BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Tips on selling the car privately?

Hi Guys

The dealer got back to me today with trade figures that are substantially less than what he first quoted me. Apparently he didn't quote me the wholesale value when I first ask for them.

Anyway, if you guys got any tips on selling cars, that would be great.

Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Advertise in many many venues. Multiple offers will give you some amo. Mock up a formal Bill of Sale stating "as is" condition, no warranty, etc. Get legal oversight if possible. Request customer sign liability waiver for a test drive, go with them and take license copy or info before you leave. Know your local rules and regs for selling privately.

Have buyer approve legal docs before you meet them. They'll know your serious, prepared and less likely to try and screw you.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Just check redbook and remember top private sale prices are for immaculate cars with low kms. Then check current used car adds and decide what you think if fair price to sell and include a little negotiating room.

Polish and clean your car to as new as possible (all dayer) and if you have scratches etc it may be a good idea to ring the touch up guys.

I have used carsales in the past and highly recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
+1 carsales.com.au has been good for me. My friends and family regularly ask me to sell their cars and I've had good success.

My tips would be:
  • Get your car cleaned and detailed
  • take photos after cleaning in a good, attractive location
  • set your price according to the market, do your research
  • figure out what your minimum price is, and dont go below it
  • be prepared to wait. if you've done your homework and set your price correctly it may still take time to sell
  • make your ad read in an appealing way, without sounding like you're spinning things too much
  • pick a target market and word your ad accordingly

This has worked for me in the past. It can be frustrating but provided you're not under any time-pressure you should do well.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Many thanks guys! Just had a look carsales.com.au and it definitely give me a better gauge on where the car should be at. Just a little bit worry about the hassles etc, but for an extra few grand it's definitely worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
MarkFC
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i Coupe MSport Auto

Sparoz

I have had my Calais advertised on Carsales for the last 5 weeks. I think it is priced OK, haven't had one enquiry so far. I should have just taken the $3.50 they would have given me for a trade.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Had good luck with carsales before... before the 'financial crisis' anyway. Had a mini for sale on there for over a month with no enquiries. Had to take a low trade in offer in the end... Good luck with the sale sparoz!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Regardless where you advertise< Car sales or drive.com> its all about luck and timing..

Good luck with the sale..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
dr.bmw
Chirurgeon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i AW/CR

Garage List
2008 125i  [10.00]
www.carpoint.com.au

more popular currently than the rest = more hits
      06-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFC View Post
Sparoz

I have had my Calais advertised on Carsales for the last 5 weeks. I think it is priced OK, haven't had one enquiry so far. I should have just taken the $3.50 they would have given me for a trade.
hmm... could be harder on the Sunshine Coast I guess? Now, I am re thinking...

I am pretty sure I am going to trade in the 318i, but the 120d is in good nick.

Still quite annoyed about what happened still... still wondering should I at least my disappointment, or it's just a regular practice that they get away with...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Didnt the dealer originally quote you the trade on the contract of sale?

And even if he didnt ,I would be sticking it right up him..Demand the original price quoted on the trdae... You are purchasing two cars of this guy...He should be looking after you with the trade in..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Didnt the dealer originally quote you the trade on the contract of sale?

And even if he didnt ,I would be sticking it right up him..Demand the original price quoted on the trdae... You are purchasing two cars of this guy...He should be looking after you with the trade in..
Yes!! and when I asked him to give me the price is, he now said the "wholesale" trade is ... and when I said that's a little bit different for what he told me he said... it was only 1000 difference on one can and 1700 on the other... well.. obviously he quoted me a price that I would have to pay for if I buy my car - or when no discount is applied.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Still $2700 difference in the total sale is a big deal..

Mate, not knowing the full circumstances of the transaction that took place, I would still be there sticking it UP the dealer on his slight of hand, with his choice of words to mislead you in the trade in value..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just sent the dealer principal an email. As I think it might be an individual, either the sales or the sales manager trying to mislead or deceive. They have been known to give good customer service and I can't imagine it is their usual thing as this would have ruin the reputation very quickly. The difference was actually $7000 on one, and $6000 on the other. I am giving the dealership the benefit of the doubt at the moment, until I get a response.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Took me two months to sell my WRX, but sell it I did, and for $8k more than trade offered.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

just cos their cars are all shiny and new doesn't mean they are any different to a used car salesman on parramatta rd. Definately stick it right UP them. they can't do that to you, its illegal to give misgiuded advice to obtain a sale. Tell the dealer you are talking to a lawyer and they will shit themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #17
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.bmw View Post
www.carpoint.com.au

more popular currently than the rest = more hits
This is incorrect. Having worked for Carsales.com for over a year now, I can tell you that in terms of traffic, Carsales is ranked number 1, followed by Drive and then CarPoint. Carsales.com Ltd also owns CarPoint, and the cars listed are duplicated on both sites, yet both have unique audiences. If you list your car on Carsales, it will automatically be listed on CarPoint also.

The best tip I can give you is...

Refresh your advertisement/listing every few weeks. Upload fresh photos, and re-word the information. People take at least 6 weeks to decide on a car, and will revisit the site/s multiple times. Chances are, if you refresh your listing, it may be more appealing the 2nd time around, and the consumer may not even realise that they saw the same car listed a couple of weeks prior.

Good luck!
      06-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Tough time to be selling a car. It took me three months to privately sell my MINI Cooper S - I listed when GFC kicked in late last year. Major annoyance since I had it detailed and then it took up a garage spot for ages with barely a nibble. In the end I took $18.5k which was $4500 less than my starting price, that was based on Redbook and current listings! But you know what? I'm now glad I got that much!
      06-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I feel for you sparoz - but hang in there.
I sold my Liberty GT STi in 4 weeks at the end of April for $31,000 after being offered $19,000 for trade in by my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #20
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT135 View Post
I sold my Liberty GT STi in 4 weeks at the end of April for $31,000 after being offered $19,000 for trade in by my dealer.
Now I just feel ill.

I tried to sell my 2004, 325ci Sport with roof, met paint and 18" factory wheels, ~80,000 Kms, immaculate -- without success, and with very little interest. I tried for about 5 weeks.

I ended up pre-trading it for $31,000 at the end of April to lock in the numbers of the deal in the 135.

To be fair, I got a very good deal on the buy side of the deal, so it probably sounds worse than it really is.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 03:08 AM   #21
Sprey
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Folks, I'm convinced the trade-in offered by a Dealer includes consideration that you've fallen in love with something new. It's never pretty...

What bites twice is when you discover they then advertise your trade for $10K more than what they told you it was worth, and then sell it!

Break-ups are never easy

I'm afraid our 'addiction' doesn't come cheap!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #22
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT135 View Post
Timing is not too bad I guess, just an extra car floating around.. which is annoying. But, that would be better off even if I sell it in 12 weeks - the extra will more than pay for the extra interest.

Thank you guys for all the tips - what I might do is document the process so so we'll just follow the procedure next time..
Appreciate 0