BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #23
Harry135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
Mine looks similar right now.. I live in New England.. The minute I leave the car wash and get home the car will look about the same as when i went to the car wash.. so it's like throwing money out the window when you wash your car during the snow season here ..

I usually look for about a week of no precipitation and dry roads in the winter before I decide to "wash it" .. but even then it's mostly to get the salt and sand off the bottom side.. not a full detail wash.. and if you do it when it's freezing cold:

#1 you'll freeze your ass off just so the car will get dirty 2 days later
#2 icicles will form on your car and it'll be hard to open your doors haha

--mike
So true! It was actually snowing the day I took those pics.

But I have to say your reactions and nagging from my better half I washed it this weekend - AND froze my bleeding ass off in the process......drove to London today - and its filthy again!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #24
Harry135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Interesting Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
I've often found a direct coorelation between how men take care of their cars and how they take care of other matters in their lives.

Typically a guy who keeps a neat and clean car keeps a neat and clean house, is organized, keeps schedules, very logical mindset, etc. I.e. usually a Type A personality.

Whereas I venture that the person who does not clean their car likely carries those same habbits to other areas of their life. Might not have a tiddy clean house. Might not be very organized or scheduled in their life. Might be habitually late to meetings or appointments, etc.

Granted I am not a scientist, but in my dealings with friends and coworkers this theory has proven true countless times.
Interesting....I also have a theory regarding people with a "Type A personality"......best kept to myself I guess...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
joshg120
Private
Rep
Drives: IS350

my thing is i love to have a clean car.. but literally it rains 2-3 days a week here so i put in all this hard week and within 2-3 the car looks like it hasn't been washed in 2 weeks and i dont have a garage to keep her in so i usually wait for a good forecast n then ill decide to wash
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #26
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

I'd love to keep mine spotless all the time, but in Boston during the winter it's just not gonna happen (unless you can take it off the road for the winter, which I'd love to do if I had either a place to store it or another car to drive). I've been trying to keep it off the road and in my driveway as much as possible this winter, I drive my wife's Eurovan as much as I can. What a difference!

Regardless, my car is filthy and there's not a whole lot I can do about it (regardless of my penchant for organization, timeliness and general cleanliness)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #27
Erik219
Statistical Consultancy (Medical / Pharma)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
I've often found a direct coorelation between how men take care of their cars and how they take care of other matters in their lives.

Typically a guy who keeps a neat and clean car keeps a neat and clean house, is organized, keeps schedules, very logical mindset, etc. I.e. usually a Type A personality.

Whereas I venture that the person who does not clean their car likely carries those same habbits to other areas of their life. Might not have a tiddy clean house. Might not be very organized or scheduled in their life. Might be habitually late to meetings or appointments, etc.

Granted I am not a scientist, but in my dealings with friends and coworkers this theory has proven true countless times.
what a load of crap ...
With owning a business, having a wife, 3 children and a 4-floor house, it's impossible to keep up with everything...

-My clients get great 'clean' service
-I'm usually home every evening so I see my wife and kids daily
-My house is impeccable...

The car is the first thing that's left over ... I need to wash it now, I know, but december is always extremely busy for me.
So far for your correlation ...

PS: have you been able to calculate the R-square, and have you checked for multicollinearity? Were the residuals normally distributed (maybe you need to log-transform your dependent variable) and can you exclude heteroscedasticity? Furthermore, I advice you to run partial residual plots on all independent variables to make sure all correlations are linear. If not, include squared error terms or interaction effects...

edit: OK, maybe there is a correlation.... I might just be an outlier...

Last edited by Erik219; 12-09-2009 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: second thought...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #28
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
i wash it once a week.
That is gross, it must stink.....

...oh you mean the car, nevermind
      12-09-2009, 01:32 AM   #29
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
i'm going to post pics after tomorrow's blizzard. right now, my monaco 1er is grey thanks to our week of snow/rain, and tomorrow it will make the full move to white

interior is impeccably clean, however, save for the rubber floor mats (which are doing their jobs).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #30
TheRustler
Speedy McSpeederson
Rep
Drives: A Juiced One

mine gets real dirty in the winter in PA. theres no point in washing it after the first snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #31
TheRustler
Speedy McSpeederson
Rep
Drives: A Juiced One

and my name has been stolen! The Horror! LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #32
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Mine has been sitting in the garage with a flat tyre for the past week. I finally took it out the other day and gave it a really nice clean after a busy 6 weeks or so, the longest it's ever been. I'm looking forward to getting my new rubber from tirerack.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #33
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

regardless of how dirty your car gets, it's a good idea to have it washed regularly to remove contaminents from paint and wheels so they dont dig in.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #34
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Garage List
After a few miles in gravel

After a few miles in snow
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #35
Boogie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Last winter too cold to wash and no time...
Attached Images

12-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #36
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

no more than a weeks dirt.