BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

synching new TPMS sensors

Im sorry if this has been readily discussed, but I dont have my 135i yet, and I wanted to know what the procedure is for synchronizing new TPMS sensors with our ECUs?

Thanks.
      08-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Im sorry if this has been readily discussed, but I dont have my 135i yet, and I wanted to know what the procedure is for synchronizing new TPMS sensors with our ECUs?

Thanks.
Mine have always done it automatically. Completely seamless.

Ordered wheels from Tire Rack. They shipped the wheels with 4 TPMS sensors. The tire store inserted them when they mounted the tires on the new wheels. When I got home I just swaped out the stock wheels and run flats with the new wheels and tires and drove off. No issue.

At wintertime I put the stock wheels back on with run flat snows (and the BMW OEM TPMS) and drive off. No issue.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

There is a TPMS reset mode on the board computer. Just hit the reset button and drive a few meters. done.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sweet! Now, if only I can order the sensors and theyll fit in my 2002 old wheels! Anybody know what would make the sensors not fit ?
      08-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Mine did it automatically.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Sweet! Now, if only I can order the sensors and theyll fit in my 2002 old wheels! Anybody know what would make the sensors not fit ?
I would not use old wheels like that! You know... metal DOES fatigue and crack. Esp since our cars can generate some serious speeds. I would buy new wheels or some good used wheels - that are fairly new.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would not use old wheels like that! You know... metal DOES fatigue and crack. Esp since our cars can generate some serious speeds. I would buy new wheels or some good used wheels - that are fairly new.
Really? 8 yr old wheels? Im riding on expensive Fikse FM-10s now on my summer setup and ive never heard of folks throwing out wheels like this because of age. But then, you learn something every day, I guess! Now, my winter wheels are nowhere near the quality of the forged Fikses, so perhaps your point does fit those.. but not all wheels Im pretty sure.
      08-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Really? 8 yr old wheels? Im riding on expensive Fikse FM-10s now on my summer setup and ive never heard of folks throwing out wheels like this because of age. But then, you learn something every day, I guess! Now, my winter wheels are nowhere near the quality of the forged Fikses, so perhaps your point does fit those.. but not all wheels Im pretty sure.
Here is what Edmunds has to say about wheels FWIW:

"That's the basics on tires, now we'll move on to wheels. Tires wear out, but wheels don't, so why would you want to change wheels? For many there's no reason to, especially when you look at some of the very attractive wheels that come on many of today's cars as original equipment. The way we see it, why would you bother to change wheels on such cars as a Corvette C6, late-model Mustang GT or Shelby GT500, or the 17-inch or 18-inch sport package wheels that come on the current 3 series BMW?

But, of course, some cars have hokey wheels that need to be turned into flowerpots. As such, one of the two main reasons most people consider a wheel change is simply for looks. A better-looking wheel makes a world of difference on many cars and trucks.

Besides appearance, the plus concept is a key reason to switch wheels. Plus sizing your wheels and tires is the best way to improve both the performance and appearance of your vehicle."

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Here is what Edmunds has to say about wheels FWIW:

"That's the basics on tires, now we'll move on to wheels. Tires wear out, but wheels don't, so why would you want to change wheels? For many there's no reason to, especially when you look at some of the very attractive wheels that come on many of today's cars as original equipment. The way we see it, why would you bother to change wheels on such cars as a Corvette C6, late-model Mustang GT or Shelby GT500, or the 17-inch or 18-inch sport package wheels that come on the current 3 series BMW?

But, of course, some cars have hokey wheels that need to be turned into flowerpots. As such, one of the two main reasons most people consider a wheel change is simply for looks. A better-looking wheel makes a world of difference on many cars and trucks.

Besides appearance, the plus concept is a key reason to switch wheels. Plus sizing your wheels and tires is the best way to improve both the performance and appearance of your vehicle."
Yea, thats kind of what I thought... Besides, if metal fatigues to the point we cant use our wheels after a few years, how do the engines keep on working?! Or the steel girders/beams in buildings, and so on, etc?! Not to mention our suspension components...