BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Your Real World Thoughts, and Unbiased Opinion: 135i

Hello,

I am considering selling my 300WHP 2011 WRX Limited for one of these when I get back from Afghanistan here next year. I love my car, and as far as power goes, it's pretty comparable. My question is, do you think it's worth it. Not because you have one. I am a fan of modifications, and I have done a tiny bit of research on the matter and these 1's hold up pretty well from what I hear. I am thinking of going with AW, with the M-sport pack. I drove an E46 M3 for a while and I have driven a 125i before as well. What should I expect as a 135i owner? Do most of you lease? So many questions, but I have to go to work now. Thank you for your time.

Pic of the Subaru:

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Not a 135i owner, or a Subaru fan, BUT yours looks real nice, understated and FAST However, the thing that a BMW offers over other brands is ride quality, interior appointments, and quality. The only issue that haunts the 135i is the High Pressure Fuel Pump, so you might need to have it replaced a few times during your ownership, or you may not, it's luck of the draw really. BMW has extended the warranty on the pump to 120,000 miles so it really shouldn't be an issue for you, apart from the hassle of having to either have it towed to the dealership or limping it there. Aside from that one little problem, it's an excellent machine that offers great performance for the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
GO135i007
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Alpine/Coral

The 135i is going to be a cut way above your WRX. I've owned an STi and an Evo IX. This car blows them out of the water. The engine is larger and has more power capability, the interior is not even comparable, and the ride quality is way better. Handling may not be quite as good stock but that can easily be fixed with some aftermarket parts. My car is currently putting down 420whp and it is as quiet as a stock 135i. When I had my Evo, putting down less power, you could here it from 3 blocks away.
      05-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Different ride experience. While the newer sti rides with more comfort than previous generations its a car with a much better connection to the road for better and worse. The 1 will ride much smoother especially if you go with non run flat tires but will roll pitch and dive a lot on stock suspension.

Also coming from the ultimate in traction to a one legged red hi torque car means its not the stoplight to stoplight drag king your car can be.

Interior is nice compared to sti but not fancy or luxury like the other premium makes but this is much cheaper for the performance you get

Obviously much better aftermarket support for the n54. 2010 and earlier cars but the n54 is the future so it will just tkae a little time to catch up.

My car has needed a fuel pump some programming a new stereo new brake lights twice etc. All by 15k. German does not mean super high quality. Good engineering for ride and drive. The best.
      05-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
BimmerJim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
Hello,

I am considering selling my 300WHP 2011 WRX Limited for one of these when I get back from Afghanistan here next year. I love my car, and as far as power goes, it's pretty comparable. My question is, do you think it's worth it. Not because you have one. I am a fan of modifications, and I have done a tiny bit of research on the matter and these 1's hold up pretty well from what I hear. I am thinking of going with AW, with the M-sport pack. I drove an E46 M3 for a while and I have driven a 125i before as well. What should I expect as a 135i owner? Do most of you lease? So many questions, but I have to go to work now. Thank you for your time.

Pic of the Subaru:

Get a 135i you will definitely like it. Since you will be deployed you can go through military sales so your cost will be less than if you wait till you get back from Afghanistan. Take care and be safe so you can enjoy your new 1er!!!!!

"M-the most powerful Letter in the World"!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

First off, thanks for your service to our Country.
My nephew is 1st Cav(Hood) currently in Iraq.

I would advise you to wait till you get home and test drive one. Others opinions differ so much, and asking on a 1 site your going to get 1 positive leaning responses. Do some reading and research when you can there for fun. get home and do some testing. Give em hell and stay safe!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
ShortShiftEnvy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

