BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #23
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Their policy seems okay to me. They could have said, put your stock wheels back on and send the cracked ones in for inspection. The bottom line is they need to inspect before issuing a replacement. That's how it works in business. It just happens to be a bit more inconvenient in the case of wheels.

I've had nothing but great experiences with Tirerack. I had brembo rotors shipped from tire rack and damaged through the carrier. I snapped a few photos of the rotors and messed up box they came in and sent a quick email to tirerack. They responded right away and said a new set was on the way. I didn't even have to ship back the damaged set. They said to just dump them. Obviously this is a different scenario, but just wanted to reinforce the great customer service from tirerack.

As far as the cracks go, it seems like a freak accident to me. I live around some of the worst roads. Potholes, cracks, and dips are everywhere. I've hit quite a few over the 7-8k miles I've had my breytons and have done an autox and car control clinic. These wheels have been rock solid for me.

If you truly haven't hit anything recently, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as getting them replaced under warranty.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #24
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

I will have to say that is could have been a freak quality control issue in a certain batch of the wheels....since it was only the fronts. It doesnt make the wheel poorly made or not...defects do happen. And IMO, there is no need to start cussing and pointing fingers...

I would have been upset as well, but I would have just put my stock wheels back on and contacted Gill to see where to go from there. I have the GTS-Rs as well only for 2 weeks now and try to avoid every pot hole lol.
      10-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #25
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sud View Post
I will have to say that is could have been a freak quality control issue in a certain batch of the wheels....since it was only the fronts. It doesnt make the wheel poorly made or not...defects do happen. And IMO, there is no need to start cussing and pointing fingers...

I would have been upset as well, but I would have just put my stock wheels back on and contacted Gill to see where to go from there. I have the GTS-Rs as well only for 2 weeks now and try to avoid every pot hole lol.
I have a feeling his stock wheels are missing tires. Looks like the OEM Bridgestones are on the Breytons.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #26
J-Sud
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
I have a feeling his stock wheels are missing tires. Looks like the OEM Bridgestones are on the Breytons.
I hear you....although...i am not sure i would run runflats on the wheel as the sidewalls are way too stiff. its only a 17lbs wheel...not much material...softer sidewalls would be much more forgiving imo...
      10-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #27
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sud View Post
I hear you....although...i am not sure i would run runflats on the wheel as the sidewalls are way too stiff. its only a 17lbs wheel...not much material...softer sidewalls would be much more forgiving imo...
If running RFTs is enough to cause the wheel to crack, the wheel has no business being sold for street use.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #28
J-Sud
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
If running RFTs is enough to cause the wheel to crack, the wheel has no business being sold for street use.
i never said that was the cause...just saying that putting regular tire would help with impacts.
      10-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #29
niuzai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e81 3dr

oh my....
my gts-r been running abt 15k and i loves it...
bought it from a local dealer in sg.
need to watch this closely
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #30
tjockey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Their policy seems okay to me. They could have said, put your stock wheels back on and send the cracked ones in for inspection. The bottom line is they need to inspect before issuing a replacement. That's how it works in business. It just happens to be a bit more inconvenient in the case of wheels.

I've had nothing but great experiences with Tirerack. I had brembo rotors shipped from tire rack and damaged through the carrier. I snapped a few photos of the rotors and messed up box they came in and sent a quick email to tirerack. They responded right away and said a new set was on the way. I didn't even have to ship back the damaged set. They said to just dump them. Obviously this is a different scenario, but just wanted to reinforce the great customer service from tirerack.

As far as the cracks go, it seems like a freak accident to me. I live around some of the worst roads. Potholes, cracks, and dips are everywhere. I've hit quite a few over the 7-8k miles I've had my breytons and have done an autox and car control clinic. These wheels have been rock solid for me.

If you truly haven't hit anything recently, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as getting them replaced under warranty.

+1 here...I love mine and had no problems with non-runflats ....Easy too maintain and great service from Tire Rack...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #31
Stig'sM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Houston does have some horrible streets. I always feel like I am offroading by the med center. I should have gotten the Rally 135i edition
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #32
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My Breyton's are cracked in the exact same way as 'TexasKid' above. Will post pictures later this week... I bought them used... Ordered a new wheel and will keep the old one as a spare...

A word to the wise about these wheels... They look awesome, they're super light weight... but you have to be very careful if you live in an area w/ crappy roads (i.e. myself in NY/NJ area...)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #33
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

That is a bummer man sorry. I was really considering these rims since they are light and look nice. The VMR Alufelgen are nice but are still too heavy for me. I know they will likely hold up better though. The only other well I am looking at are the APex ARC 8's if I can get them in flat black or gloss maybe. These light weight cast rims are a gamble it seems sometimes but if you hit a pot hole hard enough you will bend or crack any rim. None of them are fool proof.

Stick with the Breytons and keep your eyes peeled for dem holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
My Breyton's are cracked in the exact same way as 'TexasKid' above. Will post pictures later this week... I bought them used... Ordered a new wheel and will keep the old one as a spare...

A word to the wise about these wheels... They look awesome, they're super light weight... but you have to be very careful if you live in an area w/ crappy roads (i.e. myself in NY/NJ area...)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #34
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Damn scott135i, and TexasKid, I'm sorry to hear that! Especially since I ordered the exact same rims from TireRack and they're due in sometime this week.

