BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Wandasboy
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i AT MSport

Tires - How Big A Menace...

... are my OEM Eagle NCT 5 Run Flats in light snow? Can't find surveys or tests on them on Tire Rack. I just bought my 128 M Sport. No all-season run flats in my sizes. Not enough snow here in Maryland to warrant winter tires. I want to get out of mode of swapping out twice a year, don't want to buy new wheels, don't relish paying RF surcharge every time I swap tires on current wheels.

So... kind of thinking I should keep fingers crossed and not swap out until OEMs worn out. Then go with all season non-RFs. Which brings me back to original question - anybody have an idea just how bad the OEMs are in the snow?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Mine did just fine - as long as the car stayed in the garage. The simple answer is that it is doubtful your car will move at all in snow with the NCTs as they are SUMMER tires.

If you have another car, leave the 1er at home in snow or sub-freezing temps. If not, the Conti DWS worked very well on my 128i and are reputed to be OK for the amount of snow we normally get in MD. Just throw a compressor & plug kit in the trunk to ward off punctures.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

lol here in NY and i bought snow tires. We got a few inches with the noreaster that hit us a week ago, i drove with my hankook ventus v12's in it and it's was interesting to say the least. It's completely possibly despite what everyone here will tell you, it's just incredibly sketchy. the car is always on edge of breaking loose and its more of a hassle to drive so carefully then it is to switch rims and tires twice a year.

edit: + summer tires just don't work well on cold roads. I still have mine on and they just don't grip as well as they did in the higher temps. I saw winter rims and tires as a necessity because i dont even want to risk totalling my new(to me) 128, so weigh the costs and decide.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

A couple of points here:
If you buy wheels for you winter tires you will actually save money in the long run. If you run winter tires and summer tires on the same wheel you pay remounts two times a year. Over a few years the wheels will pay for themselves. Plus you will not have to sit in some tire store while they do the swap. Also less likely you will have to deal with balance issues if you are not remounting two times a year. One drawback for many on this forum is they have nowhere to store tires or do the changeover.

Now the run flats are slippery even on day roads when the temps drop below 40 deg C. so it’s not just the snow you have to worry about.

Say you stay on summer tires and have an accident. Say you have $500 deductible and would have to pay the $500 which could have gone toward the winter tire setup which may have helped you avoid an accident.

Just my 2 cents but not only my 135i gets a winter set up, I have a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with locking diffs that I run winter wheels that are sipped and studded. No way am I going to miss a powder day on the slopes! I have had a few near misses on snow where people out of control and I was able to avoid the situation due to the control on snow with a winter setup. No Brainer for me!
      11-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While I'm happy with all seasons in the DC area, you may wish to follow IDBMWs advice in Frederick - especially if you head west very often. I'm not sure what you mean by a "RFT surcharge", but if you want to stay with RFTs, I'd recommend a Tire Rack 17" wheel/tire package, preferably with Dunlop M3 tires. It's much, much easier to swap wheels than to dismount & remount tires twice a year.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

TR has steelies in 17x7 painted silver right now for 99ea. I wish I saw those before I bought a used setup but no biggie. Pair that with a 205/50 17 set of snow tires and you have the ideal setup. Strong if you happen to bounce a curb and won't cake with snow as easily as spoke wheels.

I "drove" (see: slid and spun) out of my parking lot a week ago after the little flurries we had. Wasn't confidence inspiring...

Oh and BMWs don't care if the TPMS is paired with the ecu already. Just reset it with the correct frequency TPMS in and it works fine. I had to go to my dealer with my Subaru to get them paired. Wasn't worth it.
      11-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Wandasboy
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i AT MSport

Thanks for all the replies.

What I meant by "RFT surcharge" is that shops are charging a fee of about $10 a tire around here to mount or dismount run-flats - above the fees they charge to do those actions on non-runflats.

I appreciate the perspective about the value of purchasing wheels vs. frequent mount-dismounts. What I had thought to do in lieu of that was to change out once to all-season non-run flats then keep the run-flats in basement until I sell the car and give them to whoever buys it - or maybe try to sell the tires online. I understand the OEM run-flats get pretty poor mileage anyhow. So the twice-a-year mount and remount would not apply.
Appreciate 0