BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Anyone going to VIR next weekend?

http://www.imsa.com/races/oak-tree-g...che=1399133887

BMW CCA has a corral there. I'm almost certain I'm going.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

I had planned to make the trip up from GA but work has killed the idea. I am going to the petit lemans as usual and have already registered for the CCA car corral at that event.

I always wanted to visit VIR.

You should come down to road atlanta in October for the 1,000 mile | 10 HR Petit!

Its funny how many people are on these forums talking about horsepower, and suspension mods, whcih cars are faster ect. and yet nobody seems to follow racing at all. I follow the TUSC religiously and as I did the ALMS. Cat get enough of it!

Have a great time man!

GO BMW, Team RLL, and Turner Motorsports!

Since the Continental Tire series is running the 128 and 328 cars will run also!

Last edited by ONDEMAND; 08-18-2014 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Overpar56
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDEMAND View Post
I had planned to make the trip up from GA but work has killed the idea. I am going to the petit lemans as usual and have already registered for the CCA car corral at that event.

I always wanted to visit VIR.

You should come down to road atlanta in October for the 1,000 mile | 10 HR Petit!

Its funny how many people are on these forums talking about horsepower, and suspension mods, whcih cars are faster ect. and yet nobody seems to follow racing at all. I follow the TUSC religiously and as I did the ALMS. Cat get enough of it!

Have a great time man!

GO BMW, Team RLL, and Turner Motorsports!

Since the Continental Tire series is running the 128 and 328 cars will run also!
I've missed Petit the last couple years. Work always seems to get in the way, but this year I have to burn off vacation or lose it, so a couple days for VIR and maybe Petit.

I liked ALMS better. I'm not a fan of the DPs. Big, ugly and NASCAResque. The reason I'm going to VIR is it's a great track and good spectator venue and DPs aren't running. I miss the P1s and P2s running at places like Sebring, MidOhio and Petit.

Here's back in 2010 when Turner came down the back straight

and the aftermath of not making the right turn

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Naoto
warranty denied.
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

i am going, but i will be at the mazda corral
      08-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Overpar56
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
i am going, but i will be at the mazda corral
I have the same dilemma. I could go to either but I figure I'll give the Bimmer crowd a try. The Mazda corrals are usually pretty good with Marlon running the show. I've won a few things during the raffles too. Nice pair of Piloti driving shoes won for 10 bucks.

The Mazda crowd is normally beer-centric. Not sure if the BMW crowd will be chardonnay and brie like the Audi corrals are. I've had a few M5 and 5 series people kind of stick up their nose on my 135. 3 series guys seem OK with the 1er because they know they'd get their ass whoop a lot of the time.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
pdisher
privateer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MB E350 - Bluetec

New England CCA chapter 3 QTR meeting is being held at Turner. Tour and discounted parts....

Gonna be a blast!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post

I liked ALMS better. I'm not a fan of the DPs. Big, ugly and NASCAResque. The reason I'm going to VIR is it's a great track and good spectator venue and DPs aren't running. I miss the P1s and P2s running at places like Sebring, MidOhio and Petit.
Could not have said it better myself. The TUSC is horrible compared to the ALMS. I miss the P1 cars, and sebring should be the first race of the season!!!

The nascar GM esqe approach to the TUSC is tiresome but its the only racing we get! The fact that they would make the P2 cars from ALMS slower through BOP just to keep the tube frame, v8, DP's is blasphemy! The DP's are cool in their own right but should not be in the same class as the now detuned P2's. NASCAR ensures the american manufacturers keep an edge.

You boys enjoy VIR and do try and come down for the Petit!
      08-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
Overpar56
Rep

Sebring should be first, even though Audi usually won The bikini contest was always my favorite part of Saturday afternoon.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #9
Overpar56
Rep

A quick report from VIR. Turner won GTD today. Great folks at Turner. Met them and talked with them in the paddock today. And it doesn't hurt that the Turner Girls are hot.

I won a raffle on Saurday at the BMW CCA corral and hospitality tent to get into,the hot pit during the Comtinental Series race. Spent 35 min or so until the end of the race. Pretty cool.

I won another raffle on Sunday to do a hot lap in a new M3 driven by one of the instructors from the performace driving center in Greenville SC. Besides drifting most of tHe turns, we hit 142 on the back straight. Thea guys are good as we were drifting 3 wide M3s.

Well worth the 1000 mile round trip. IMS actually seems to be trying to improve their product. I spoke to a few IMSA folks and they all seemed to care. Now if they can get the BOP right, then the racing may be even more competitive. What I heard today was the GTLM Z4s were running 7-8 MPH slower on the straights vs the Vipers and Vettes.

Appreciate 0