BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
duongma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 135i

Coolant Leaking

Hi Guys,

Just want to know some info and maybe see what I should do...

Car is leaking coolant at a super super fast rate and it seems to be leaking from around the water pump.

Does that mean the water pump has failed or the piping around it may have failed? If the water pump fails I shouldnt be able to have driven it at all right?

It started with a slow leak about 2 weeks ago and I thought the coolant was just low from normal driving as I hadnt checked it in a while Then the leak started to develop faster and now it.

Just wondering what I should do?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
D2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by duongma View Post
Hi Guys,

Just want to know some info and maybe see what I should do...

Car is leaking coolant at a super super fast rate and it seems to be leaking from around the water pump.

Does that mean the water pump has failed or the piping around it may have failed? If the water pump fails I shouldnt be able to have driven it at all right?

It started with a slow leak about 2 weeks ago and I thought the coolant was just low from normal driving as I hadnt checked it in a while Then the leak started to develop faster and now it.

Just wondering what I should do?

Thanks
Get to a mechanic ASAP. Call the mechanic first to ask whether you should drive or have it towed.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

As long as the car doesn't overheat you should be fine to add coolant and drive to the mechanic but just make sure you don't let the coolant get too low otherwise air will get into the coolant system.

But yeah, take it to a mechanic ASAP to have to checked out. The car will generally protect itself against overheating but you still need to be sensible.
      11-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
duongma
Private First Class
Rep

Car wont be driven for 2 weeks whilst I wait for a free slot. The car operates normally just see it leaking near the water pump and the low coolant sign comes up after topping off the top up bottle and driving for 15mins when I had to get the car back home. Hopefully its just the coolant piping
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
AYEDEE
Captain
Australia-Aboriginal
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

Happened to me earlier this year aswell. aparently the Water heater valve went and also the hoses had to be replaced. Lost about 1700 bucks including the labour. New hoses and install cost me 150. Home mechanic had to come back another time to do the hoses cause they began leaking 2 weeks after.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
duongma
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYEDEE View Post
Happened to me earlier this year aswell. aparently the Water heater valve went and also the hoses had to be replaced. Lost about 1700 bucks including the labour. New hoses and install cost me 150. Home mechanic had to come back another time to do the hoses cause they began leaking 2 weeks after.
wow! hope mine doesnt end up like this... did you replace the pump then?
Appreciate 0