BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Key fob woes

So when I bought my car 2 weeks ago it only came with one key. I got a call yesterday from the dealer and a 2nd key for the car arrived with the manual. I was pretty excited I didn't have to buy another key. I tried to use the 2nd key I recieved and ran into a few problems. The comfort access was not working and none of the buttons were working. However when I put the key in the "ignition" the car started. So I put a new (correct) battery in the remote and tried again. Everything worked; buttons on fob and comfort access.

Now the problem lies with my 1st key. I put the 2nd key back into my house for a spare and went back to using the original key which I never had an issue with. Now this key is having the same exact symptoms of the 2nd key initially had. This key will start the car in the "ignition" but no other functions of comfort access or fob buttons work.

I've been reading the manual and have not seen anything that explains switching keys and if there are any steps to activate a key. I have started and stoped the engine several times with my key and it has not returned to normal operation.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there something I am suppose to do when switching back and forth between my two keys??
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
try getting a new battery for it and see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I had a similar problem, turns out the original owner lost one of the fobs and when I purchased the vehicle they used one from a 5 series. The service department was able to reprogram the problematic fob easily.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I put in a new battery and all the comfort access features now work but the buttons on the remote still do not. I'll look into getting it reprogrammed.
Appreciate 0