BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Carbon Fiber Intake & Exhaust

Looking for advice on finding the right intake & exhaust for my 2008 128i 6-speed coupe. This will be the first mods I do on this vehicle, so I want it clean and simple. I used K&N parts on my last car (98 prelude vtec), I loved the performance and maintenance, and ease of install.

Right now I just want a high-flow intake, preferably in Carbon fiber if avail, with the biggest filter I can fit in the available cavity. In addition, I'd like to add the new exhaust (just the muffler section, I don't want to get crazy) with carbon fiber tips. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, my Honda was very easy to work on. I have a great knowledge of the mechanics under my hood, just a bit limited on experience. I am extremely handy, however - and am confident when I do my homework first. Any advice on trying to install this intake myself? The muffler? I really would like to do the mods myself, just so i know exactly what I did, and how the car reacts as it gets accustomed to each mod.

Thank you so much, i look forward to your responses

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
cant go wrong with the BMW performance parts.
      08-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Welcome to the forum, search is your friend and e90post N52 section

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjunglist View Post
Looking for advice on finding the right intake & exhaust for my 2008 128i 6-speed coupe. This will be the first mods I do on this vehicle, so I want it clean and simple. I used K&N parts on my last car (98 prelude vtec), I loved the performance and maintenance, and ease of install.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Intakes do not add much, cheapest option is to cut up your own airbox. Cut out the Charcoal filter at the very least & use a K&N drop in filter.
use the money you save on performance parts for the suspention, like e92 or e93 m3 sway bar or coils/springs

Exhuast you want is Magnaflow or BMW PE for 128i, no carbon tips though

Quote:
Any advice on trying to install this intake myself? The muffler? I really would like to do the mods myself, just so i know exactly what I did, and how the car reacts as it gets accustomed to each mod.
intake yes
exhaust, you will need a lift, exhaust clamp which comes with PE (maybe magnaflow) and time

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Thanks much for the insight. Been shopping a bit online and see some great stuff from Dinan & Magnaflow. It seems K&N doesn't make the intake assembly for the 128 (though of course the cone filter is avail)

So, this is absolutely sick, though is a completely foreign (and a bit intimidating) configuration for me. If I can add +14hp & +16ft-lbs for $1299... it seems that this might be a better buy, adding +12hp & +11ft=lbs for $500. I tend not to like to half-ass things though... and that carbon fiber cold air is really calling my name. Where exactly is air pulled in on this assembly?

Anyone have advice on pros/cons of either of these? What would you recommend? Also, I've seen a simple short-arm intake online somewhere, from the manifold just out to where the cone filter would hang in the cavity where my current stock intake is. Looked great - raw, simple.

Any other advice, suggestions for a specific config?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjunglist View Post
Thanks much for the insight. Been shopping a bit online and see some great stuff from Dinan & Magnaflow. It seems K&N doesn't make the intake assembly for the 128 (though of course the cone filter is avail)
check e90 post for the K&N drop in
The cone filter can be fabbed in the current intake, if u go the cut up route
Quote:
So, this is absolutely sick, though is a completely foreign (and a bit intimidating) configuration for me. If I can add +14hp & +16ft-lbs for $1299... it seems that this might be a better buy, adding +12hp & +11ft=lbs for $500. I tend not to like to half-ass things though... and that carbon fiber cold air is really calling my name. Where exactly is air pulled in on this assembly?
I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel.
Option 1 is for 135i with software tune included(?)
Option 2, we may not even have space, Dinnan for n52 e90 has a side vent intake add on pie to stock airbox for NA n52, but we may have no space. Secondly the closed box air intakes seem to work best for n52. Eg gruppeM carbon (rare), euro box, AFE stage 2, Simota ( spelling?)

If you can fab up a simple $100 air intake solution, please share with us more info.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0