It really depends how attached you are to AWD. I for one would upgrade from the WRX for the transmission alone. BMW transmissions aren't S2000 smooth, but they come fairly close, and are a blast to row through. The other thing, and your WRX may be different, but I couldn't stand the rattleness of the Impreza line. The fit and finish and touch points of the BMW are spot on in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO135i007 View Post
The 135i is going to be a cut way above your WRX. I've owned an STi and an Evo IX. This car blows them out of the water. The engine is larger and has more power capability, the interior is not even comparable, and the ride quality is way better. Handling may not be quite as good stock but that can easily be fixed with some aftermarket parts. My car is currently putting down 420whp and it is as quiet as a stock 135i. When I had my Evo, putting down less power, you could here it from 3 blocks away.
I was going to be doing a huge build, but I hate the fact that everything is so brittle on these cars. I hear these things can handle a ton of power, and are real peppy down low. Defines my type of power. My car is pretty loud and gets a lot of attention, which I hate. Everything on my car requires a dump tune and I hear the 1 takes kindly to bolting on parts and adding a tune only benefits you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post
Different ride experience. While the newer sti rides with more comfort than previous generations its a car with a much better connection to the road for better and worse. The 1 will ride much smoother especially if you go with non run flat tires but will roll pitch and dive a lot on stock suspension.

Also coming from the ultimate in traction to a one legged red hi torque car means its not the stoplight to stoplight drag king your car can be.

Interior is nice compared to sti but not fancy or luxury like the other premium makes but this is much cheaper for the performance you get

Obviously much better aftermarket support for the n54. 2010 and earlier cars but the n54 is the future so it will just tkae a little time to catch up.

My car has needed a fuel pump some programming a new stereo new brake lights twice etc. All by 15k. German does not mean super high quality. Good engineering for ride and drive. The best.
I know all too well about German cars as I've been around them my while life almost. I used to sell VW/Audi cars and I owned 4 VW. German cars have their quips, but the fun factor outweigh all of it. I had an E46 for a while and it was amazing. As far as dragster goes I've never even launched the car but every car takes some learning and I'm okay with RWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Not a 135i owner, or a Subaru fan, BUT yours looks real nice, understated and FAST However, the thing that a BMW offers over other brands is ride quality, interior appointments, and quality. The only issue that haunts the 135i is the High Pressure Fuel Pump, so you might need to have it replaced a few times during your ownership, or you may not, it's luck of the draw really. BMW has extended the warranty on the pump to 120,000 miles so it really shouldn't be an issue for you, apart from the hassle of having to either have it towed to the dealership or limping it there. Aside from that one little problem, it's an excellent machine that offers great performance for the price.
Thanks for the feedback, and a fuel isn't a huge deal and I'm sure the issues will get better.
I think this car is a lot more "grown up" and refined. I still want power, but I love the grwon looks of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJim View Post
Get a 135i you will definitely like it. Since you will be deployed you can go through military sales so your cost will be less than if you wait till you get back from Afghanistan. Take care and be safe so you can enjoy your new 1er!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
First off, thanks for your service to our Country.
My nephew is 1st Cav(Hood) currently in Iraq.

I would advise you to wait till you get home and test drive one. Others opinions differ so much, and asking on a 1 site your going to get 1 positive leaning responses. Do some reading and research when you can there for fun. get home and do some testing. Give em hell and stay safe!
I've driven the 128i and loved it, and I just wanted to hear from the world how they like their cars and I hope they're not too swayed one way. The guy who had the STi really had a substantive post that was relevant to my transition. I am in the process of selling my car and will have plenty of time to research.

Im in Ft. Hood as well. 1st Cav, 1st Air Cavalry Brigade. I'm and Air Traffic Controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShiftEnvy View Post
It really depends how attached you are to AWD. I for one would upgrade from the WRX for the transmission alone. BMW transmissions aren't S2000 smooth, but they come fairly close, and are a blast to row through. The other thing, and your WRX may be different, but I couldn't stand the rattleness of the Impreza line. The fit and finish and touch points of the BMW are spot on in comparison.
I'm to too attached to AWD, and as I mentioned above I haven't even launched the car. Just slow easy roll offs followes by nice low end acceleration. How do the BMW transmissions fare? I know that the WRX cannot handle much power at all and requires an overhaul when you do decide to go past 300Wheel.

Thanks for all of your posts! Bare with my giant multi-quote.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I some how missed your response in my multi-quote.

