BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Athlon12
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

New Member - Black 2009 135i - Already put some work into it

Hello Everyone! I have had the car for about a month now. 6 Speed, black on black, M Sport Package, about 70K miles. Wondering if anyone can help point out a few things that I have questions about.

Here is the front view:

Back view taken from the dealers photos (Is the black badge stock for M Sport?) :

Looks like it has an after market clutch and the previous owner liked stickers Anyone recognize this car by any chance? Just curious if I can get some history on the car.

When I got the car one of the HID's wasn't working. They told me to just get a bulb... well that didn't work. Turns out the ballast went bad. Found out that it was bad after taking everything apart and discovering 1. There was no back cover on the drivers headlight, thus moisture and water were able to get in 2. It was wet in the ballast at the bottom of the headlight days after it's been outside in the rain. Since then, I got a new ballast and the HID's light properly now.
Pic of wet ballast:

This was in the headlight ballast area too, I cleaned it up a little but there is some corrosion on it. Seems to still work, but anyone have an idea what this is?:

Here are some shots with the bumper off. Anyone know if this is an aftermarket IC?

Looks like I have some broken plastic I need to ID and replace:

Some sort of wiring is zip-tied to the bumper support:

Also does anyone know how to determine if the ECU has been flashed? Maybe using Carly or some other app with an OBD2 BT/Wifi reader?

Thanks for looking!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Don't know what to tell you about the ballast, or the zipties (shitty workmanship) but the IC looks to be the CX racing intercooler. Cheap Ebay stuff. Some have made it work, but it's far from plug and play. Best way to know if it's tuned is take it to an Independent shop who specializes in BMW, and have it scanned using a cobb.
      06-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Schalldampfer1
///Mmmmmmm
Rep
Drives: e82 135i/6; e36 M3 2/5

Garage List
1996 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Welcome and congrats! The black badge is not stock. They probably painted it or bought a pre-painted version. Sucks about the ballast. Stupid dealers. "Oh yeah just get a new bulb" They probably didn't even check. Cheapo jerks!

2008 e82 135i Coupe 6 Speed
///M Sport, Sedona Red over Black

1996 e36 ///M3 Coupe 5 Speed
Cosmos Black over Black
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Welome and congrats on the car. Sorry about your problems, but I'm sure with a little TLC you'll be able to get it back into tip top shape in no time. Ask here if you can't find your answers by searching. Good luck!
      06-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Welcome! Sorry I don't have any advice for you, just glad I'm not the newest "noob" here anymore asking questions about newly aquired 135i!
Seriously, I've only been here few days but this forum has been a priceless source of knowledge. People here have been extremely helpful without least bit of attitude.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
Don't know what to tell you about the ballast, or the zipties (shitty workmanship) but the IC looks to be the CX racing intercooler. Cheap Ebay stuff. Some have made it work, but it's far from plug and play. Best way to know if it's tuned is take it to an Independent shop who specializes in BMW, and have it scanned using a cobb.
IDK, I had a CX Racing intercooler on my 2006 FBO A4 and it worked pretty damned well. I live in a hot climate, obviously, so improvement in intake temps was easy to just feel from stock. I was able to fully test it driving to Vegas during a heat wave during which daytime temps were consistently over 100 degrees and then two days in Vegas at 110 degrees. I'd say it performed as well as the far more expensive APR one I put in my A3. You're right about the workmanship, though. We had to "make adjustments" to get mine to fit right on my B7, but luckily the mechanic who was putting it on (a guy I knew well and was toward the end of his mechanical engineering degree at the time) made it fit perfect. It was only the mounting we had slight trouble with...the rest was really easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Nice car!

Looks like either the KL or CX racing FMIC. The wiring that was zip tied is likely the ambient air temp sensor. Once the plastic is trimmed up enough for that intercooler the sensor has to be relocated. Not sure why you have rust on the bumper support there, that and those rods that appear to be poorly welded on. If you want to switch to something more name brand, I'd be happy to take it and the piping off your hands.

First thing on the car to try would be hitting the down buttons (both, left and right of the airbag) on your steering wheel. If your dash display changes, you have a JB4.

Black badge is not stock. That is aftermarket.

Also, maybe it's just me, but it looks like it's been lowered a little. Lets have a shot of the dampers/springs! Also post a picture of the engine bay, I'm betting you have some other goodies in there.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 06-23-2015 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Welcome, sorry for all the problems you are having

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:41 AM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Welcome, Athlon12, to the forums. As I said in the other thread, great to see new people here.

Looks like you've got some work to do, quite sad tbh to see that you didn't buy a totally clean car - that front frame thingy is kinda bent... You sure it was not involved in an accident or something?
      06-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #10
Athlon12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Welcome, Athlon12, to the forums. As I said in the other thread, great to see new people here.

Looks like you've got some work to do, quite sad tbh to see that you didn't buy a totally clean car - that front frame thingy is kinda bent... You sure it was not involved in an accident or something?
I thought it looked funny in the pictures too, but I think it may be straight and the FMIC may be at an angle. The car is jacked up on the drivers side only in the picture. I'll take another picture on the ground tonight as well as the engine bay.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I forgot to mention I also got the headlight cover as well to prevent future moisture from getting in.

The car has a clean carfax report so I'm assuming no real accidents, although you never know if they didn't report the incidents :/

I'll try the two down button thing to check for JB4.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

+1

I was looking to see if anyone posted a comment about the bent bumper frame. It may be the camera angle, but that bumper frame looks bent and perhaps could explain the rust (bent and cracked paint/coating and moisture was able to attach bare metal). A clean carfax report may just mean they didn't report a minor fender bender...

CURRENT: 2013 TSM 335i 6AT | Stock!!...for now |
SOLD: 2010 CR 135i 6MT | 351 WHP 387 WTQ | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Intercooler | BMS DCI | Berk Street Axle Back | N55 Midpipe | BMWP Y-Pipe | Bilstein HD Dampers | BMWP Springs | Whiteline RSFB Inserts | 225/255 RE71R | CDV Delete | CF Diffuser |
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

I think I saw this car at the auction a few times, you buy it in IL?

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
Athlon12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben
I think I saw this car at the auction a few times, you buy it in IL?
Yeah in IL. The dealer told me they bought it at auction.

Anything they advertised at auction I should know about? Thanks.

I checked today and it looks like I have JB4... Exciting. Didn't know what I was doing at first and after playing with it and went for a drive and was confused why my fuel gage was down all the way at E but fluctuated while accelerating.......but the display showed much more till empty..... Turns on I turned on the boost gauge.. Haha

I took some pictures and I will post them later tonight. Suspension looks stock, and I don't think it has other mods, but maybe someone else can spot something I don't see.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
Athlon12
Rep

additional pictures

Here are some additional pictures as requested:

Suspension pic:

JB4:

JB4 boost Gauge setting:

Engine Bay:

Engine Bay Right: