BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

1er stock wire power handling?

Whats the maximum ampres you could send through the OEM speaker wires? I'm not even sure what gauge they are but I do know 22 gauge can only handle about 100watts maximum over one meter. I'm not really willing to replace all the wiring and will be using the OEM stuff so I want to see what my power ceiling is going to be.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
Whats the maximum ampres you could send through the OEM speaker wires? I'm not even sure what gauge they are but I do know 22 gauge can only handle about 100watts maximum over one meter. I'm not really willing to replace all the wiring and will be using the OEM stuff so I want to see what my power ceiling is going to be.
Enjoy... http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/spe...rassistant.swf
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Good link but it doesn't tell me what the 1er has for wiring nor does it help me evaluate the maximum safe power handling of that wire size. That site only calculates the signal power loss for any given wire size, ohm load, length of run, and power.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good link but it doesn't tell me what the 1er has for wiring nor does it help me evaluate the maximum safe power handling of that wire size. That site only calculates the signal power loss for any given wire size, ohm load, length of run, and power.
Well, that's the river... you need to take a look at your OEM amp connector wires and get yourself the wire gauge measurements there. Then that link will help you out in calculating if the OEM wiring can handle your planned upgrade in power.

If you are upgrading your system anyways, you will have to take a look at those OEM wires anyway...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Well, that's the river... you need to take a look at your OEM amp connector wires and get yourself the wire gauge measurements there. Then that link will help you out in calculating if the OEM wiring can handle your planned upgrade in power.

If you are upgrading your system anyways, you will have to take a look at those OEM wires anyway...
You have been most helpful. I will never ask a question in advance of any project I ever attempt again because you've informed me I can just figure everything out for myself while I'm doing it.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You have been most helpful. I will never ask a question in advance of any project I ever attempt again because you've informed me I can just figure everything out for myself while I'm doing it.
If you just search -it is very simple- you will quickly realize that what you are asking is simply not available. However, what is available is plenty of photos of that OEM amp connector and the OEM amp pin assignments/wire colors, and a very quick look at them will tell you right there the wire gauges of all the OEM speaker wires. With that information and the link provided you can have your answer... and perhaps you can even share those findings with the rest of the forum.

I think that you can do that, unless you want somebody to really do it for you, of course.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
feeshta
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 6MT, Alpine White

It's nearly impossible to overwhelm your speaker wires with a normally functioning amplifier. The AC audio signal simply does not generate enough actual current to make it a concern. You'd have to be well in excess of 1000 watts per wire to even need to think about it.
Appreciate 0