BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Q re. iphone 3G

Afternoon 1'ers,

I'm considering getting my hands on an iPhone 3G and thought to ask- if any of you have one of these little gadgets, does it sync up to your 1 series via the bluetooth link-up ok? Any problems with reading the address book etc?

My current phone, a SE W595 connects without a problem and given it's not a 'must have' purchase I'm trying to make sure it ticks all the right boxes first.

I'm not expecting to run my music off it into the car, I have a dedicated 8GB flash drive for that purpose.

cheers in advance,
Mattyv.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

My car is coming soon in 2 weeks - if you can't get an answer and can hold it off till then, I'll try it out and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
kevi21
Rep
Drives:

I've used a iPhone 3G ever since I've had the car.

I have problems with the phone with regards to reception. The person on the other end of the phone cannot hear me clearly..though I can hear them perfectly.

I was informed by the service rep at Westside BMW that this is occuring throughout all 1-series and they are working on a patch for it (without a definite timframe). The problem was occuring in the states as well from what I found on this website.

In terms of fuctions I have no complaints about it, it all works fine.

Maybe useful to talk to the dealer prior to your purchase? I would like to hear what is their response (i.e. maybe they were telling me lies and there's something wrong with my car!)
      05-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

i have used my iphone through the blue tooth for the past 6 months cos i refuse to pay so much for the car kit. it works fine through the blue tooth i have never had a problem. You can buy an aux plug and use the ipod in the iphone and use the phone through the blue tooth at the same time. Just watch the volume you set your phones ringing volume at as it stays unbelievably loud if you have been listening to your ipod really loud and can scare the shit out of you if you forget to turn the volume back down.
don't bother scrolling through names via the steering wheel buttons unless you have less then 10 contacts.
other then that its the best phone i have ever used.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

My iPhone 3G works brilliantly with the car.

I haven't had any problems with people at the other end not being able to hear me. It syncs the contacts list pretty much instantly and pairing it was very straight forward (the dealer did it when I picked the car up).

The only disappointment - and this will no doubt be a software compatibility issue - the "address book" in iDrive won't pick up the addresses in your phone contacts list, only the phone numbers. This means that you have to enter the addresses for your contacts manually into the iDrive for use by the Nav. Bit of a bummer.

The other thing is that you can charge the phone through the iPod connector (if you stuimp up for the $150 cable!). You will get a message on the phone saying that it is not a supported device, but just ignore that. Connected via the cable the phone still works, you can use it as an ipod, and it will charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

I use the 3G iphone with the Y cable. It was a gift when I bought the car. I think the cable is essential to play music and charge the phone. I also have the same problem as kevi21. I can hear callers very well but they complain about my volume.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Nick135i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I use 3G iphone, bluetooth, with a non iDrive car.

I have had zero problems. I am quite impressed how well it works.
      05-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

I don't use my iPhone much in the car, but it works OK when I do. I've found that the receiver of my call can hear me better if I have all the windows up, the vents angled down (away from the mic), and the volume adjusted so that it's not excessively loud. The latter can interfere with the mic and cause issues for the receiver hearing your voice.
      05-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Also, if anyone is searching on the forum the HTC Touch/T-Mobile G1 (google phone) works fine with the car also.

Although, when i got it it was running android 1.0 and it did not connect, after upgrading to 1.5 it was fine.
      05-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Also, if you are considering the Blackberry Storm, it has worked perfectly for me since I have had the car :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
Furo125i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW/CORAL 125i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargeek View Post
I also have the same problem as kevi21. I can hear callers very well but they complain about my volume.
same problem here, i noticed that this only happens when the other caller is outdoors, otherwise if they are indoors/home they can hear me just fine. if it's a problem with the mic in the car..