BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

08-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #23
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

nice mullet in that pic...

I own and use guns frequently...but then again I'm a soldier
      08-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
fourmicah
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozza View Post
So, do you wax or shave? :wink:

And "thank goodness"?! Are you freakin' serious?! Look at what the second amendment has done to your country! The USA is gun toting, trigger happy nation who murders more of its own people than any other country in the modern world! It's high time America got its collective shit together.
We just need stricter laws to ensure that many people don't have access to them. If a person can't own it responsibly and respect the rights of others than they have no reason to have one.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #25
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozza View Post
So, do you wax or shave? :wink:

And "thank goodness"?! Are you freakin' serious?! Look at what the second amendment has done to your country! The USA is gun toting, trigger happy nation who murders more of its own people than any other country in the modern world! It's high time America got its collective shit together.
Thank you cozza for your rectitude. Point well taken. I am sure you are a good person.
      08-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #26
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

As Russell Crowe said in his acceptance speech when he took the Oscar for Gladiator..........."God Bless America, God Defend New Zealand, Thank God for Australia!"

Both Oz and the USA go back a long way - we're both democratic Christian societies that believe in peace, freedom and a fair go for all......now let's go kick the shite out of any other country that disagrees!!

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #27
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

sorry to kick up the dust on this, but that's exactly the sort of thinking that gets you into trouble in the first place. that puritanical christian brand of peace you are espousing may not be agreeable to many other countries in the world.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #28
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
As Russell Crowe said in his acceptance speech when he took the Oscar for Gladiator..........."God Bless America, God Defend New Zealand, Thank God for Australia!"

Both Oz and the USA go back a long way - we're both democratic Christian societies that believe in peace, freedom and a fair go for all......now let's go kick the shite out of any other country that disagrees!!
You can have your imaginary friends and keep 'em, we're meant to be secular...

Religion was all well and good when PEOPLE THOUGHT THE PLANET WAS FLAT.

Woohoo!
+1 to me for making this thread a hotbed of contentious issues!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #29
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Professor you make a good point about the "bell curve" of IQ between the 2 countries. I would hazard a guess the folks on this forum are probably towards the pointier end - judging by the quality of posts. I have seen other forums where people can not string two words together.

I was watching the Jay Leno show the other night and he was interviewing random people at some theme park or something. He asked one lady how many gold medals did the country of Ikea get in the last olympics. It completely stumped her.
      08-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #30
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Professor you make a good point about the "bell curve" of IQ between the 2 countries. I would hazard a guess the folks on this forum are probably towards the pointier end - judging by the quality of posts. I have seen other forums where people can not string two words together.

I was watching the Jay Leno show the other night and he was interviewing random people at some theme park or something. He asked one lady how many gold medals did the country of Ikea get in the last olympics. It completely stumped her.
I think it won one gold, but it's still trying to put it together and there seems to be a part missing.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 10:39 PM   #31
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I think it won one gold, but it's still trying to put it together and there seems to be a part missing.
You win.
      08-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #32
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Good luck trying to understand the gun aspect of US culture from afar. It's part of our independence and self reliance in a society of individuals. Not to worry. For the most part we are a peace loving country. (except for a recent propensity to invade and destroy other countries which we're fixing as fast as we can)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #33
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
You need the special allen key, mate! I've got a lunch box full of them.:biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:57 AM   #34
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

When I went to the states the only guns I saw were in a shooting range ... but they were machine guns
The popular image here of the US being a bunch of gun toting red necks is totally off beam.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 01:32 AM   #35
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
sigh, is right doctor.

having lived in both countries i genuinely feel that the variance of intelligence in the US is higher than here in australia. the average bloke is much smarter here, but our top end is nowhere near as smart and our bottom end is nowhere near as daft.

on a lighter note, read my signature...
Prof, I think you're right there on this one.

Could this difference be due to the irreverant nature of us Aussies, causing us to not take things on face value? I think our sceptical nature has led us to be more inquisitive and less likely to follow ideologies blindly. We prefer to find out for ourselves.

My 2 cents worth....

BTW I used to be into shooting myself, but gave it up years ago (I still have a collection of guns though). As I get older, I find the act of killing for pleasure more and more repugnant.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 02:00 AM   #36
professor
Major
United_States
Rep

d3syd, my analysis of it is that we seem to have a deep-seated dislike for hierarchy, a kneejerk suspicion for presumed reverence and a predilection for requiring a constant proof of substance. on the one hand, this embeds the "fair go" morale and encourages (almost pathologically) a questioning of the social order. on the other, it appears to come at the cost of expecting very little from those at the top of our intellectual phalanx.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #37
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
d3syd, my analysis of it is that we seem to have a deep-seated dislike for hierarchy, a kneejerk suspicion for presumed reverence and a predilection for requiring a constant proof of substance. on the one hand, this embeds the "fair go" morale and encourages (almost pathologically) a questioning of the social order. on the other, it appears to come at the cost of expecting very little from those at the top of our intellectual phalanx.
Agree. Very eloquently put.

Are you a sociology prof, prof?

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 02:36 AM   #38
professor
Major
United_States
Rep

nothing quite so intresting as sociology. i teach business economics. i wanted to do my phd in philosophy and would have proceded to do so if it were not for my dad who promised to beat the snot out of me if i did.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #39
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

What I am amazed with is how many are watching the Aussie forum from around the world. Get onto a hot subject and they all come out of the wood work. Well done Matty.
Oh and buy the way this forum is head and shoulders above any others ( 1addicts the World) with content, maturity, debating skills and entusiasm.
Everyone keep up the great work.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 02:55 AM   #40
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
nothing quite so intresting as sociology. i teach business economics. i wanted to do my phd in philosophy and would have proceded to do so if it were not for my dad who promised to beat the snot out of me if i did.
LOL, I have a similar story. I started uni doing a commerce degree, but unknown to my parents changed course to a science degree after the first year. I graduated with a degree in Zoology. My parents found out on graduation day:eyebulge:

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 03:28 AM   #41
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
....but unknown to my parents changed course to a science degree after the first year. I graduated with a degree in Zoology. My parents found out on graduation day:eyebulge:
Bet they were pissed! Mind you, my olds had absolutely zero interest or involvement in my uni education - I could have done what you did and 21 years after graduating I reckon they'd still be none the wiser!!

My kids are at primary school, private at that and we have to be sooo involved with their homework etc. Bugs me to no end!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #42
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4One View Post
.............................................You are partly correct on the culture part, yes a lot of folks in the US have guns. Our constitution supports it although it is under scrutiny at this modern times. We have evolved from the wild wild west era and has been responsibly successful that we dont shoot each other over petty discussions like humor mongering. Now, considering our history...what problems would it bring to Australia if given the same situation (having the right to bear arms)... do you think it is as peaceful as what we have here in the US?

So nothing is wierd!
This is sad, "Our constitution supports it"! Shouldn't it be "the Constitution allows it"?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 04:02 AM   #43
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ooo might have to come and talk to you, I'm looking to start my MBA after I finish my Grad Dip of Bus. Mgmt.

If I'm going to be yuppie scum I might as well do it right and be the best I can!

Back on topic though, I'm loving the amount of debate my post kicked up.

I'm also very impressed to see that the idea people shouldn't carry firearms is in the majority too.

Make love and drive nice cars, not war baby
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 04:08 AM   #44
professor
Major
United_States
Rep

on a lighter note (2.21 onwards if you are short on time):
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread