11-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #23
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM3 View Post
Comparing apples and oranges. When there are 225,000 135 produced in 2012, making only 6,309 1M's is limited production. And comparing the value?...what other car in recent history has also seen no depreciation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
Uh, no. Only 740 were sold in the US, 6,309 were manufactured and sold worldwide.

It's just not that rare a car. I love my 1M, but I certainly don't delude myself that it's a highly collectable Porsche 911 R or even a Ferrari Dino.
I'm with NPVP.
Only about 14,000 944S2s were made (944 production eclipsed 1 series coupes). I owned three of them. All had less than 75,000 when they left my ownership. They were not collectibles and appreciated recently only because of the rising tide of 911 values.

A Ferrari Dino was the red hair bastard stepchild Ferrari for decades. As recently as about 2007 they were not much more than nice old cars barely/not even worth the cost of restoration.

Will the 1M value stabilize like a 944S2 (I paid $8500 for a mint 54k mile example in 2005, recently a 35k mile example was advertised for $19500 asking price. Where was the DJIA?), or will it spike like a Dino in forty years? Since the 1M is based off a production car like the 944 was I would go with the first 944S2 and buy it to drive, and value it based on the work recently done/work needed, and not try to figure where it will be in 2050.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
Another reason I think the E30 is hot is because it's simple. Car enthusiasts will always be drawn to cars without a lot of unnecessary features. No blind spot monitoring, navi, etc. I was considering the M2, but then learned of all of its nanny features and figured the 1M would make for a better long term hold. I was really trying to get an E46 competition in black with the sunroof delete but apparently that's pretty hard to do...

It'll be interesting to see how the car market is in ten years when nobody is making manual transmissions. Will that drive up the value even more of true enthusiast vehicles?
The main reason the e30 M3 sells for $$ is that it was the first of the breed, and there are enough BMW nutswingers (compared to classic car collectors) that want to say they have the first. It has little to do with the driving experience since they are bought as weekend car show cruisers and garage queens (I am guilty of that too, see sig)

As for the manual transmission - Be glad you weren't speculating in 1974 or 1976. You would have a garage full of Corvette and Eldorado convertibles.

Last edited by Tommm; 11-09-2016 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #24
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Sure. A used 1M will need maintenance no matter the mileage so if you're OK with that there's no reason not to consider one with 120K. The motor doesn't have a very high mean piston speed or anything that makes it likely to require a rebuild before its time. You can probably get over 200K easy with replacing the usual ancillary bits. Also, you don't (usually) put 120K miles on a car like the 1M when you're out driving it super hard and taking it to track days so those are probably pretty easy miles where the owner was just crusing.
Appreciate 0