BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Car veers right and left when spinning the wheels

08 135i manual, when I turn off the traction control and try to accellerate hard in 1st or 2nd as soon as the tires break loose the car veers right or left severely.

I literally almost crashed when I romped on it in 2nd going straight, the rear went sideways instantly and I almost slapped the car next to me.

Going up freeway onramps in the rain, when I spin the wheels the car lurches right-left-right, and goes anything but straight. It literally changes lanes, and I can barely hang on to the car, going straight.

It is so bad I've stopped hotrodding the car, this condition is really unsafe.

Is this the E-diff? Could it be alignment (the car is properly aligned)?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Is this really a serious post?

The laws of physics are not superceded, even by BMW. It's a powerful, RWD drive car and you have the control devise turned off. What do you expect?

11-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Big1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i

Oh man, this read just made my day lol
      11-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Sleeps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is LBM 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [10.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Oh man, this read just made my day lol
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
I do not have this issue, just a slight tilt to the right like any higher powered rwd car. I think you're just not driving it properly. Over correction perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
You didnt mention which tires you are running?

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
MannyM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2, 2001 Honda S2000

I do notice this slightly more so than other high powered LSD equipped rwd cars I've had including an 06 bmw m6, supercharged z06 vette and a few others..
I would say its not as dramatic as you described and is still controllable to me, but I think the E-Diff may have something to do with it since it does use brake distribution and sends power from side to side to find traction.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

ediff is very slow compared to a mechanical diff which actually locks
      11-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
when I had stock rear wheels my car would slightly veer to the side but it was controllable. With wider non run flats and a LSD, I can get it to break traction but it does so in a straight line.

It was never as extreme as you describe and I dont suggest you turn off the Traction Control and romp on the car in the rain. You may crash.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off ignorant.

I've raced cars, and I have plenty of experience with high performance driving. I plan to autocross my 135, but I'm serious when I say my car literally changes lanes, and is a total handfull when I fully accellerate in 1st and 2nd gears.

Other non LSD cars I've owned would spin one wheel, or if on very even ground would spin both wheels and get slightly sideways, but my 135 becomes a bucking bronco when getting on it.
I was prepared for the back end to break loose, but not to whip out so violently when I almost lost it. It wasn't simply the car getting sideways and I wasn't ready for it. No amount of correction or overcorrection would have stopped that incident, it was instantaneous and violent.

It's not me, or inexperience, something is not right about my car. In comparison, my race car WAS a handfull for good reason, and I was easily able to handle full throttle and getting sideways in it because it was predictable.

The shop that installed my Ohlins R&T suspension mentioned the back of the car didn't feel right but the car hadn't been aligned yet so I attributed what they said to that.

My car has Michelin PSS 245-265 with Apex wheels, Ohlins R&T suspension, Procede tune with DCT's and axle-back exhaust, and has been aligned properly.

It feels almost like a link is broken, almost like rear steering.

I remember reading a thread here about someone else having the same issue, basically changing lanes under hard accelleration, so I know I'm not totally alone.

I was hoping maybe someone knew something, maybe a worn rear link or maybe had a similar behaving car, but in any case I'm glad some at least got some entertainment value from my post.

I'll try and get a video and post it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post

I've raced cars, and I have plenty of experience with high performance driving. I plan to autocross my 135, but I'm serious when I say my car literally changes lanes, and is a total handfull when I fully accellerate in 1st and 2nd gears.

Other non LSD cars I've owned would spin one wheel, or if on very even ground would spin both wheels and get slightly sideways, but my 135 becomes a bucking bronco when getting on it.
I was prepared for the back end to break loose, but not to whip out so violently when I almost lost it. It wasn't simply the car getting sideways and I wasn't ready for it. No amount of correction or overcorrection would have stopped that incident, it was instantaneous and violent.

It's not me, or inexperience, something is not right about my car. In comparison, my race car WAS a handfull for good reason, and I was easily able to handle full throttle and getting sideways in it because it was predictable.

The shop that installed my Ohlins R&T suspension mentioned the back of the car didn't feel right but the car hadn't been aligned yet so I attributed what they said to that.

My car has Michelin PSS 245-265 with Apex wheels, Ohlins R&T suspension, Procede tune with DCT's and axle-back exhaust, and has been aligned properly.

I remember reading a thread here about someone else having the same issue, basically changing lanes under hard accelleration, so I know I'm not totally alone.

I was hoping maybe someone knew something, maybe a worn rear link or maybe had a similar behaving car, but in any case I'm glad some at least got some entertainment value from my post.

Mike - I would look at your rear suspension links. #18 & #19 in this diagram....

Name:  135i rear suspension 284.png
Views: 3886
Size:  20.6 KB

I remember Harold at HPA saying they go bad all the time. He sells the M3 links to increase traction off the line. I bet your are bad/worn out. I think a four wheel alignment wouldn't hurt matters either.

BMW Rear Guide Rod Kit - Better traction and handling
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=traction
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Thanks very much!!! I'll take a look at those links.

When I had the Ohlins R&T shocks, springs, M3 subframe bushings, and new wheels and tires installed, I had the car 4-wheel aligned at a reputable local shop, so it HAS been aligned, but not to say it may have changed since then.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Now that you put it into more relative terms, I have to say I have a similar problem.