So have you bought from the BMW MS program? I am curious about how much better in pricing it really is. I know the benefit is amazing because I can add options without getting a whole package. I did this while I was in Korea when I bought a 2010 Dodge Ram R/T... Yea, I go thru cars like hookers, but it's the nature or the beast. Hopefully this 1 will keep me locked down for a while.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Hello,

Pic of the Subaru:

The WRX Limited is a pretty nice vehicle.
It' great bang for the buck, and there are a fair amount of tuning options as I'm sure you know.
Tuning the N54/N55 gives very nice gains.
BMW tuning has always been more costly compared to the costs for Mits/Suby/Mustang/etc...

Maybe it would be helpful to know what about the WRX you don't like and what you would like to have in your next car?
Then, some of us could answer your questions better.

Selling your relatively new 2011 WRX will result in a much greater loss as the 1st year of any new car gets the biggest depreciation hit.

You asked about leasing.
The overall numbers vary, but last I heard about a couple of years ago, 50% of BMW sales are leases.
If you go through cars like you go through underwear, leasing is an excellent option. As with most things, the answer is, it depends.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:09 AM   #11
BimmerJim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I some how missed your response in my multi-quote.

So have you bought from the BMW MS program? I am curious about how much better in pricing it really is. I know the benefit is amazing because I can add options without getting a whole package. I did this while I was in Korea when I bought a 2010 Dodge Ram R/T... Yea, I go thru cars like hookers, but it's the nature or the beast. Hopefully this 1 will keep me locked down for a while.
Yes I am in Germany and have bought my current 528i and I have a 135i coming in June through Military Sales. On both cars I saved a total of close to $10,000 over what I would have paid at BMW of Austin. I just came from 1ACB where I was the BDE S4 during the last rotation to TAJI. Contact pentagoncarsales.com here in Germany and see what they have to tell you. They are good people and will take good care of you. Good luck and give'em hell WARRIORS!!!!!!

"M-the most powerful Letter in the World"!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
RGM135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i coupe black/black

Thanks for serving.
I went from E46 M3 to 135i because of its size and engine.
Still love the car...only concern being out of town trip with lingering HPFP concerns.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The WRX Limited is a pretty nice vehicle.
It' great bang for the buck, and there are a fair amount of tuning options as I'm sure you know.
Tuning the N54/N55 gives very nice gains.
BMW tuning has always been more costly compared to the costs for Mits/Suby/Mustang/etc...

Maybe it would be helpful to know what about the WRX you don't like and what you would like to have in your next car?
Then, some of us could answer your questions better.

Selling your relatively new 2011 WRX will result in a much greater loss as the 1st year of any new car gets the biggest depreciation hit.

You asked about leasing.
The overall numbers vary, but last I heard about a couple of years ago, 50% of BMW sales are leases.
If you go through cars like you go through underwear, leasing is an excellent option. As with most things, the answer is, it depends.

I have quite a bit of options for my type of car, if you will. I've got the cold weather pkg, bluetooth connectivity and the ability to stream music, leather seats, sun roof, I have the option to hook up sat radio and I wish I would have bought it because I miss Sirius NFL radio. I do wish I had the power seats with memory, and while my interior is nice for my type of car, it's light years away from the fit and finish of 1. The 1 just has everything in a car that I want, like the adult/grown up looks with power. I've always drooled over a 1 series since "Year One" and was going to get one when I was in Korea, but ended up getting a truck instead.. ughh... The over all fit and finish is a big deal, and I know having been in just a 128 vert, it fits the bill.

The thing about selling my car is that they're hardly available, the next model year is going to be atrociously ugly and everyone is going to want a 2011. It was originally 30k and my payoff is just at 24, so if I can at least get that, I'll be good-to-go.. I am sure I can get that no problem as the used market for these cars is really good, and they book so high.

Quote:
Yes I am in Germany and have bought my current 528i and I have a 135i coming in June through Military Sales. On both cars I saved a total of close to $10,000 over what I would have paid at BMW of Austin. I just came from 1ACB where I was the BDE S4 during the last rotation to TAJI. Contact pentagoncarsales.com here in Germany and see what they have to tell you. They are good people and will take good care of you. Good luck and give'em hell WARRIORS!!!!!!
Damn, that sounds awesome and I left my info on their website last night and I received an email with a pricing list etc.. I cannot wait till I get back and pick my 1 up. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of options did you pick on your 135 and about what you ended up paying.

