BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
drewh130
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 135i vert

Software Update Gas mileage

So I got the new software update a few weeks ago and my gas mileage has gone down CONSIDERABLY. I went from averaging 18mpg in spirited city driving to 14-15 mpg driving like a grandma (because I'm trying to conserve to improve my mileage). Has this happened to anyone else? Should I bring it into the dealer? I'm sorry but 15 mpg when I never go WOT is crazy to me!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I bet you have a N54 right?

I say that bc after my SW update I noticed that the engine feels less torquey -so you tend to use the gas pedal more. For me to get the same perforance wuth just a 1/4 throttle before.. I needed almost 1/2 throttle. The new SW update sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
drewh130
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

I say that bc after my SW update I noticed that the engine feels less torquey -so you tend to use the gas pedal more. For me to get the same perforance wuth just a 1/4 throttle before.. I needed almost 1/2 throttle. The new SW update sucks.
I do have the n54. But, I have barely been pressing the gas pedal. I'm talking about all 1500-2000 rpm shifts. They performed an oil change when they did they software update and did the 30k mile check as well. Could any of this had an effect? Im getting about 200 miles per tank...its crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Brad135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 FiST

Quote:

Well said!

I did notice a 1.5 to 2 mpg drop in fuel efficiency since the reflash, but that's all.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

This whole concept of updating software as part of car maintenance is new to me and I have not owned a BMW before so please excuse my ignorance.

I like to avoid having a dealership do maintenance on my car if possible and usually use a trusted mechanic for that, can only a dealership do these updates or can other BMW mechanics do them aswell?

Is it an IT guy or a mechanic who actually hooks the hardware up to your car?
      08-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh130 View Post
I do have the n54. But, I have barely been pressing the gas pedal. I'm talking about all 1500-2000 rpm shifts. They performed an oil change when they did they software update and did the 30k mile check as well. Could any of this had an effect? Im getting about 200 miles per tank...its crazy.

Well... what about the usuall suspects: air filter, tire pressure, spark plugs, fuel brand and type (octane)...

Speaking of fuel type... how much ethanol is in your fuel? Those 10% ethonal fuels really cut your fuel mileage.

IF everything is ok, you might have your dealer check for any codes and even have them check the lambda signal value. It should be right around 1.0 +/- 0.2% Perhaps your O2 sensor(s) are bad and the DME is over correcting.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
This whole concept of updating software as part of car maintenance is new to me and I have not owned a BMW before so please excuse my ignorance.

I like to avoid having a dealership do maintenance on my car if possible and usually use a trusted mechanic for that, can only a dealership do these updates or can other BMW mechanics do them aswell?

Is it an IT guy or a mechanic who actually does them?

IF your car is running fine I would stay away from any SW updates. They really are not good. Especially if you have a N54. I have even been wondering what I will do when (IF ever) my HPFP dies. I think I would be temped to just buy a new HPFP($300-ish) and install it privately. BC I know BMW will want me to run a new SW version that will further change the way my car runs.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

I am sure you could demand they don't flash the firmware? At the end of the day you own the car regardless of what they suggest, the worst they can do is refuse to touch the car.
      08-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I took my 135i in for cracked 3rd brake light and fuel injector check TSB’s last Tuesday and immediately noticed a 4 mpg drop in as mileage. I pretty much drive my 135i to work and back and would get 22 mpg solid. Now I am getting 18 mpg. I have a really good relationship with the dealer so I will call them Monday and see what they say. I need to look at my documentation I got after the work to see if it is new SW version or just a reprogram but they did tell me they would have to reprogram after the work.
      08-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I just got the sw update, reluctantly. But I have noticed 2 things. 1. The car is much smoother in shifting now, 6MT N54. 2. The car seems to accept WOT more, and I hear a deep rumble in the exhaust as low as 2k rpm where it used to be between 2.5k rpm and 3k rpm depending on the gear. (I have the performance exhaust, so your mileage may vary.)

Cons so far: drinks gas much more happily, even when coasting/hypermiling, at WOT the turbo seems to not use as much pressure as before, car is smoother but slower.

This is my first turbo car, but I have not felt "turbolag yet" aber in den USA haben wir nicht frohlichen Polizei. So I have yet to test the car in ideal circumstances.

I will say this, for me the new SW works and fills the motto "Freude am Fahren" but only in the case of smoother driving. This N54 has been tamed, for better and for worse.

My CA advised me against declining the SW update saying that I might not lose my remaining warranty but should the same part fail again, BMW might not cover the repair.

So I have a question to all you post SW update N54 owners with a nonapproved flash( not Dinan or BMW's) :if any of you have gone for any warrantied repair, has BMW put new measures for tune detection?

Thanks,
NurEinser
Quote:

I say that bc after my SW update I noticed that the engine feels less torquey -so you tend to use the gas pedal more. For me to get the same performance wuth just a 1/4 throttle before.. I needed almost 1/2 throttle. The new SW update sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
I took my 135i in for cracked 3rd brake light and fuel injector check TSB’s last Tuesday and immediately noticed a 4 mpg drop in as mileage. I pretty much drive my 135i to work and back and would get 22 mpg solid. Now I am getting 18 mpg. I have a really good relationship with the dealer so I will call them Monday and see what they say. I need to look at my documentation I got after the work to see if it is new SW version or just a reprogram but they did tell me they would have to reprogram after the work.
No need to wait until monday... just go out to your car and switch off the DSC completely. IF you see the new DSC icon you have the new crappy SW. IF you still have th original yellow circle with the arrow... you have an older SW version.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
drewh130
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well... what about the usuall suspects: air filter, tire pressure, spark plugs, fuel brand and type (octane)...

Speaking of fuel type... how much ethanol is in your fuel? Those 10% ethonal fuels really cut your fuel mileage.

IF everything is ok, you might have your dealer check for any codes and even have them check the lambda signal value. It should be right around 1.0 +/- 0.2% Perhaps your O2 sensor(s) are bad and the DME is over correcting.

Dackel
I'll check the air pressure but since we have the free maintenance I'll have the dealer check everything else. I only use Chevron or Shell gasoline so I doubt thats the case.

One thing I have noticed is that when I reset the computer so there is less data to calculate the average mileage I can see a SHARP drop every time I start the car. I filled the car last night, drove it for 30 miles and came home with an average mpg of 18. I started the car this morning, drove it 2 miles and I was down to 16. The engine was then warm and I drove it back home for 2 miles and I was back up to 17. Then I took it to the the aprtment complex car wash and it dropped back to 16 mpg after driving it for 100 yards. I know starting the car takes a lot of gas and so does driving on a cold engine but geez...18 to 16 mpg in 2 miles? wtf
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
No need to wait until monday... just go out to your car and switch off the DSC completely. IF you see the new DSC icon you have the new crappy SW. IF you still have th original yellow circle with the arrow... you have an older SW version.
Good to know and thanks for the info on how to tell but I am at my cabin and the 135i is two hours away. Will check tomorrow night when I get home.
      08-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
SSSP8SSSP8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I had the software update and one fuel injector replaced at my last visit to the dealer and I am actually happier with the car. Mileage has improved from 21-23 mpg to 23-25 mpg. I drive a lot of highway to work but I do get on it from time to time. Honestly, can't really tell any difference in power. I live in Phoenix, so I feel decreased power and less performance in these super hot summer months when the air is not as dense and boost is less compared to cooler months.
Appreciate 0