BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #23
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HISI808 View Post
Even if they honor the CPO, the CPO warranty is not as inclusive as the regular factory warranty when bought new.
that's really good to know. do you know of a web page that details what is and isn't covered?

I'm starting to lean more and more towards the new one...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #24
HISI808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipwit View Post
that's really good to know. do you know of a web page that details what is and isn't covered?

I'm starting to lean more and more towards the new one...
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Warranty/
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! Time to read....

EDIT: browsed through that, they really don't cover much with the CPO... seems to apply to engine/drivetrain parts mostly, and a handful of other things. but it doesn't cover brakes/pads/wipers/etc. all of which can add up over time. Thanks again for that link!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #26
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Its got about 9k miles on it, and the monthly payments are comparable (bmw select for the newer one, traditional for the 08). My question is which would be a better value? I think the options are nice, but I can live without a few. The nav and msport are really my only 2 requirements.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I appreciate it!
Better value no question is the newer car, however you may have a better upside to modding (whp) with the N54. That said, who knows what's going to be available in a couple of years. I would go with the 2012 N55 even though I love my '08 N54 twin turbo engine with Cobb A/P

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #27
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I say go for the new one. At such low mileage I would actually be rather gun-shy. I mean, it's not like the 135i is exactly a car picked by 80 year olds who only commute in it to church and back once a week. As a result, chances are a car with that few miles on it has had some rough times.

In all likelihood it could well be a review car. You know, the ones that are sent out by BMW to magazines and the like so they can beat on it for a week and write nice articles. They're almost always loaded to the hilt, and they get treated BADLY. Thing is (from a friend who works in the industry) that these cars once they've been put away wet are usually stored for some time. Quite often they're held by a leasing company who basically parks the car with low miles until the lease that BMW took out expires. Then the car gets sold as a low mileage "only driven on weekends" car to some guy who only finds out how badly his car was treated when his head gasket explodes at 60K miles.

I know... pessimist. It's possible it's just a car that was never driven for whatever reason, but I'd be wary. Besides, as others have mentioned the CPO warranty isn't as comprehensive as factory, and wouldn't you rather have the factory warranty along with the covered maintenance? There's also the fact that I think quite a few little items have changed during the life of the car. I know the 2009 I drove felt incredibly different to the 2011 I drove a bit later... the suspension I believe was tweaked and is a different beast altogether.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #28
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep

that was one of my major concerns when i first saw that it had 9200 miles on it. I first thought "track car" but why would someone fully load a track car? then the review car idea kicked in. those were initial red flags to me, but i thought i would give it a consideration because you reallly don't come across 6MT 135i's in my area all too frequently. the bay area has a lot of MT shy people. there are DCT's and AT's EVERYWHERE! I drove the DCT, and it was really nice and fun to drive, but after the 10minute test drive i was bored. I prefer to "row my own gears" and I also think it's far more rewarding when you nail a heel-toe shift than it is flicking a paddle. safer, maybe. but fun, nah.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #29
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
i know that the stage2 for the n55 isn't out yet, but by the time i would want/need it i imagine dinan will have something. You think i can talk the dealer into honoring a cpo warranty if it doesn't come with one? the warranty is really the big issue, and if it doesn't come with one and the dealer won't honor one I think I will have to walk away...
Some BMW dealers seem to like the CPO route others don't. When I was looking for my car I also looked at another 2009 135i that was a CPO car. The dealer I purchased my car from said its policy was not to do a CPO car unless it was close to the factory warranty running out because going through the CPO process costs more and therefore raises the price of the car. If being a CPO car is really important to you you could ask the dealer to certify the car (which would probably cost you more) or just purchase an extended warranty.

Last edited by 1Pirate; 09-12-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #30
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Crayon View Post
I say go for the new one. At such low mileage I would actually be rather gun-shy. I mean, it's not like the 135i is exactly a car picked by 80 year olds who only commute in it to church and back once a week. As a result, chances are a car with that few miles on it has had some rough times.

In all likelihood it could well be a review car. You know, the ones that are sent out by BMW to magazines and the like so they can beat on it for a week and write nice articles. They're almost always loaded to the hilt, and they get treated BADLY. Thing is (from a friend who works in the industry) that these cars once they've been put away wet are usually stored for some time. Quite often they're held by a leasing company who basically parks the car with low miles until the lease that BMW took out expires. Then the car gets sold as a low mileage "only driven on weekends" car to some guy who only finds out how badly his car was treated when his head gasket explodes at 60K miles.

I know... pessimist. It's possible it's just a car that was never driven for whatever reason, but I'd be wary. Besides, as others have mentioned the CPO warranty isn't as comprehensive as factory, and wouldn't you rather have the factory warranty along with the covered maintenance? There's also the fact that I think quite a few little items have changed during the life of the car. I know the 2009 I drove felt incredibly different to the 2011 I drove a bit later... the suspension I believe was tweaked and is a different beast altogether.
All that could be true, but it also could have been owned by someone who used it as a second car or a weekend car. I've had several such cars over the last ten years, none of which had many miles on them when I sold them compared to a daily driven car.
      09-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #31
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep

i guess i will just have to check it out. the lack of warranty is what is really pushing me away. there is one part of the listed options that is just throwing me off, and that's the cold weather package. we don't have cold weather, so i don't know why its there. they claim its a local trade, but no other BMWs in their inventory have that option. hmmm the more that i think about it, the more i steer away from the 08...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #32
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

Having owned both a 2008 & 2012, my vote is for the 2012, hands down.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #33
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

I can't even believe this is a hard decision for you. The 2012 seems pretty well equipped to me. Msport and Nav??? To me, that is pretty well loaded up. How are these minor options.... There are MAJOR options!! What else do you need...bigger speakers.....lumbar support??? Come on....is this a serious question??

What is one reason why you wouldn't get the 2012? You don't like new cars? You don't like warranties? You don't like that new car smell?

Sorry to be cynical, but i just don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #34
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep

why do you say so about the 12?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #35
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
I can't even believe this is a hard decision for you. The 2012 seems pretty well equipped to me. Msport and Nav??? To me, that is pretty well loaded up. What else do you need...bigger speakers.....lumbar support??? Come on....is this a serious question?

What is one reason why you wouldn't get the 2012? You don't like new cars? You don't like warranties? You don't like that new car smell?

Sorry to be cynical, but i just don't get it.
My initial concern was about the value. I've never purchased a new car before, only used so that is my field of experience. I figured I would rely on the knowledge of you fine folks who have been in my shoes before to help me make the decisions!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #36
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Talking

Quote:
My initial concern was about the value. I've never purchased a new car before, only used so that is my field of experience. I figured I would rely on the knowledge of you fine folks who have been in my shoes before to help me make the decisions!
I am glad you asked for advice on this one. I guess sometimes it's more clear when you are looking at the situation from the outside.

PLEASE PLEASE the 2012.....and post pics.....sounds like a kick ass car!!! Sounds like the car I'd get if I was to get one today. NICE!!!!
Let us all know how it goes!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #37
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep

haha I will. I talked to my buddy who is a broker down at Flawless Auto Group in LA and he said i will know tomorrow when i will get a production number! I'm losing sleep in anticipation already, it will be a long 6-8 weeks! He said he's gonna try to get it in priority since they do a lot of business with the local dealerships. (I had the order in the system before i found the 08, hence the question and quick turn around).
Appreciate 0