you're not serious... quote]

I was thinking about solid aluminum round bar stock, such as that used on hardbarusa.com's C5 harness bars. But that's irrelevant... a "moly" bar would be great too... and a bar of that size will only weigh ~ 15 lbs v. an equivelent ~5lbs for an aluminium piece.

Now a lap/sub harness mount that bolts under the front seats rear mounting points (see hardbarusa.com for an example used on the corvettes) needs to be developed for a clean installation that doesn't interfere with the factory harnesses (for us autocross guys) and still provides excellent security.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #31
jah29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: black E82

thanks for posting these pictures. that's exactly the kind of harness bar I want! If you're going to sell these I'd be interested in buying one. Well, after I get out on the track a few times. I need to make sure I like the way the car handles on the track. I'm only on my second tank of gas!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #32
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'll make another one that sits inside the trunk and take some pics and you guys can decide which you guys prefer. I have a few urgent projects I have to finish up first though. Since this isn't a major undertaking, shouldn't be a problem doing a small production run for those interested.
Appreciate 0