BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #67
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
you think thats bad? I saw a smartfortwo with

"RANGE ROVER"

across the back. it was actually REALLY funny
Now that IS funny. I once saw one of those late '80's really tall, SUV-looking Toyota Tercel wagons with a Hummer "H4" painted on the rear corner. I laughed for a couple miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #68
snowmirage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I personally dont like the idea. If I bought say a 135i with the M sports pack and it came with some M badging from the factory I dont know that I would bother to remove them though... But I certainly wouldnt add any myself.

I have always thought (when I finally get my BMW) of getting some of my more artistic friends to help me design my own "M" badge. Im sure I come up with some name for my project and maybe design a small logo of my own based on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #69
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Neither have I. The BBS CSL style wheel was also included on the E46 M3 with the competition package, so I doubt that car was trying to be a poser of its CSL sibling. Now, I have seem some people install the same front fascia and duck tail trunk lid of the CSL onto regular E46 M3s, which I suppose could be considered on the poser side. Also, what about the people who may have put those style of wheels on their car before the CSL came out? Did they become posers overnight?
You do know that BBS makes OEM wheels right... ???

Show me these CSL style wheels before CSL style came out... I would love to see it..

Since I am the only one that brought up wheels in this thread, do you know that I am directing it toward the specific cast wheels that are heavy as shit and pretend to look like those wheels that aren't?

MY POINT IS....HYPOCRITES ARE ALL ABOUT IMPRACTICABLE STATEMENTS.....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #70
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
Grandfathered in I suppose?

Bad case of the herpes.... I'm sorry to say.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #71
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmirage View Post
I personally dont like the idea. If I bought say a 135i with the M sports pack and it came with some M badging from the factory I dont know that I would bother to remove them though... But I certainly wouldnt add any myself.

I have always thought (when I finally get my BMW) of getting some of my more artistic friends to help me design my own "M" badge. Im sure I come up with some name for my project and maybe design a small logo of my own based on that.
I hope that you attain your goals and your friends can help to achieve them...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #72
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO135i007 View Post
Just saw a 5 series with an M badge on the back that wasn't an M5 this morning. I just don't understand why you would try to make your car something that it is not.
A 5 series with an ///M badge, is just that, a 5 series with an ///M badge. It isn't anything that it isn't.

Why does one put colors on the roundels?, carbon fiber on the roof?, spoilers on the front and rear?, non stock wheels?, lower the car?, tint the windows?, tint the front and rear lights?, angels eyes? The car never came from the factory that way. But put an striped emblem ///M, on your car and you are cavorting with satan.

I think many do so to see what kind of a response they could get from people posting on car forums.
Attached Images

04-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #73
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
I don't personally have one on my car but is it really any worse than walking around in a Jersey for your favourite Football/Hockey/Sporting team?

"You don't play for that team! How dare you wear that! And getting it with your own name on it? That's just blatant Fraud!!!"

/end false outrage

To each their own... It's just another form of decoration/styling/fashion... No one who cares will be fooled and no one who is fooled will care...

- Harlequin
      04-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #74
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Having a ///M badge on a car that is not part of the BMW ///M lineup is about on par with a person that puts a Nurburgring sticker on a car that has never been on the Nordschleife in their life with their own vehicle.

Now....I am one that DID debadge my car. I just liked the clean back better than the numbers on the trunk. I don't agree with people placing ///M badges if they didn't came with the car (i.e., ///M3, ///M5, ///M coupes) but to each their own. True enthusiasts will be able to tell the difference between what is real and what is not.
      04-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #75
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
Having a ///M badge on a car that is not part of the BMW ///M lineup is about on par with a person that puts a Nurburgring sticker on a car that has never been on the Nordschleife in their life with their own vehicle.

Now....I am one that DID debadge my car. I just liked the clean back better than the numbers on the trunk. I don't agree with people placing ///M badges if they didn't came with the car (i.e., ///M3, ///M5, ///M coupes) but to each their own. True enthusiasts will be able to tell the difference between what is real and what is not.
Well, that is good to hear, because, by golly, I ordered the ///M Sport Package, and there ain't no badges bak thar, so's Ima gona git me one, and slap er on ner, real good. Shine er up real pretty like.
      04-21-2011, 02:14 AM   #76
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
This will upset some people...

I honestly don't see a lot of difference between an ///M Badge and a De-Badge.

Most of the people who debadge say it's for aesthetic reasons - they like the look. Some of them will be secretly overjoyed when someone asks them if it's an M3.

I think that you'll likewise find that most people who whack an ///M badge on are also doing it for aesthetic reasons. Correspondingly there will be a subset of these people who are trying to make others think the car is something it's not...

- Harlequin
      04-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #77
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Well, that is good to hear, because, by golly, I ordered the ///M Sport Package, and there ain't no badges bak thar, so's Ima gona git me one, and slap er on ner, real good. Shine er up real pretty like.
For a second I thought you were gonna do one of those "THE ROCK" impersonations and see you jump up and pump your fist if you smeeeeeeeellllllll what The Rock, is cooking

Anyways, Mine was ordered with the ///M Sport package and yes, it has all the //M badge on the rims, steering, etc. Is it a ///M as in BMW Motorsports, no. Am I happy with my 1er, definetly so. Will I ever place a ///M badge in the back of a car when I know it is NOT a true BMW Motorsports powered car, no.

