BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #89
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Haven't had one in quite a few years... So I miss it sometimes!
I agree Rich - but the cost over all those years. ugh.

Let alone judging how many hundred cars for CAA....

Still have an unused boston G5 & radiator sitting behind me here in the study... one day..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #90
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOSQ View Post
I agree Rich - but the cost over all those years. ugh.

Let alone judging how many hundred cars for CAA....

Still have an unused boston G5 & radiator sitting behind me here in the study... one day..

Haha, yeah I just remember spending all my money on stereos and having nothing left... Think I was changing parts on a monthly basis.

I still have an Alpine PDX 2.150 in the garage collecting dust.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #91
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Haha, yeah I just remember spending all my money on stereos and having nothing left... Think I was changing parts on a monthly basis.

I still have an Alpine PDX 2.150 in the garage collecting dust.
I was lucky I didnt work in a shop man.

If I did - I'd be changing shit weekly.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #92
splinter1
Rep
Drives: 118d

I also have the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 in my fairly new 118d. The sound is very clean and I am more than happy with the system. I understand the HK system uses a digital amplifier as compared to the Hi Fi speaker system which I believe may be analogue.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #93
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Just called the dealership. The car should be ready to collect this afternoon, so I'm pumped to hear the difference. However, it also means not driving the 320d I've had on loan. Great car and the BMW Individual leather interior is sensational (although I wouldn't have chosen white).
      11-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #94
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
Just called the dealership. The car should be ready to collect this afternoon, so I'm pumped to hear the difference. However, it also means not driving the 320d I've had on loan. Great car and the BMW Individual leather interior is sensational (although I wouldn't have chosen white).
I look forward to hearing your thoughts Craig. I was thoroughly impressed with the 320d as well. I jumped in my loan car without looking at the badge on the trunk and immediately knew it was a diesel but had no idea what model it was because it felt pretty quick, especially on a roll. When I jumped out I was shocked to see it was only a 320d!! The 123d is very impressive too.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #95
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F06 640d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Had a word with Westside BMW today while my car is in for a service. Umm'd and ahh'd a bit but decided to get it installed when they agreed to knock a little off the price. Will update everyone once I get the car back tomorrow afternoon.
Craig, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed as the difference from stock to the kit is night and day. On a few songs in my collection I could swear there's a sub in the car somewhere! There's enough bass to vibrate the interior rear view mirror on the odd song at the right frequency. I hope though that they gave you a decent discount as I got mine new off Ebay for $600 and fitted it myself...considerably cheaper than here! Plus that was a while ago before the exchange rate got better. It wasn't difficult to hook up just removing the hard as nails trim was what caused me the most grief. Regardless how much you paid or how you got it you'll be impressed
      11-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #96
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Well, the new Alpine upgrade is in and I can honestly say it's made a massive difference to the sound in the car. Where there was once no bass, there is now a wall of low end grunt that must be kept on a leash (I had to turn down my settings for the bass as it got too boomy). And the top end is brilliant. I can hear every movement on guitar strings and the high-hats are crystal clear. The whole system just has more punch and makes me want to want find songs to run through it to see what they sound like.

I still have a bit of playing to do to get it exactly as I want it but I'm very happy with the result.
      11-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #97
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
great to hear that the alpine upgrade makes a real difference. im deff considering doing this upgrade.
QSH17Z, are there any DIY instructions on installing it?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #98
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
great to hear that the alpine upgrade makes a real difference. im deff considering doing this upgrade.
Mate, I'm interested too... Group buy?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #99
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
Just do it! I considered (briefly) an aftermarket system but not once I found I could get the kit diy for $600! Although I will confess to being a long time Alpine fanboy Regardless though, for such a small outlay it's incredible! Here's a few links for you re installation and also where I got my kit from:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/27554788/B...ation-Feb-2010

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-Nachrusts...item35ad094f7a

Bear in mind that if you go ahead that the tweeter grills aren't included in the kit as they are different parts dependant on model. For the E82 he quoted around 35 - 40 Euros I think. I didn't bother though as I used my $100 voucher from new to get them locally. But of course it's far cheaper to get them from him if you haven't already got them. Install was very easy once the trims have been removed. Probably would've been easier had I had some tools other than a butter knife, screwdriver and pliers I've dismantled many cars in the past but none as well assembled as the BMW haha! But it's all back together and no new rattles...
      11-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #100
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Ah, forgot to mention that you need to provide whoever you get the kit from your VIN so that you get the correct kit. It changed to plug and play or something in March 2009 or thereabouts. So if your car is built prior to then you may need to splice into some factory wiring...still a pretty easy install though.
      11-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #101
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Well, the new Alpine upgrade is in and I can honestly say it's made a massive difference to the sound in the car. Where there was once no bass, there is now a wall of low end grunt that must be kept on a leash (I had to turn down my settings for the bass as it got too boomy). And the top end is brilliant. I can hear every movement on guitar strings and the high-hats are crystal clear. The whole system just has more punch and makes me want to want find songs to run through it to see what they sound like.