That's crazy that you were in that unit. Small WORLD!! We're all going to Afghanistan here now. Yippie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM135i View Post
Thanks for serving.
I went from E46 M3 to 135i because of its size and engine.
Still love the car...only concern being out of town trip with lingering HPFP concerns.

Well I am hoping that by the time I pick mine up when I get back, those problems might be better addressed, and if they aren't, then I can just hope it doesn't happen to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
imported_Nomad
Rep
Drives:

I owned a "Year One of the One" 135i; it is now gone, and I don't miss it. It was, however, and is a great car, but it will need new tires and upgraded suspension in order to handle. In addition, after the straight out speed, it became boring; it is not as involved a driving experience as the 2011 WRX, my wife owns one. For driving, I'd choose the WRX over the BMW. For comfort and a "more refined and mature feel," I'd choose the BMW.

The throws in the BMW are shorter than the WRX; the WRX really benefits from the SSK. I also think the 2011 WRX is much more civilized and refined than previous generations. It is not as raw and visceral as the first generation (bug eye) WRX's were.

Good luck, enjoy, and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

One of the things that is different about the BMWs I have driven (a Bavarian years ago, my 128i vert now, a 135 at PCD, M3, M5, and M6 at M school) is the Noise, Vibration, and Harshness - sometimes abbreviated NVH. I've been on the highway a few times in my 128i going 65-75 mph in 4th gear. I was messing with the radio or the temperature or something and forgot to shift to 6th. No way would I fail to quickly notice this mistake in other cars I've owned. The NVH is low enough in all the BMWs I've driven that the car doesn't seem strained even when you are approaching redline.

I've also driven my 128i in a couple autocrosses on the Performance Center track. It always idles normally, the engine fan never becomes audible, it just acts like it is loafing. The car is "nice" inside and has little touches like a real locking gas door that I haven't seen elsewhere but this feeling that you can drive fast with the car not really caring is attractive to me.

Low NVH seems like a significant sign of a more luxurious vehicle to me.

Jim
      05-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
bet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Are you looking to buy new or used? What is your Budget? What are you looking for in the car? 4 seats? Handling? Ride? Modification potential? 0-60 rocket? Compromise of all these? How you answer that will really determine whether the 135i is the car for you? For example, if you don't need 4 seats, are looking for handling and are looking to spend $45k, then I would tell you skip the new 135i, and look at used cars...as there are better used vehicles in the same price range IMO (i.e. Cayman S - which from a purely handling/drivers car the Cayman S can't be beat). The the Porsche's after market mods are very expensive and not much performance from a HP perspective is to be had without significant changes like super charger/turbo.

However, if you are looking for something different than the STI and want to modify the vehicle and are looking to spend $30k and want 4 seats, a used 135i could be a great choice. It offers a set up in luxury and fit and finish than the STI and it has a pretty good after market following. You just need to drive and decide. An Audi TT would be interesting also (if you want to keep the awd but want to add some luxury..after market mods can be expensive though).

You want luxury, handling and vert?... how about a Boxster S (same after market comments as with the Cayman). Depending on $$ you want to spend there are lots of choices. Just my $.02
      05-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Considering you have a 2011 it would be a fairly significant financial loss to sell it right now. I would recommend waiting it out at least a year or two. The value of your car already dropped a lot, but it won't drop as much over the next year or two.

Coming from a Subaru and having hanged out with the local Subaru club for the past 5 years I really believe they're great cars.

I would hold out for a bit, wait for either newer 135i models and enjoy your WRX, or wait for the current models to drop in price on the used market.

Last edited by Freon; 05-06-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

@ jimd. I have found my car to.be just the opposite and it's harsh, loud, and I can hear everything. The refinement is just what I'm looking for.

@ bet. I am looking to buy new thru the military sales program and can pick up a 135 with the M pkg, and comfort pkg for about 37. Budget isn't an issue as im dropping 15k on the car.
I need the 4 seats as I have a 6 year old, and I just don't want a 2 seater. This 135 seems to offer all the refinement I want plus the down low power. The beautiful thin about these cars is that they are complete on the outside.

