BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm curious as to which A/S tires you're running & how have they coped with snow? (We get so little snow in my area that I'm thinking about foregoing the bi-annual switchover on my E46 and running a good set of A/S tires year round.)
Tom

I have learned that "all-season" should read "suck year 'round".

If you have to be out an about in the snow much at all, I wouldn't recommend it. They're not much better than the summer tires honestly. The warm weather grip isn't as good as the run-flats in their prime, but is much better than they were with 10k miles on them. I'll take a look at the model of the tires later this afternoon. I can't even remember what they are off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

First gear doesn't really pull that much when you are not on it, example gasing it slowly to 6-7krpm. If you want strong acceleration in 1st you have to drop the clutch and then mash it until redline. I don't do this because it's hard on the tranny and I usually wait till second gear before I get on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #25
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep
Drives: 135i

Well the first gear pulls very strong. Take off normally and when the clutch is fully released (so that you don't have to drop it) at around 2k rpm floor it... It will slam you to the seat and you'll be at red line in like no time and shifting in to 2nd gear... But mind you that if you don't have a good traction you will just get a lot of wheel spin or the effect of traction control cutting of the throttle as jeremyc74 wrote. But maybe you should firstly finish your break in procedure and then go WOT
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #26
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_T View Post
But maybe you should firstly finish your break in procedure and then go WOT

This is a good point. Even for those people who don't believe in an easy engine break in period, no one can deny that the clutch needs a little bedding time and several heat cycles when it's brand new.
Appreciate 0