BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
tom34
Rep
Drives: 135i

Karcher damage?

Hey guys just bought a karcher which is awesome but just wondering if it could damage the paintwork? The thing is pretty powerful. I got a 2.4 unit i think. How close to the nozzle can i spray the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'm not sure if it will damage the paint or not, but I've never been a fan of high pressure hoses on cars. Not so much for the paintwork, but high pressure forces water into places where water shouldn't be going.
      05-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I've used a karcher for a few years and have never noticed any damage but have wondered if there may be unseen damage to the paintwork. I got my hand caught in front of it at point blank range once and it drew blood! I just make sure I don't stand too close.

I actually ran over my old one last weekend while washing my wifes 4wd. Was rapt with that. Anyway the next one i get I'm going to get with the variable jet spray attachment so you can reduce the power if you need to get up close.
      05-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Bimmerle
just a little Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport coupe

I have recently bought a Kaercher the other day, principally to clean black-green algae from the paths around the house. Just a K2 model, but does a great job. I'm not sure whether I am going to risk it on the car yet. I worry about driving particles of dirt and grit into the paintwork. Also, I'm not sure whether plain water will get road scum off either (you know, accumulated diesel fumes from trucks and buses, etc). I know during the water crisis here I took it to the self-service car wash, and just did a plain water high pressure hose down, followed by a spot-free water rinse. I parked the car outside the car wash and used my chamois to wipe it down. I got a brown stain on my chamois. I am worried about a gradual build up of greasy road stuff.

I have the Colour Shield DIY treatment on my car, and this seems to have cut the need for washing quite a bit. After our recent trip, insect bodies washed off easily. When it's quite grimy, I use a little of their neutral pH shampoo (a capful in a bucket of water) with a microfibre mitt, and just rinse it down. It takes about 15 minutes to do the car. By the time I would get the Kaercher out, plug in the extension lead, etc., I'm done with the shampoo wash, and this includes detailing the wheels (always the most time-consuming part).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

I use a Karcher on all my cars every time i wash. I think they are great... Ive only got the lowest pressure one, but just keep it at about 0.7-1m away from the paintwork and it does a great job IMO. Never had any problems with paint scratching or similar. Been using them for over 10 years too....

I just use it for the first rinse off and then to remove the wash once ive finished washing... Uses very little water too, less than a bucket for 2 "go-overs", from filtered tank water...

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I don't think a home "high pressure cleaner will do much but the commercial ones have some grunt.

The main problem I have experienced in the past is if you have stone chips and the pressure can get under and lift the paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

It potentially can, make sure you don't use a dirt blaster on it and make sure you have some distance. I have knocked off the wheel weights on the car before.

The other issue is if you have high pressure on it before you treat the dirt - they would be shooting at high velocity on the paint work.

So the tip would be to foam the car up first, make sure you don't use the highest setting to blast everything off especially on the paint work, and take a step back.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
The main problem I have experienced in the past is if you have stone chips and the pressure can get under and lift the paint.
this...

It doesn't take a very big stonchip at all either, my (black) astra had funny little white spots which I worked out were stonechips that had been made bigger by blasting it with the high pressure cleaner. With the paint on the 1, that seems to be made out of diluted crayons it's so soft, I'm VERY wary of using them on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
tom34
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks guys.

I've been careful with it so far and from what it sounds it'll keep it that way. I've been using it to foam the car and rinse only 0.7-1m away from the car.

I had brake dust on the doors and front quarter panel and was thinking bout blasting it off but thought better and wiped it off with a microfibre and neutral detergent in a bucket style.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Use/spray WD 40 or Inox on the front (bugs) and wheels first then just blast away. Crap gone.
Appreciate 0