I still have a bit of playing to do to get it exactly as I want it but I'm very happy with the result.
Sounds like money well spent. Look forward to hearing it next time. It's pretty cool that BMW are offering packages like this after the car has been built. Sure they charge a premium, just like the Performance Range but this sound system seems to be right on the money. I think it's also cool that they used Alpine instead of some cheap unknown brand with a BMW sticker slapped over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSH17Z View Post
Just do it! I considered (briefly) an aftermarket system but not once I found I could get the kit diy for $600! Although I will confess to being a long time Alpine fanboy Regardless though, for such a small outlay it's incredible! Here's a few links for you re installation and also where I got my kit from:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/27554788/B...ation-Feb-2010

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-Nachrusts...item35ad094f7a

Bear in mind that if you go ahead that the tweeter grills aren't included in the kit as they are different parts dependant on model. For the E82 he quoted around 35 - 40 Euros I think. I didn't bother though as I used my $100 voucher from new to get them locally. But of course it's far cheaper to get them from him if you haven't already got them. Install was very easy once the trims have been removed. Probably would've been easier had I had some tools other than a butter knife, screwdriver and pliers I've dismantled many cars in the past but none as well assembled as the BMW haha! But it's all back together and no new rattles...
You can get some cheap interior trim kits from ebay. I'm going to pick one up when iCarbon comes through with an interior trim kit for our RHD cars. Sorry to thread jack, I'm going to hit you up for some advice regarding headlights soon. After seeing yours in person I can't stand my stock yellow lights, they look off colour
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #102
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Great info .. thanks for posting

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #103
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

I envy you all and the fact it works.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 05:39 AM   #104
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

To you guys who have installed the Alpine system from BMW... how do you like it?

I remember reading here about someone who had one... he said when he turned on the radio there was a few sec deley until the amp turned on and you got any sound out of (some/not all of) the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #105
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
To you guys who have installed the Alpine system from BMW... how do you like it?

I remember reading here about someone who had one... he said when he turned on the radio there was a few sec deley until the amp turned on and you got any sound out of (some/not all of) the speakers.
LOL. A subtle butt out?

When I had it installed I had a slight delay before all the speakers kicked in. As mentioned, SQ is FAR greater than stock and I didn't mind waiting half a second for it to start up.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #106
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Thanks SBC. I think I could live with that too. Just as long as it wasn't a loud CLICK or POPPING sound.

I think I will go with BMW;s Alpine retrofit amp one day.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #107
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Thanks SBC. I think I could live with that too. Just as long as it wasn't a loud CLICK or POPPING sound.

I think I will go with BMW;s Alpine retrofit amp one day.
Yeah, the start up is fine. Just a bit irritating. The kit itself is decent, it just didn't work on my car so I'm a bit sour-faced about it. That being said, I was told my system is back to stock, however I still have the Alpine door speakers and tweeters installed. Not sure what stock means for BMW, but I see this as a free set of quality speakers and tweeter addition. (I got a full refund for the Alpine kit.) Its just a shame there isn't an amp to give it real punch, but I still have sufficient clarity and quality of sound with enough volume and bass/mid/treble for my needs. I think my system is just the Alpine kit w/out the amp. Everything powered by the head-unit I assume.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #108
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
You can get some cheap interior trim kits from ebay. I'm going to pick one up when iCarbon comes through with an interior trim kit for our RHD cars. Sorry to thread jack, I'm going to hit you up for some advice regarding headlights soon. After seeing yours in person I can't stand my stock yellow lights, they look off colour
Hey Vinnie. I really meant the whole trim as in the door cards and boot trims rather than just the aluminium / carbon fibre trims You know I agree that your corona ring bulbs need to be whiter
      11-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #109
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
$1200 for that amp, two mids, and two highs.....LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #110
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
$1200 for that amp, two mids, and two highs.....LOL
Thanks for your input. As has been well documented, everything BMW and audio is much cheaper in the land of the sinking dollar.