BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Is Costco gas as good as Shell or Exxon...etc.

I just joined Costco and the main reason was that it was at least 15 cents a gallon cheaper than most other gas stations in my area. AND it is Top Tier gas.

Is Costco's Top Tier gas as good as Shell's Top Tier or Valero's TT.... etc.
Just sounds strange buying Costco gas that is really good "Top Tier".
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Don't know how one would know. The whole point of Top Tier is a specification for gasoline more stringent than other, government or industry, specifications. If a retailer has met Top Tier, e.g. Costco, then it meets these higher standards. Not aware of other programs testing for a level higher than Top Tier.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
mahlerbeatdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

By me you don't need a Costco membership to get gas
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerbeatdown View Post
You do at my Costco. I need to swipe my Costco membership card first, then use a debit card to purchase. No Visa for some reason.

Currently, Premium is $3.05 a gallon.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
mahlerbeatdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerbeatdown View Post
You do at my Costco. I need to swipe my Costco membership card first, then use your debit card.
That's a bummer. It's much cheaper by me, and available to all, but the line is a mile long everyday all day.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, of course. New Jersey has always been cheaper for gas as long as I can remember. Taxes are assesed differently there. That's nothing new. I have not encountered a line yet at my Costco. I think it has about 8 islands. No issues here. No waiting.

When the gas station 1/4 mile away is charging $3.25 and I'm getting Top Tier for $3.05 I'm fine with that.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Pretty sure the "Top Tier" list is a sham. Don't they just have to pay a fee to get listed?
      06-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
1flaguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

No costco is not as good

I used to buy my guess for years at Costco. However recently I have stopped. My friend works for a fuel company and they worked for BP/Amoco for years now they work for Shell. Costco and other cheaper gas stations have additives and other crap put into their fuel. Have you seen the new Shell commercials for the V Power Nitro+? They're doing a monster campaign with Bmw. Not too many other car manufacturers will put their name next to a brand of fuel. I have now switched to Shell and I do notice a difference in performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
galois
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive; 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
You do at my Costco. I need to swipe my Costco membership card first, then use a debit card to purchase. No Visa for some reason.

Sorry, slight diversion:

The Visa thing is because Costco has an exclusivity agreement with American Express, however it is expiring! It will be replaced with a Citi agreement that IIRC is Visa only.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american...ity-1423746408

(Google 'AmEx-Costco Divorce Shakes Up Card Industry' to avoid paywall)

On the gas side:

I usually fill at Costco for price, but I filled up at a Shell v-power location a few weeks ago and my gas mileage was significantly better (~2-3mpg), however ~35m of my tank was a non-routine trip which was more downhill than normal, so biased/small sample (will be testing again on my next tank).

I had assumed the Shell V-Power branding was simply trying to differentiate a commodity to justify higher price/brand loyalty, but I'm curious enough to give it another go when I know I'll have a normal week of driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I used to think gas was gas (within reason), but I have over time begun to see that Costco gas tends to give me more "bad tanks" than any other quote-unquote top tier gas. When I say this, I mean for my area temperature and humidity is fairly constant week to week, yet when I get a bad tank, idle is rough, boost surges, boost targets drop, and general smoothness is hindered. Nothing close to when I did an emergency fill-up at a Marathon station while on a road trip and chain-misfired up the on ramp, but still noticeably non-ideal. If I get a good tank, it's all a peach.

It makes me wonder if there is a difference in what section of the general supply is purchased, and what additives could potentially affect octane or knock resistance. I'll also note that when I start mixing with ethanol, all the negative symptoms disappear.

All conjecture, which is why I normally avoid making these types of posts in the "What gas is best" threads, yet still.
      06-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #11
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:

At a 15 cent difference, you're saving almost $100/year if you fill up once a week. I only need to fill up every 1.5 - 2 weeks so my margin is smaller. The price difference just doesn't entice me enough to surrender my perception of quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:12 AM   #12
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
^^ +1

There is a reason it's cheaper.

I'm on my phone so I don't have any links handy but I looked into this a couple years ago (assuming that it hasn't changed since...) Basically the gas is lower quality, which is why it's still profitable to sell at a reduced price. Does this matter on a Honda civic/Ford Focus that uses 87 octane? Probably not, with the exception of fuel economy.

Does it matter on your high compression direct injected & turbocharged BMW engine? In my opinion yes. But then again I only use PetroCan 94 octane in my N54...

