BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #23
bluecarbon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i

I don't know where you are in jersey but if you look up Wax It in Allentown PA, they do great work and if your looking at doing a good clear bra they did a great job on my 135 when I live out there
      08-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #24
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
I would recommend using steam to see if you can remove it.

I had the same problem during my ED but not has bad as yours.
I'll take a closer look after re-delivery
How long was the film on your car? Did it actually remove clearcoat or just left a residue?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #25
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Yes I know it temporary, thats why I planned on using it for my ED. I have a roll sitting here next to my desk and now Im considering returning it.

My question was to determine how long the paint had cured before application.
well heres what i know about the car

Prodution date 6/17
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #26
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

sorry to hear man. couple of points; NEVER, I mean NEVER EVER use Goof-Off on your car paint!! that said...i know you were doing what you could. for everyone else...it's a CAR, drive it. typically, you'd want to let the paint cure a month or so before putting something directly on it (esp in extreme conditions; ie heat/sun), and get something reputable like 3M or other protection, when you can. for small dings/rock marks, have your 3M installer use a paint touch-up before applying the paint protection. my installer is AMAZING at doing small things like this. he has the ability to match paint at the shop, and he's so good...you'd never be able to tell it was touched up after the clear bra is put on. i hope everything works out in the end for you!! i feel really bad for ya...i'd feel the same way...probably even a little worse, because i'm so anal on taking care of my $h!t. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
sorry to hear man. couple of points; NEVER, I mean NEVER EVER use Goof-Off on your car paint!! that said...i know you were doing what you could. for everyone else...it's a CAR, drive it. typically, you'd want to let the paint cure a month or so before putting something directly on it (esp in extreme conditions; ie heat/sun), and get something reputable like 3M or other protection, when you can. for small dings/rock marks, have your 3M installer use a paint touch-up before applying the paint protection. my installer is AMAZING at doing small things like this. he has the ability to match paint at the shop, and he's so good...you'd never be able to tell it was touched up after the clear bra is put on. i hope everything works out in the end for you!! i feel really bad for ya...i'd feel the same way...probably even a little worse, because i'm so anal on taking care of my $h!t. good luck!
So anal... me too i dont wanna drive the car its so gorgeous haha but i will see what my man phil says ! hopefully he can resolve it for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #28
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Hard to say for sure, but it looks like some of the clearcoat peeled off.

If that's the case, it will require a repaint.

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope that Griot's comes through for you.

Neil
you have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

It will just need to be polished and it will be good to go. OP, don't freak out, it will come off. It looks like either some adhesive is still there or there was some marring that happened.

Last edited by timsev; 08-12-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
You can use as much Goo gone on your paint as you want. MANY detailers use it to remove adhesive from stickers or stubborn tar spots. I wouldn't let it sit on there for 24 hours a day but it's far from being harmful to paint.

You can also install a clear bra as soon as you get the car. I don't know where people get the idea that paint has to cure anymore. Paint is baked on at the factory. As soon as it's done, it's ready to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #30
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsev View Post

It will just need to be polished and it will be good to go. OP, don't freak out, it will come off. It looks like either some adhesive is still there or there was some marring that happened.
Wow, a little aggressive - huh?

I said it was hard to tell from pix, but --having peeled clear coat off cars before -- the dull areas suggested to me that it may have happened.

FWIW, I just put VentureShield on my 1M and have no qualms about having done so.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #31
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
How long was the film on your car? Did it actually remove clearcoat or just left a residue?
It was on for 4 days. There was only residue from what I saw.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #32
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow, a little aggressive - huh?

I said it was hard to tell from pix, but --having peeled clear coat off cars before -- the dull areas suggested to me that it may have happened.

FWIW, I just put VentureShield on my 1M and have no qualms about having done so.

Neil
You stated that it looked like the clearcoat had been removed and would need a repaint. That's a little aggressive IMO.

You're going to freak the guy out for no reason and there is absolutely no evidence that clear has been removed in those pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #33
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (e90) TiAg

Temporary Paint Protection

Wow -- I am sick for you OP. This experience is precisely why I started the Temporary Paint Protection thread a few weeks ago (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...5#post10214035). I hope the TrakkTape works better. I am trying it out this weekend on the wife's Honda Accord. I do PCD next week and have a very long drive home. I'll report back with photos.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #34
pixelguy
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

That completely sucks. You are doing a big service by warning us. I was going to buy a similar hi-end brand protective wrap like the dealer (so it says) There is not supposed to be any adhesive - just like a food wrap. I'll risk the ride from SC to NC naked.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #35
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n
sorry to hear man. couple of points; NEVER, I mean NEVER EVER use Goof-Off on your car paint!!
You can use as much Goo gone on your paint as you want.

Goof-Off != Goo Gone.

The latter is much milder (i.e. remove residue from adhesives), the former is much stronger (works great for paint transfer from parking lot scrapes).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #36
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Did you drove from Spartanburg to Jersey?

Asking as I also drove from Spartanburg and there was someone who also took the 1M VO and told me that he is putting Griots clear bra.
Sorry to hear about that. I guess it does not work that well in 100F+ temp.

I did not had the clear bra and was feeling bad. I ended up putting blue 3" painters tape on front bumper(trip to home depot). Did not put anything on hood. Came home removed the tape and washed the car. All is OK.

Last edited by LeMansM5; 08-13-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #37
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hard to say for sure, but it looks like some of the clearcoat peeled off.

If that's the case, it will require a repaint.

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope that Griot's comes through for you.

Neil

Yup that's what phil said just a polish I'm all relaxed now I'll be better once it's fixed. Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #38
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansM5 View Post
Did you drove from Spartanburg to Jersey?

Asking as I also drove from Spartanburg and there was someone who also took the 1M VO and told me that he is putting Griots clear bra.
Sorry to hear about that. I guess it does not waork that wekk in 100F temp.

I did not had the clear bra and was feeling bad. I ended up putting blue 3" painters tape on front bumper(trip to home depot). Did not put anything on hood. Came home removed the tape and washed the car. All is OK.
Yes I was there which car did you pick up? It rained on my way up 2 so that may not of assisted in the adhesive.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
Yes I was there which car did you pick up? It rained on my way up 2 so that may not of assisted in the adhesive.
I picked-up VO 1M on Monday. Ray was instructor. Are you M(not naming names on internet)? It rained on my way back too. It was pouring heavily.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #40
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Great to hear hear the issue looks more like a non-issue. I could only image how heart-broken you were.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #41
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Ebay?

As above?
      08-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #42
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
The same exact marks happeneed to one of my friends last year using that product also. He detailed the car to go to O'Fest last year and reduce the time needed to prep for the concour event. It rained on the way there and spent three days on the car. After peeling off the wrap, he had marks all over the hood and side of the car. Sort of looked like a slight image scuffed in the paint, especially at the edges. They still remain after several aggressive buffer attempts. I don't think it matters how old the paint is as his was a 2005 E46 M3. I use a bunch of the Griots products, but this product is just not worth the risk based on my observational experience.