BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I found the engine to be unrefined on the G37s, but that wasn't the bad part. The bad part was the transmission and clutch. Gear changes were sloppy, the shifter vibrates more than any manual I have ever driven and it just feels like it's not making adequate use of the power/tq coming from the engine.

I don't know if it's all the same pieces on the 370z, but even in an infiniti car, it was lackluster and uninspiring.
      01-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #24
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brown135 View Post
I had a 2010 g37 before the 135i. Past 5500 RPM the engine sounds coarse, very harsh. Its just very unrefined compared to the 3.0l twin turbo. And torque? Idk what torque you are experiencing, but there is no decent torque until your RPM is 3500 or above. You might like the engine, but to me its terrible for a luxury car.
I agree. I had a 2009 370Z. I finally got rid of it for same reason. The coarsness is especially bad with a manual transmission.
      01-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
I found the engine to be unrefined on the G37s, but that wasn't the bad part. The bad part was the transmission and clutch. Gear changes were sloppy, the shifter vibrates more than any manual I have ever driven and it just feels like it's not making adequate use of the power/tq coming from the engine.

I don't know if it's all the same pieces on the 370z, but even in an infiniti car, it was lackluster and uninspiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
I agree. I had a 2009 370Z. I finally got rid of it for same reason. The coarsness is especially bad with a manual transmission.
Yupp, I test drove the 370z regular & NISMO and G37s manuals. It's not only the unrefined engine, but also the way the shifters shake like hell past 5500 rpm. It's a rough maneuver to change gears at high rpm, very unpleasant to say the least. BMW manual tranny's have lovers and haters and I personally love the throws.
      01-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
mojo1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

BMW snob??

I'm on my 3rd 135i. Love them, special niche car, power, rear seat, room for golf clubs, decent handling, but not over the top. I'm not familiar with the Z but from my experience if the G37 sedan is the same drive train as the Z, then I would have to suggest the BMW snob factor is reeking some stink from some of these posts. In my wife's G37 sedan (2013 with 800 miles), power is close to the 135i, however more responsive, torque a bit less at the low RPM's but pulls all the way to 8k, unlike the N54 engine, way smoother and you can feel the cams hit, like a high-performance NA engine. I haven't leaned on the sedan in the twisties yet, but so far I've been amaised on how the sedan feels so light on it feet, and shifts from the automatic 7 speed are silken. I'm just calling a spade as a spade. I love BMW, owned over 20 over the years, but to my surprise there's some serious competition out there, although its not cheap! I have to admit, BMW going to 4 cyl is. Not what I would like to see in a 3500 lb car. Probably not my last BMW but frankly I'm not impressed in the new generation 3series.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #27
lovesacdc
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d convertible

The Z cars are fun to drive for the first 20 minutes then the foot well floor and firewall starts heating up due to the crap heat insulation around the cats. Sold mine couldn't use it as a DD. Couldn't live with the constant heat coming into the car. Even the air from the vents were hot due to their position and proximity to the heat source. It was the same on the 350z. Nissan didn't listen to their owners complaints.
      01-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesacdc View Post
The Z cars are fun to drive for the first 20 minutes then the foot well floor and firewall starts heating up due to the crap heat insulation around the cats. Sold mine couldn't use it as a DD. Couldn't live with the constant heat coming into the car. Even the air from the vents were hot due to their position and proximity to the heat source. It was the same on the 350z. Nissan didn't listen to their owners complaints.
This was definitely true with the 350. The 370 (at least in America) does not exhibit anywhere near the same issue, for whatever it's worth. It does have it's share of new problems, however.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #29
Hovsks
Rep
Drives: no car

I briefly considered the Nissan, but yes that shifter does vibrate and overall the car is definitely not refined like a BMW. I did not know about the heat insulation problem. That is certainly a concern.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #30
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post
I'm on my 3rd 135i. Love them, special niche car, power, rear seat, room for golf clubs, decent handling, but not over the top. I'm not familiar with the Z but from my experience if the G37 sedan is the same drive train as the Z, then I would have to suggest the BMW snob factor is reeking some stink from some of these posts. In my wife's G37 sedan (2013 with 800 miles), power is close to the 135i, however more responsive, torque a bit less at the low RPM's but pulls all the way to 8k, unlike the N54 engine, way smoother and you can feel the cams hit, like a high-performance NA engine. I haven't leaned on the sedan in the twisties yet, but so far I've been amaised on how the sedan feels so light on it feet, and shifts from the automatic 7 speed are silken. I'm just calling a spade as a spade. I love BMW, owned over 20 over the years, but to my surprise there's some serious competition out there, although its not cheap! I have to admit, BMW going to 4 cyl is. Not what I would like to see in a 3500 lb car. Probably not my last BMW but frankly I'm not impressed in the new generation 3series.
Snob? Maybe; but the differences noted in the engines is real because they are inherent to the I-6 vrs V6 debate. I-6 (along with V8's & V-12) are naturally balaced and therefore have less NVH than a V-6. I wouldn't doubt that the auto is better matched than the stick in your G-37; in the US autos dominate so I doubt much effort was put to refine the stick.
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #31
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

My brothers twin turbo g35 with head work and a 350z tranny was a beast. 500/500 to the wheels and dusted 911 turbos and corvettes on yhe 5 freeway with 3 ither passengers amd luggage driving up to sf. Massive tires and suspension work with a serious hadouken out the exhaust when running hard. Nothing like a nice backfire. Oh yeah and then this supercharged mustang smoked everyone haha
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
mojo1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
The Nissan VQ engine is a good engine, but it is brash and unrefined compared to a typical BMW engine. That's just how it is... For the price, the 370Z is a very powerful and sexy sports car. Perfect, it is not.

