BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
siebert_12
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Lightbulb N54 Turbo Upgrade

I recently had AA catless downpipes installed by my local shop (I'm deployed and wanted them waiting for me when I return )

The said I had a rattle coming from one of my turbos, I'm taking a guess to say it's the wastegate? I've been tossing the idea around of upgrading the turbos for a while and I wanted some advice on whether to take the plunge now or see how much more use I can get out of the stock turbos?

I've seen RB is a pretty popular option and has a relatively low core charge cost which is always a plus. Also, seen Vivid Racing has a decent solution.

I was wondering what kind of set ups some people on here are using and if they had any advice?

My '09 135i has 74K miles and has JB4, AA charge pipe +BOV, aFe DCI, AA DP's, and AA signature exhaust. I plan on upgrading the FMIC before anything with the turbos though.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I have a little rattle on mine as well. They still hold almost 20 psi. I would wait if the rattle is tolerable when you get back. Lots of turbo kits coming out now and you might see some better options this next coming year.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
siebert_12
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I was using map 1 since I hadn't had my DPs installed yet. When I get back I was going to start (or wanted to start) running a 30% ethanol/70% 91 octane mixture on map 5. I honestly wasn't sure if it was a good idea with the rattle. Basically just wondering if the rattle was normal or if it was a precursor to a bigger problem?
(I know the subject of this post is a little different, but still a little of a concern)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 03:58 AM   #4
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Your turbos are still under warranty, take the mods off and take it in for new ones.
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by siebert_12 View Post
I recently had AA catless downpipes installed by my local shop (I'm deployed and wanted them waiting for me when I return )

The said I had a rattle coming from one of my turbos, I'm taking a guess to say it's the wastegate? I've been tossing the idea around of upgrading the turbos for a while and I wanted some advice on whether to take the plunge now or see how much more use I can get out of the stock turbos?

I've seen RB is a pretty popular option and has a relatively low core charge cost which is always a plus. Also, seen Vivid Racing has a decent solution.

I was wondering what kind of set ups some people on here are using and if they had any advice?

My '09 135i has 74K miles and has JB4, AA charge pipe +BOV, aFe DCI, AA DP's, and AA signature exhaust. I plan on upgrading the FMIC before anything with the turbos though.
You have a nice AA set up there, you definitely need to complete with the FMIC.
As for turbos, RB are working on some new ones, i would wait on that before making a new turbo purchase

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0