However, judging by the fact that both Gill and HondaGoneRogue have had no problems, I'm hopeful that this isn't a problem across the board, but also worried because NJ roads are rough at best, asperous at worst..

I'll try to remember and update this thread once I have some experience with my rims.

BTW Gill, give Jim a pat on the back, he's been no less than great with my order thus far

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #35
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Texaskid is full of shit by the way.
      06-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #36
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Texaskid is full of shit by the way.
Agreed, that's for sure. I was hoping this thread was dead and all those silly posts and other threads. Oh, well.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #37
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Threads like this never die, they just hibernate See I just made it go back TTT again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
Agreed, that's for sure. I was hoping this thread was dead and all those silly posts and other threads. Oh, well.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #38
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

That is the problem with buying over the internet; you do not have the local customer support. It is a risk you take and you should know that. You really have to decide especially with heavy items that cost to ship not to mention the down time of your car. And the part about sending in the wheels I agree with. I would bet more people damage a rim by bad roads than have defect warranty issues hence the policy. Don’t take it out on Gill or Tirerack, they did not make up the policy after you had your problem but you failed to read the fine print. One more thing, you get way better service if you stay reasonable. If you loose your temper the Customer Service Rep. will shut down on you and not help you, that is just human nature.

My neighbor had a failure with his hot tub. He found out after he called for repair, the fine print said he was responsible for returning it to the factory. Yes he would have to send the whole hot tub to the factory in CA and pay for shipping both ways. I bet the company does not get many warranty returns.

How about installing the original rims and send the Breytons to Tirerack. It will cost to remount but way cheaper than new wheels which you would have to have tires mounted anyway.

Anyway I hope it all works out for you.
      06-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #39
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I bought them used, so I don't know if they were cracked before I got them. You could only see the crack after the original tire was dismounted. The air pressure was holding the crack together to the point that you couldn't see it while the tire was on. Additionally, I remounted my new tire (because I don't have a spare) until the new wheel comes, AND... its been holding air thus far.

I'll be sure to post pics when the new wheel comes.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Breyton GTS-Rs as a wheel itself. Lightweight wheels tend to be more prone to bending and cracking, but thats the tradeoff you have to be willing to take. Remember, I live in NY/NJ. Many others w/ the wheels live in TX, IN, CA, FL, ect.... where the roads air like driving on air in comparison to roads here. Anyone in NJ/NY feels my pain.

I'd be willing to be the crack is from some impact (likely before I owned them), and not a manufacturer defect, but you never know.

All I can stress is to be careful with these wheels (and all lightweight wheels). But, I even cracked one of my OEM 264 wheels on my previous 1er, so what does that tell you.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #40
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
I agree. That was rather unprofessional on behalf of TireRack.
how is that unprofessional?

And whats the point of taking this out on Tirerack? if there is a problem with the construction of the product, it should be taken up with breyton themselves.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #41
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i aw w/coral red int.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post

a men to that man i live in nj you people think there are bad roads in texas listen we dont have pot holes we have cratersssss
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #42
ILMOSTRO
ilmostro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

No shit. I'm from new york and when it would rain you could see cars and the taxi's accidently drive through a pothole and the front bumper hits the blacktop. That is deep! Swallowed up a whole wheel.

When I was in highschool I was driving my first car (2dr VW Fox) on the freeway and when exiting through a construction zone at about 50 mph I hit a block of concrete about the size of a cinder block but it was solid. It destroyed my right front suspension completely. I couldn't afford to fix it so I sold it for scrap.

Grow up kid from Texas - send um in to be inspected. Not afraid of what they'll find are you?
      08-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #43
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

k i did not read everything because this seems to be going back and forth,

but anyway....could you post the specifications of the tires? like 225/30? or 225/35? or so? just curious

I had an outstanding set of rims and they cracked because I was running 245/30 driving up the coast in California and hit potholes. It was that or swerve off the freeway or slam on brakes and get rear ended. It's a tough call.

The thinner the side wall the bigger the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #44
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I have the exact same problem. Obviously at some point in time I must've hit a decent pothole or something, as there *IS* an impact mark; HOWEVER, I've had several cars with aftermarket wheels (both forged and cast) and never had an issue with them bending or cracking.

At no point in time have I hit something in this car that made me think, "Man, I'd better check that wheel!" In my mind this is enough to question the strength of these wheels. It's great that they're so lightweight for their size, but this is still somewhat disappointing.

Regardless, Gill was helpful in pointing me to someone in customer support that sent my images over to Breyton. I was assuming they'd be replaced, as bending is one thing, but CRACKING is another. I've seen plenty of bent wheels, but it's not often they crack with that bend. Sadly, it seems it's pretty common with these wheels.

In the end, I was given the option to cross-ship the replacement and IF the damage wasn't caused by an impact, I wouldn't be out any cash. That's not the case, so I was offered a discounted replacement with free shipping. I'm much happier with this than eating the entire cost of replacing the wheel, but I can't say that I'm "100% satisfied." Such is life.

To those out there considering these wheels: Don't let this deter you from buying a set, seriously. They *are* fantastic looking, lightweight AND reasonably priced, but do keep in mind that this is a potential issue if any of the wheels experience some sort of impact.
Appreciate 0