BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Plover
Rep
Drives: 1M

Stock amp replaced

This is a continuation of my "Front speaker replaced" thread. The reason for doing this DIY is the lack of sufficient power for the stock amp to push the Focal speakers. Not being a professional installer, there is a fair chance that the project might fail. I have to make sure that should this happen, reversion to the original condition is allowed. It follows that I have to purchase two items: Technic's harness and a stock cd changer/amplifier holder.

The stock amplifier holder is too small for the JL Audion XD600/6 amp and had to be modified. Rather than using velcro tape to attach the JL amp I bolted it to the modified amp holder instead. If the CD changer is to remain in its original position for easy access I couldn't figure out a different way other than using the modified amp holder to support the CD changer. So, I did it the dumb way which involved drilling, sawing, bending, etc. Really hate those tiny metal particles. (Some 25 years ago, one of these did shoot into my eye while I was observing someone working on metallic stuff. I headed straight to the hospital for treatment.)

The reason for installing the XD600 in the same spot as the stock amp is that hopefully it would provide a better ventilation environment. According to the owner's manual, the "amplifier needs to be installed in a dry, well-ventilated environment......You should also take the time to securely mount the amplifier so that it does not come loose in the event of a collision or a sudden jolt to the vehicle." One way to provide better ventilation is to not to close the rectangular flap for access to the CD changer. In comparison the shallow compartment underneath the floor carpet appears to have less ventilation.

Anyway, the project is now completed. Thanks to Technic's harness, I could easily revert the whole thing to its original condition should I need to part company with the 1M one day. I guess there is no need to comment on the sound quality of the JL audio amp as reviews could be found on the internet. The same goes for the Focal speakers which now provide lots of clarity. No static noise or alternator whine. Here is a review on the amp:

http://www.stereowiseplus.com/2012/0...nnel-full.html

The only worry I have right now is will the amp cause additional parasitic drain to the battery? I did conduct a test with digital multimeter before and after the installation and could observe only a slight difference.

Right now the next logical step is to replace the woofers under the front seats. But as this involves detachment of the stock woofer from its bracket and also the need to purchase spacers for the replacement woofer, I have to think twice. In any case I am not that into bass.

Here are the photos--
Attached Images

Last edited by Plover; 04-17-2013 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: link added
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I have the same amp but I didn't pull out the OEM one so that I can easily reverse things when I sell the car. I recommend Earthquake SWS subs. If wired properly the amp will power off after about 60 seconds so battery drain shouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Plover
Rep

Adam135, thank you for your advice on the Earthquake SWS which is a popular choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

How are the stock underwear woofers coping with the new power? Can they take it? Sound better? Hit harder? Any comments about it would be greatly appreciated. I am going to be doing this mod sometime before summer gets here. Planning on going for the amp first then the 2ohm SWS subs
      04-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBimmer View Post
How are the stock underwear woofers coping with the new power? Can they take it? Sound better? Hit harder? Any comments about it would be greatly appreciated. I am going to be doing this mod sometime before summer gets here. Planning on going for the amp first then the 2ohm SWS subs
They'll be fine. You'll notice an improvement in bass response for sure. Make sure you buy or make a speaker spacer for the subs. The additional volume this provides really makes them sound great. My previous cars had 10-12" subs in the trunk and I'm perfectly happy with the JL amp and SWS subs!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Plover
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBimmer View Post
I agree with Adam135's comments. The stock woofers are not yet blown if that is your concern. They now sound better but definitely not by a substantial margin. If you really enjoy bass, the stock woofers have to be replaced along with the amp. Summer is getting near, so no more delay. The sooner you get it done the earlier you'll enjoy your audio upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quoting another poster

Quote:
The most popular spacers are made by user JtSherri but he's not active on the board anymore

Geemail:
jtsherri

(A-t)

(G-male)

(d0t)

(calm)

sorry, don't want him getting spammed
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

does that mean i can still order them from him using the email?
      04-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Plover
Rep

According to the diagram shown in the following link, it appears that the woofers under the front seats are attached to the enclosures with glue instead of screws. Removal of the woofers therefore might risk damaging the enclosures which are not sold separately by BMW.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...&fg=20&lang=en
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #10
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plover View Post

Here are the photos--
Nice install. Where in the car is the space in the 1st picture located? Is this empty when no premium audio?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
Plover
Rep

Both the amplier and the CD changer are located at the left side of the luggage compartment underneath the trunk trim as shown in the link below:-

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...&fg=65&lang=en

My car has the Hi-fi speaker system.

Last edited by Plover; 04-22-2013 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0