My car already has the M3 rear sub-frame bushings, all linkages except the rear lower control arm are already M3 arms and I have a limited slip. But under hard acceleration in a corner with good traction I can feel the rear "squirm" and the car steers in a "funny" way. It doesn't quite cause me to leave my lane, but it certainly makes my car wiggle.

It does feel like something is loose/broken or otherwise allowed to move. Just can't find what it might be.

I do autocross and haven't had any problems during an autocross. But it might just because the corners are different during an autocross and I don't have much time to "pay attention" to the problem.

So if you do find a solution, let me know
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Thanks very much!!! I'll take a look at those links.

When I had the Ohlins R&T shocks, springs, M3 subframe bushings, and new wheels and tires installed, I had the car 4-wheel aligned at a reputable local shop, so it HAS been aligned, but not to say it may have changed since then.
Sometimes you have to have a second alignment done once the new springs settle/sag.

I noticed a few months after I replaced my rear subframe bushings with M3 units... that the rear end felt very squirrelly at high speeds (>135 mph to 170mph). So a four wheel alignment is always a good idea. I'd say do one every year or so.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:

I was critical of your initial post, based on your short post and your initial comments made you sound a bit immature and inexperienced. Based on this subsequent post, I now realize that you are not that at all, and there is considerably more to the story than you first told us.

That is the big trouble with car enthusiast sites, in that posts are often made in a hurry, or without properly thinking out how the initial post will be interpretted by others on here. It is also one of the reasons I am personally getting rather tired of these sites. I wish posters would think about how their post is going to "sound" to others, and phrase their comments accordingly.

Or maybe I'm just getting too old for this to be fun anymore........
      11-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Thanks. After rereading my post, I realized it wasn't worded well, and didn't contain enough pertinent information.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
2totalled2months
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Toyota 4Runner 4x4

I had the same issue with my last 135 m sport, summer tires and 35 degrees, nothing wrong with the car, just keep the stability control on or u may smack into ur neighbors car,,,uh maybe that was me and why it was my last 135 haha. Seriously tho, these cars are much diff then one you may have driven with a normal LSD, not to mention two turbos which have a tendacy to rip wide open when presented with little resistance such as cold road surface. I prefer to keep my nannies on now, sometimes ill turn off traction only, but I do not like the rear on the 135 without stability on, its really unpredictable, without warning it can send u into an almost spin then over correct itself if you keep pushing it. Ive tried this at the air park with plenty of open space and it can be very unpredictable what the rear will do. I know this post makes me sound pretty stupid but I do see what the OP is asking about
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post

The laws of physics are not superceded, even by BMW.

My favorite line from the owners manual.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Thanks for posting!!

My car's going in Monday to have the rear links checked.

I'm not sure if it's the E-diff, or something with the rear suspension, but my car goes anything but straight in 1st and 2nd gear at WOT.

Other cars with open diffs that I've driven would simply light up the lesser loaded rear wheel. My cars with LSD's the rear would break loose predictably and were easily controlled with countersteering, but my 135 literally whips the back end out when the tires break loose (while going straight).

My race car came VERY close to superceding the laws of physics and I could control it even at WOT with both 13" wide Goodyear radial slicks lit up, and it was probably one of THE hardest cars to control in a slide. My 135 scares me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2totalled2months View Post
I had the same issue with my last 135 m sport, summer tires and 35 degrees, nothing wrong with the car, just keep the stability control on or u may smack into ur neighbors car,,,uh maybe that was me and why it was my last 135 haha. Seriously tho, these cars are much diff then one you may have driven with a normal LSD, not to mention two turbos which have a tendacy to rip wide open when presented with little resistance such as cold road surface. I prefer to keep my nannies on now, sometimes ill turn off traction only, but I do not like the rear on the 135 without stability on, its really unpredictable, without warning it can send u into an almost spin then over correct itself if you keep pushing it. Ive tried this at the air park with plenty of open space and it can be very unpredictable what the rear will do. I know this post makes me sound pretty stupid but I do see what the OP is asking about
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Thanks for posting!!

I'm not sure if it's the E-diff, or something with the rear suspension, but my car goes anything but straight in 1st and 2nd gear at WOT.

Other cars with open diffs that I've driven would simply light up the lesser loaded rear wheel. My cars with LSD's the rear would break loose predictably and were easily controlled with countersteering, but my 135 literally whips the back end out when the tires break loose (while going straight).

My race car came VERY close to superceding the laws of physics and I could control it even at WOT with both 13" wide Goodyear radial slicks lit up, and it was probably one of THE hardest cars to control in a slide. My 135 scares me.
Good to hear you are taking her in. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
2totalled2months
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Toyota 4Runner 4x4

Quote:
Thanks for posting!!

Keep us posted about what they say, if anything. I have summer tires on my new one and its freezing here the last few days, rain too, so I haven't had the chance to see if this one does the same thing. My others did tho, mostly controllable, especially in straight line, but the stock ROF tires turn to Vaseline covered tires below 45 degrees
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

The shop said everything checked out perfect. No worn links, alignment all good.

I had the DCI filters cleaned, and Burger oil catch can installed, and it feels like the car has a bit more power (filters were dirty, and I'm told the blow-by affects the octane rating) but maybe that's in my head.

It's raining today, I'm going to find a big, open parking lot, and see if I can't find something that I can identify, or at least describe better about how it behaves.
Appreciate 0