@ freon. I have a few hits on it and I'm not going to lose much as I got a great deal on it and I've almost had it a year. Not to mention the 2012 models look god awful, and I'm willing to take just my payoff for it. I'm even willing to shell out a couple to get rid of it. When you're going through a divorce, you just want to get rid of everything that has to do with her.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

My 135i puts a smile on my face everyday. It's the most fun car I have ever driven.
It's fast, quiet, refined and handles like its on rails. Only negative I can think of is that you will need a second set a wheels with winters if you plan to drive in snow. I do and its no problem with the proper shoes on. It's not as good as AWD tho. If you decide to get it, you wont regret it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #20
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Trust me, in Ft. Hood, TX it snowed this past year a few times and AWD is completely useless with.summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Trust me, in Ft. Hood, TX it snowed this past year a few times and AWD is completely useless with.summer tires.
A big part of making a decision on buying a car is emotion.
It sounds like you have a passion for the 135i.
That's not a bad thing to have.

This is unique automobile compared to what's out there.
It has somewhat odd proportions, but I've never met anyone who thinks it's not cool.
It looks better in person than in pictures.

I've had mine for almost 2 years and I still enjoy it.
Yes, you get used to the power, and once that happens you feel like you do want more of it. This thing has 300/300, and I'm amazed at how used to it I am.

The biggest issue, for me, is the overall handling.
The ride is nice, and it got better after I switched away from the runfart tires. It's not that the handling is bad per se. I've taken some on ramps at high speed and it grips. I even had it go into a controllable 4 wheel slide and it felt very much in control.
It just has an odd "feel" as it doesn't seem to communicate initial turn in very well. It could be the high performance all seasons, and I'm sure that's part of it, but it had this lack of feel even with the summer runcraps.

The suspension has never been harsh, except with the RF's on some bumps. With the non RF's it's always compliant. But, the rebound damping feels too aggressive, almost like it's attempting to compensate for the springs initial softish compression. That's why it feels like initial turn in is soft, or vague. Once set it holds nicely and mid corner bumps are taken well without throwing the chassis.
Still, my E46 325i with sport had a better overall tuning as it always felt like it was tuned for whatever I did on the street on any pavement.

If BMW sorted that, for me it would be just right.
That's about it on the ride and handling.
And as the above poster commented, the overall vehicles ability to absorb and not transmit harshness really gives that much sought after feeling of solidity. I did feel that the newer STI also had this.

The sport seats are excellent and everyone getting one of these cars should know to simply check the box for the sport pkg.
The steering wheel is excellent in feel, and the steering doesn't have any appreciable off center numbness. That's a BMW trait, but you also find that in Audi, and German cars in general.

The interior is truly understated in that it's clean and simple.
Personally, I wouldn't find fault if BMW were to "jazz" it up a bit ala Audi, but overall it's nicely designed, functional, and made with quality materials.
The major disappointment in my experience is that rain/water dumps in through the window if you crack it open beyond 1/4" when it's raining.
That water then gets on the window switches and your arm.
Insignificant to most owners, but it's my pet peeve as I like to drive with the windows cracked even when it's raining.

The rear seating is really not bad at all for such a small exterior car.
I wouldn't want to be back there for longer than about 30 minutes, but I'm larger than the average bear and at 6-1".
Children under the age of 12 should be just fine back there as long as they don't crave wanting to see the road or want big views of what's going on around them. In this size coupe a kid is pretty much in there and the tall seats block the view to the windshield, while the side windows are not too large and they are set in higher position.

I think you know what you want, and I'm fairly certain you've made up your mind. This will be your next automobile.
You won't go wrong with either manual trans or the DCT. Pick what suits your needs.
Let us know what color combo you pick, and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #22
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I am passionate about the 1, and have always wanted one. I remember BMW announced the debut, and I knew I wanted it. It's the epitome of what I want in a car. There is nothing a little modification can't fix, but you sure cannot fix build quality, build materials inside and out, and all the time put into the R&D. There is nothing better than owning a car and not having to worry about changing the outside looks. I'll maybe add wheels, and maybe, just maybe some CF pieces and tint. I hate body kits and I don't care for done nonsense.
Appreciate 0