BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Any info on recent "minor changes" eventually delaying 1M production?

Posted in the thread http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
[J]ust had a call from the dealer and it's looking very positive. Although they cannot 100% confirm a build slot until the start of July due to some minor changes to the 1 Series model line that could have an impact on my order?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Basically my dealer has put the request into BMW and then phoned them up. He was told that there was a small part change that may affect the 1M production with slight delays, but BMW were yet to confirm whether it had an impact on the car or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
A dealer has informed me that he doesn't know of any changes to 1M but at the same plant there were issues with X1?
Starting a separate thread regarding this issue.

So, any information yet as to those "minor changes" and its possible impact on the 1M production at the Leipzig plant? I'd like to know, as my 1M is scheduled for production next week (week 25). So far no news of any possible delay from my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'll contact my dealer tomorrow and try to get some more information.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

They couldnt find the right motor mounts to install the new twin turbo v8
      06-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
They couldnt find the right motor mounts to install the new twin turbo v8
Nice one. However, just for the record: BMW M initially experimented with the E46 M3 and E46 M3 CSL engine for the 1M. Unfortunately, there was a weight issue. Would have been a blast though.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424637
"I see cars in the earliest stage but I have other projects to work on that I cannot afford to be distracted as I have many projects not only for cars but I also conceive stuff for BMWTV.de, the German only BMW TV channel which in some cases do not involve cars. With each project now we have started to do Pre-visualisation on the computer because we can show it to the director and production crew and explain this is the angles we want to get the perfect shot.
The time window for this car is extremely tight and originally enthusiasm was not apparent until Dr. Kay Segler came to the M Division.
We had initially toyed with the idea of a 1M when we were conceiving the Coupe and did work with evaluation models then using the engine from the E46 and the upgraded E46 CSL engine but it proved to be too heavy for the car.
Originally in the early days of marketing the standard 135i was originally meant to be an M model.

The 1M that stands before you now has had possibly the most progressive stage from thought-production turnaround for a BMW. There had to be a lot of arm-twisting in the BMW Board because of the tight window between generation 1 and generation 2 of the Coupe. The proposal was greenlit when BMW decided to use the Coupe model for the BMW eDrive evaluation. Therefore slightly extending its life cycle.
When I first saw the car it was in a design studio as a full scale claymodel but since then some designers ideas had to make way for aerodynamics and engineering. The initial engine proposal was the N55 but they were having issues that could not be solved within the time window. BMW greenlit this car in July 09, now over a year later we see it as it intended, although testing still commences until the launch. Valvetronic was the main cause of the time delay but BMW have spent some time on this and are using the N55 as a basis for the next M3.
The best way to describe the engine of the 1M is a "Hybrid" but in the original form of Hybrid, nothing to do with "alternatives", but it is not a straightforward transplant.
There is a lot of this car that will carry over for the next generation 1M in which that car will switch to four cylinders to which the M Division engineers are already working on the basics without time constraints or restrictions. 1M (E82) is showing what is possible in a small timeframe. 1M (F22) will show what is possible once you do not have restrictions."
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok I think my dealer may have had crossed wires with their message back from BMW. We spoke yesterday and what they are waiting for is a confirmation of build date, not a confirmation of my order.

I think the build date itself is being delayed due to volume on their production line, but I don't think it's a question of me not being able to get a car, but rather, when I'll get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

FWIW - the car that is being built before mine, has been stuck in 150 status for a week and a half. My dealer called me to let me know there is a delay in the production line, but no details.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:28 AM   #7
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to update, I've now seen the email from BMW UK to my dealer and it stated:

"Due to September production line updates, we cannot yet process this order."

My dealer did say that he was hopeful to hear back in early July (next week) but can I just ask the forum, do you think this sounds OK? Not to sound paranoid, but to me it seems that I DO have a car, but that they've just not processed the order yet.

What does everything think?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
Whteverjklasdf
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

interesting...
Appreciate 0