It's not a terrible engine by any means - smooth power curve, very capable, and obviously very responsive because it's NA... just not as elegant. Exhaust and engine note both suck stock. The engines have oil leak problems. Oil cooler isn't up to snuff. The shifter vibrates like it's gonna fall off (on the Z, I'm sure the G is better). Up til a few years ago, the clutch pedal engagement was so horrible even on the Infiniti, I don't think I've ever read a single positive thing about it. Just that by itself ruled out the car for me before I even took notice of anything else. Well, those last two aren't particularly engine problems, but still sorta related. Hey, our engines aren't perfect, either.

Who can argue, though. 350 horses, almost track ready, for 45 grand... well nowadays with 280 horsepower accords and camrys that doesn't sound like a bargain, but for everything else you get, it's still a good deal. Still would rather have a 1er though.

Just how it is according to you. You give no facts, just your opinion, which you are entitled to, however worthless it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #33
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Just how it is according to you. You give no facts, just your opinion, which you are entitled to, however worthless it is.
My experience is backed by weeks of research into both the Z and the G (as well as test drives in these cars and others such as mustangs, caddys, etc) prior to buying my 1 in 2008. Also from countless forum posts on Nissan's own forums complaining of oil leaks and vibrating shifters. These aren't anti-Nissan fanboys, either, these are all Nissan OWNERS that I gathered this from all having the same complaints.

Your "facts" are based on driving your wifey's car for a few miles and making a few pointless observations. Seriously it has less than 800 total, most of which you didn't drive, and you claim to be the know-all expert on it! Responds faster? No shit, sherlock, it's an NA engine versus a turbo. Pulls to 8K? Yeah, that's called the redline. It's 1K more than ours and this is a big deal, why? You can "really feel the cams".. that's some hard science right there. Way better than my "worthless" snob opinion. Oh and this is AFTER I praised several things about the car that I like, then listed the things I didn't (and most people on this earth seem to not like, either).

Then bashing on the 4 cylinder after calling ME a snob? You know BMW makes 4 cylinder race engines than can hit 1400 HP, but you claim a 4 cylinder doesn't belong in a car that heavy based on... what? The I4 makes more power and twist than the engine it replaces, but you still snobbishly look down on it for having 2 fewer cylinders in it. Let's look at Infiniti's equivalent, the G25. A 220 hp, 190 ft-lb V6 engine in a 3600 lb car. Enough said. How's that for irony?

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #34
mojo1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My experience is backed by weeks of research into both the Z and the G (as well as test drives in these cars and others such as mustangs, caddys, etc) prior to buying my 1 in 2008. Also from countless forum posts on Nissan's own forums complaining of oil leaks and vibrating shifters. These aren't anti-Nissan fanboys, either, these are all Nissan OWNERS that I gathered this from all having the same complaints.

Your "facts" are based on driving your wifey's car for a few miles and making a few pointless observations. Seriously it has less than 800 total, most of which you didn't drive, and you claim to be the know-all expert on it! Responds faster? No shit, sherlock, it's an NA engine versus a turbo. Pulls to 8K? Yeah, that's called the redline. It's 1K more than ours and this is a big deal, why? You can "really feel the cams".. that's some hard science right there. Way better than my "worthless" snob opinion. Oh and this is AFTER I praised several things about the car that I like, then listed the things I didn't (and most people on this earth seem to not like, either).

Then bashing on the 4 cylinder after calling ME a snob? You know BMW makes 4 cylinder race engines than can hit 1400 HP, but you claim a 4 cylinder doesn't belong in a car that heavy based on... what? The I4 makes more power and twist than the engine it replaces, but you still snobbishly look down on it for having 2 fewer cylinders in it. Let's look at Infiniti's equivalent, the G25. A 220 hp, 190 ft-lb V6 engine in a 3600 lb car. Enough said. How's that for irony?
You made my point exactly. Indeed Yes in only 25 miles of driving her car I knew your comments were BS. The engine I experienced was responsive, smooth, powerful, and frankly the trany is a gem too! Your full of yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

I have a life....outside of cars....and well....just for the back seat and the trunk....the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #36
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
You made my point exactly. Indeed Yes in only 25 miles of driving her car I knew your comments were BS. The engine I experienced was responsive, smooth, powerful, and frankly the trany is a gem too! Your full of yourself.
Snob? If a Kia drove like the 1 series, I would purchase that and wouldn't give a shit about what anyone thought. I didn't buy a 1'er for the BMW badge, I bought it for the way it drives.

Haha, please go to myg37.com and look at the enormous thread about the issues with the 7-AT.

I drove the g37 for 12,000 miles before i traded it in for a 135i. I put it through it's paces, and I know much more about the car than what you could have accumulated in your 20 mile drive. I really like the G, i think it's a wonderful car for the money. But, there are many things that were unrefined about that car. It still felt very nissan'ish.
      02-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #37
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:

Lol. Destroy him dude!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #38
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Quote:
How the hell can you even make those claims? If you're "pulling all the way to 8k" with 800 miles on the clock, your credibilty is already in question. Personally as a G37S owner (but an 08) that I sold at 40K on the clock, it was a nice car, certaintly had some attributes I liked and others I didn't, but we did own it for a while after I bought my 135i. It may have given the 135 a run for it's money in the long race but would have already lost the short race and would only be playing catch up. 135i with modest mods....G37 didn't hold a candle to it. Stock for stock, the G37S we had handled way better than my 135 (non-sport vert) and even with my current mods, probably would still be a close call. Hoping my future mods improve upon that. 3 series....blah, no thanks!
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #39
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
The engine has been described as coarse by reviewers more experienced than you or anyone else on this thread, including Car and Driver, Edmunds, Motor Trend... I can go on.

The VHR isn't a bad engine, but "smooth" up top isn't in the VQ's dictionary.
Appreciate 0