Just my .02 to the discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

Most of the people who debadge say it's for aesthetic reasons - they like the look. Some of them will be secretly overjoyed when someone asks them if it's an M3.

I think that you'll likewise find that most people who whack an ///M badge on are also doing it for aesthetic reasons. Correspondingly there will be a subset of these people who are trying to make others think the car is something it's not...

- Harlequin
So true.
      04-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #78
PMMM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Vert M Sport

Personally, I think debadging is just a d-baggy as rebadging. Either one makes you nothing more than a wannabe.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #79
soulbro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
For a second I thought you were gonna do one of those "THE ROCK" impersonations and see you jump up and pump your fist if you smeeeeeeeellllllll what The Rock, is cooking
I LOLed. (The Rock is gonna take your little M badge, shine it up reeeeeal nice, dust it off, turn it sideways, and...!)

OK, so, I think the thing is that putting an M badge on the back of a (non-M) car, regardless of one's reasons for doing so, does cause the car's mouth to begin writing checks its ass may be unable to cash. Is that a bad thing? Is the effect as strong as, say, installing a quad exhaust, or a big wing? I wonder. An interesting thing to think about.

I can't see myself doing that, but it's hard to get too riled up about. People can do what they want with their cars. As Elsabor67 said, people who know cars will know what's really going on.

-Will (quad exhausts, OTOH, are sexy as hell...hmmmmmm..... )
      04-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #80
gordongekko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

People that M badge non-M cars should be forced to read the DCT Buyer's Remorse thread in it's entirety.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #81
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

- Harlequin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMMM View Post
Personally, I think debadging is just a d-baggy as rebadging. Either one makes you nothing more than a wannabe.
Really? Are you guys aware that de-badging is an option in Europe from BMW, Audi, Porsche, and pretty much every other European mark? Many Europeans opt for the debadge either because they don't want to advertise and attract unwanted attention, or they prefer the cleaner look.

I haven't de-badged my 135, but I did remove the large 'Subaru' letters off my WRX. I guess that makes me a wanna-be because no one can tell what kind of car it is now.

Last edited by JasonCSU; 04-21-2011 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #82
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

my thought is who cares, at least I dont care about what they do to their cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #83
GO135i007
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Alpine/Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
People that M badge non-M cars should be forced to read the DCT Buyer's Remorse thread in it's entirety.
HAHAHAHA
      04-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #84
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckles McGee View Post
You do know that BBS makes OEM wheels right... ???

Show me these CSL style wheels before CSL style came out... I would love to see it..

Since I am the only one that brought up wheels in this thread, do you know that I am directing it toward the specific cast wheels that are heavy as shit and pretend to look like those wheels that aren't?

MY POINT IS....HYPOCRITES ARE ALL ABOUT IMPRACTICABLE STATEMENTS.....
Yes, I know that BBS supplies OEM wheels which is why I mentioned that they also came on M3's with the competition package. BBS has been selling their CH model wheel for quite some time, and while it is not the exact same wheel on the CSL/comp package, it is very similar in design. No, I didn't realize you were referring to cast replicas like Breytons.
      04-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #85
Prof T
COACH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135 conv, 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
Reading said thread will cause your head to implode and in some cases your left nut will turn green and swell to X3 . You will never feel good about the world again .
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #86
NFIDDY5
I bleed Scarlet and Gray!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckles McGee View Post
Yes really.. Why do people buy CSL/ M3/ M5 or for VW/ Audi's the RS replica wheels? It's for aesthetics and to look like the more expensive offering. To me it is no different then re-badging a car as an ///M, RS, AMG.

However, unlike the badges, which have little to no effect on actual performance, the replica wheels are usually heavy cast wheels that are more prone to imperfections. To me that is far worse, but most of the hypocrites here will never see it that way.
Have to disagree about the weight argument. When I owned my E46 M3, I put 19x8.5 (front) and 19x10 (rear) and they were barely 2 lbs. heavier with fully inflated tires than the OEM M3 19's. And the small amount of weight was totally offset by the fact that I was running much wider tires all around (255's and 295's). I agree that the CSL replicas don't belong on all cars, but that is more personal taste than it is performance oriented.

JIC CROSS || BMS || Agency Power || Falken Tires
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #87
NFIDDY5
I bleed Scarlet and Gray!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMMM View Post
Wow. Please educate us on how removing an ugly ass badge from a car makes someone a wannabe. So should EVERY dealer decal and badge be left on a car too? Or does removing those make people wannabes too?

JIC CROSS || BMS || Agency Power || Falken Tires
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #88
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFIDDY5 View Post
Wow. Please educate us on how removing an ugly ass badge from a car makes someone a wannabe. So should EVERY dealer decal and badge be left on a car too? Or does removing those make people wannabes too?
I'll weigh in on this one.

I happen to agree but only under certain circumstances. I think SOME guys debadge with the intent of keeping from you what is really under the hood. Case in point, seen a lot of 328's get modded up, body kits, dual/quad exhaust conversions, all the works but then debadge because they feel and inadequacy in owning the lowest trim level because it means they didn't spend as much $ on the car as others or its not as fast or whatever. Sure, WE know the difference but 90% of the people on the street dont. I didn't debadge my 328, but i did do shadow emblems though, which i also did on my 135 and would do on an M3 or M5 if I got one, I just like the way it looks. Nothing wrong with taking them off altogether if its because you don't like how it looks but its another thing if you're the kind of person whos doing because you're insecure of what you're driving compared to others.
Appreciate 0