If you want the performance and gasoline with better additives, you gotta pay to play. As was mentioned above the cost difference isn't huge. I just figured out what the gas would cost me on average a while back and budgeted for it, with a little margin for inflation. I rarely look at gas prices anymore as a result, and I used to stress over those few cents per liter at the pump. It's insignificant in the long run IMO unless you're really into maximizing your dollar value for gas

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #13
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
I used to think gas was gas (within reason), but I have over time begun to see that Costco gas tends to give me more "bad tanks" than any other quote-unquote top tier gas. When I say this, I mean for my area temperature and humidity is fairly constant week to week, yet when I get a bad tank, idle is rough, boost surges, boost targets drop, and general smoothness is hindered. Nothing close to when I did an emergency fill-up at a Marathon station while on a road trip and chain-misfired up the on ramp, but still noticeably non-ideal. If I get a good tank, it's all a peach.

It makes me wonder if there is a difference in what section of the general supply is purchased, and what additives could potentially affect octane or knock resistance. I'll also note that when I start mixing with ethanol, all the negative symptoms disappear.

All conjecture, which is why I normally avoid making these types of posts in the "What gas is best" threads, yet still.
I have only had 3 tanks since I started using Costco gas. My idle is perfect, no surges, no issues. My fuel economy has risen but that is probably due to school being out and less cars on my commute. I have always used a can of Jectron once a month, which I will continue. I don't see any downside here.

As far as Shell teaming up with BMW in an ad campaign. I'm sure some big money changed hands. BMW now says to use shell oil not Castrol. hmmm
Not saying Shell gas is not good. It is. But, I really don't think Costco is as bad as I'm reading here.

Yeah, Costco gas is cheaper. That doesn't mean it is bad gas. I just read an article that Costco was taking a hit on profits because of the way they price their fuel.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #14
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: platinum bronze e92

Everytime I pass by the Costco gas station by me, the line is crazy. and i eman EVERYTIME.

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #15
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJc335 View Post
Everytime I pass by the Costco gas station by me, the line is crazy. and i eman EVERYTIME.
Never a line at the one near me. That's a non issue, never happens. They have 6 islands and I have never had to wait.
Everytime I have gone there, there have been at least 3 islands empty. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #16
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

I always use PetroCan fuel here, as they sell 94 Octane fuel.

But, I have a rewards card that saves me $0.03/L, plus $0.03/L if I pay in store, plus points get me another $0.03/L. Bam, now cheaper than the Costco shit, and I don't have to sit in a line for an hour. The pumps at the Costco near me are usually 8 or 9 cars deep. Guess these people have way too much time on their hands. I have better things to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #17
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

I always use PetroCan fuel here, as they sell 94 Octane fuel.

But, I have a rewards card that saves me $0.03/L, plus $0.03/L if I pay in store, plus points get me another $0.03/L. Bam, now cheaper than the Costco shit, and I don't have to sit in a line for an hour. The pumps at the Costco near me are usually 8 or 9 cars deep. Guess these people have way too much time on their hands. I have better things to do.
You get what you pay for is true. You also pay a membership fee that affords you discounts. Doesn't that factor in?
I guess this discussion could go on forever. If my vehicle shows symptoms of poor fuel than I won't buy it anymore. But I seriously doubt it.
And like I have said on previous post. Never a line a my Costco for gas. You'd have to be an idiot to wait an hour in line to buy gas. lol.

Last edited by PA135i; 06-23-2015 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #18
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafttt View Post
At a 15 cent difference, you're saving almost $100/year if you fill up once a week. I only need to fill up every 1.5 - 2 weeks so my margin is smaller. The price difference just doesn't entice me enough to surrender my perception of quality.
I did the math already for the miles I drive and the cost savings.
$150 - $175 a year.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I did the math already for the miles I drive and the cost savings.
$150 - $175 a year.
And you never fill up anywhere else, like on a roadtrip?

I usually need one tank a fuel a week. If I go away for the weekend, I can use 3 or 4 tanks of fuel away from home. So in reality, most of my fuel is not bought locally. If there were savings going to Costco, that would get cut by about half to three quarters.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #20
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
And you never fill up anywhere else, like on a roadtrip?

I usually need one tank a fuel a week. If I go away for the weekend, I can use 3 or 4 tanks of fuel away from home. So in reality, most of my fuel is not bought locally. If there were savings going to Costco, that would get cut by about half to three quarters.
The only road trips I go on are an hour away or less. So, I would fill up 95% of the time at Costco.
My trips are not road trips. I take planes for trips.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #21
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
^^ +1

There is a reason it's cheaper.

I'm on my phone so I don't have any links handy but I looked into this a couple years ago (assuming that it hasn't changed since...) Basically the gas is lower quality,
How do you know this? Forum threads? The price is lower so it MUST be lower quality? Is there any proof out there to back up this statement?

If the same suit sold for $300 at one store and $200 at another would you still but the same suit for $300 because that store has a better perceived reputation? ie. Shell vs. Costco
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #22
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

The problem with Costco gas, is they buy from a variety of suppliers, whichever is cheapest at the time. So you can not really say if it is good or not, because it changes all the time.
Appreciate 1