BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
spidartanks
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hi...new here, new car, looking for upgrades in the future

Hi, i just sold my toy car..2003 SVT Cobra Convertible. it had 540 RWHP so it was pretty fast.
i'll miss it, but the BMW seems like a pretty stout performer and it is easy to live with and drives sooooo nice!

i impulse bought the 135 after test driving for my girlfriend and realized how fun it is to drive.
i was looking into saving for an Audi A5....(dont hate)
now looking back i think i prefer the 135i but perhaps wish i had gotten the 335i instead for more pracical reasons!

either way im stuck with my car now and i want to make it fun and reliable and a tad faster. the turbo lag seems to really bother me, especially coming from my cobra to this. its not horrible but a little more responsive would be nice.

my upgrades, and do want to keep it simple and not go crazy.
performance wise:
jb4 (just beacuse i can change tunes for when gf drives car, and for winter driving also)
downpipes (i'd rather not change sound too drastically, dont want to sound like a ricer, but exotic car sounding is nice)

visual mods:
Angel Eyes
Black vinyl roof to match rims and to make it more "manly" *not sure if i should do matt black vinyl same as rims, OR gloss) i think gloss perhaps more for matching windows?

anyways sorry to gab on!

great site.. look forward to learn
cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Congrats on the purchase! 540* whp to the 1er is a bit of a step down power-wise, but it's still a blast to drive and nicer/more upscale.

I don't know if you've installed the JB4 or DPs yet, but both of those should help with the turbo lag. Also, since it's a 2009, what's the mileage? If it's above a couple dozen thousand, it could have a bit of carbon buildup gunking the engine, affecting the power and delivery of that power.

I was looking at the A5 myself; couldn't afford the S5 at the time. I wanted to 300/300 turbo engine. The A5 looks nicer, but it definitely isn't as fun!

Anyway, congrats, and definitely post some pictures!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Last edited by 1speedbike; 07-11-2012 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
spidartanks
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Yes, the a5 isnt as fun to drive. it IS better gas milage wise with a 2.2 turbo 4 instead BUT not as fun!
i actually drove an s5 a few weeks ago and i was disappointed in the power that it DOESNT have.

my car is an 09 with 70000kms on it now. so thats what 40000miles?
im not complaining of the power delivery, just the turbo lag which i assume was normal.

jb4 and downpipes will be next year. but i do want it to look more agressive/manly. i ended up with white which i like i just need it more masculine. black rims/roof/mirrors will help...

i love the look of white halos from Burger too $129, i'll order them soon.

once i get good pics i'll share
cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidartanks View Post
my upgrades, and do want to keep it simple and not go crazy.
performance wise:
jb4 (just beacuse i can change tunes for when gf drives car, and for winter driving also)
downpipes (i'd rather not change sound too drastically, dont want to sound like a ricer, but exotic car sounding is nice)

visual mods:
Angel Eyes
Black vinyl roof to match rims and to make it more "manly" *not sure if i should do matt black vinyl same as rims, OR gloss) i think gloss perhaps more for matching windows?
It is a bit expensive but you can try catted DPs. I love my Ar catted DPs and they are not as loud as catless. Black roof and black wheels will definitely man-it-up and will look great! Maybe go for an aftermarket diffuser too. Just be careful ...once you start modding it is hard to stop GL

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0