BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
Jarkarp
Rep
Drives: 135i, 718 S, X5 on order

Tow Hook Cover: How to open

Hi guys, I just bought a Le Mans Blue CPO 2012 135i manual with M Sport. Really awesome car and I am enjoying every second of it. The previous owner didn't run a front plate but I do worry about getting pulled over for not having one since my state requires one. So I got a tow hook license plate kit.

So here comes the stupid question: how exactly do I open the front tow hook cover? I've searched high and low on the internet and couldn't get a clear answer. I tried pushing in the area with the little triangle indicator on the cover and felt that I am already putting in way too much force without it really budging. I had a 328i loaner a little while ago and it was really easy on that car, but I am really afraid of breaking something on this new-to-me car. Any pointers?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
Enovoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i - 15' M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacamania View Post
Hi guys, I just bought a Le Mans Blue CPO 2012 135i manual with M Sport. Really awesome car and I am enjoying every second of it. The previous owner didn't run a front plate but I do worry about getting pulled over for not having one since my state requires one. So I got a tow hook license plate kit.

So here comes the stupid question: how exactly do I open the front tow hook cover? I've searched high and low on the internet and couldn't get a clear answer. I tried pushing in the area with the little triangle indicator on the cover and felt that I am already putting in way too much force without it really budging. I had a 328i loaner a little while ago and it was really easy on that car, but I am really afraid of breaking something on this new-to-me car. Any pointers?
Screw Driver with towels over it works for me.

12' 135i • Build Thread • instagram: Enovoc
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Jarkarp
Rep
Drives: 135i, 718 S, X5 on order

Thank you! I actually just did it by first pushing in the triangle mark on top with my thumb, then use my index/middle finger to pry the bottom half of the cover open.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacamania View Post
I actually just did it by first pushing in the triangle mark on top with my thumb, then use my index/middle finger to pry the bottom half of the cover open.
This is correct.