BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M-Sport Coupé

Garage List
Condensation in headlight housing after AE LED install

I received a pair of BMS angeleye LED upgrades in the mail yesterday. I went straight to installing them.

After installing them I ran the car through the car wash. A few minutes after pulling out of the washer, I received the dreaded Adaptive Headlight Failure error light:

It actually had a different light on at first but I can't remember what it was or what it looked like, but it was something in relation to the headlights.

The error code goes away when driving for about 3-5 minutes at a time but it comes back.

I've left the housing off the back of the headlight while it sits in the sun outside in hopes of drying out the condensation.

Is my headlight trashed or can I just replace the xenon bulb?

If the whole headlight needs to be replaced (I'm out of warranty), I'm just going to sell the good headlight along with the bad one, and buy the Depos.

Is there any way for me to troubleshoot the headlight to see if the housing needs to be replaced or if it's just the bulb without having to waste the $$ on a new bulb?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
I have posted the symbol you are receiving via picture below.

Unfortunately since you have a 135i with Xenons -- you will not be able to just pick up a set of DEPOs since they use Halogen settings. You will more than likely be forced to buy new headlights or used ones from the forum/eBay.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Last edited by Satalite; 03-27-2012 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Unfortunately since you have a 135i with Xenons -- you will not be able to just pick up a set of DEPOs since they use Halogen settings. You will more than likely be forced to buy new headlights or used ones from the forum/eBay.
Are you serious??

There's no way to convert? Or is there a way to just replace the part(s) that are malfunctioning?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistom View Post
Are you serious??

There's no way to convert? Or is there a way to just replace the part(s) that are malfunctioning?
Unfortunately no converting to halogen. You might be able to replace the parts though.

Try to see if your mechanism is working by turning your wheel and seeing if your lights turn with you. If not its the electric motors. Also make sure that no lights are out as it might be a simple bulb out fix.
      03-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Ok I let it dry out and now it's just giving me a bulb out error... Am I in the clear??
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Ugh, the light came back. :'(
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Ugh, the light came back. :'(
Have someone hop in the car and test the "adaptive lights" by moving your steering wheel and see if the headlights move with it.

Also look and see if there are any bulbs out?
      03-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
What do you mean check to see if bulbs are out? I mean the projector light is out but I thought if the moisture fried the adaptive headlight electronics the light would be out anyway right?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
e82m_van
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1m

I'm not too sure how bms angel eye bulbs look like but sometimes if the upgrade comes with the ballast (big chunky thing where you have to attach the bulb to before installing it), people put it in the headlight housing. This restricts the movement of the adaptive headlight and can trigger the warning lamp you see.

Not sure if this is the problem you are having but thought I let you know just in case.
If you already knew about this and it's not the cause of the problem, I'm not too sure myself what's going on..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Not necessarily. Is there anyway to tell if the adaptive housing moves even if the bulb is out? From the given info its hard to tell whats wrong as there could be numerous electrical shorts (bulbs/ballasts/adaptive motors/etc...)

The only downsides of having Xenon lights

Wouldn't hurt to take it in to BMW to have them write it up so you know exactly what you would need then go look elsewhere?
      03-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

can you make sure there is nothing in the way of the Adaptive headlights from moving. I remember someone damaging their headlights because the ballasts were placed somewhere and prevented them from moving.
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Well, now that I'm thinking about it, I guess I'll try taking out the bulb from the left (working) headlight and putting it in the right (malfunctioning) headlight and see if I get it to light up.

Maybe the bulb out error is coming from the right headlight and the adaptive malfunction is coming from the left headlight?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Didnt work.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Sorry about this, but let's see how close I am to what happened.

You installed the AEs, and were able to get the cover back on the drivers side light. However, due to the extremely tight fit on the passengers side, you were unable to get the cover back on the headlight after AE install (or at least not on completely, one bitch clamp down doesn't count for this job). You said screw it, I'll get back to it later, then forgot about it until you went through the car wash.

If this is what happened, or I'm close, your headlight is toast.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
+1 ^^ i had the same problem due to a failed gasket. I went through a high pressure wash and it killed my xenon and adaptive light on the drivers side. I am lucky b/c I am still under warranty and I understand BMW charges a lot of $$$$ for a replacement. I would call Stealth Auto and ask them if you would be able to install Depos and have the car coded for them.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #16
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Sorry about this, but let's see how close I am to what happened.

You installed the AEs, and were able to get the cover back on the drivers side light. However, due to the extremely tight fit on the passengers side, you were unable to get the cover back on the headlight after AE install (or at least not on completely, one bitch clamp down doesn't count for this job). You said screw it, I'll get back to it later, then forgot about it until you went through the car wash.

If this is what happened, or I'm close, your headlight is toast.
Close but I actually got the cover back on, clamped it down, and it still got moisture inside it somehow...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Well, now that I'm thinking about it, I guess I'll try taking out the bulb from the left (working) headlight and putting it in the right (malfunctioning) headlight and see if I get it to light up.

Maybe the bulb out error is coming from the right headlight and the adaptive malfunction is coming from the left headlight?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Before you do that you might wanna do some more research on this(searching here). In the past there have been memebers that have swapped out the bulbs or ballast or FWM(footwell modules) only to blow up the other side of teh system.

The problem is that the headlight isn't just a headlight anymore it also has some circiut boards inside it. Once it gets wet - its toast. (at least from what I have seen posted here). Then it blows the ballast and FWM. I think your bulb is probably ok. And these headlights are not cheap to replace! $1,500 or so.

The best thing to do is put the car back to stock... then take your car into a dealer. IF your car is out if warranty.... contact your insurnace agent and see if headlights are covered. Just tell them you have a crack bc there is water inside of your headlight. MOST insurance policies cover rock damamge for glass under teh comp ins plan. Zero deduct too. Then have a dealer do the repair so you have a two year parts warranty on the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Before you do that you might wanna do some more research on this(searching here). In the past there have been memebers that have swapped out the bulbs or ballast or FWM(footwell modules) only to blow up the other side of teh system.

The problem is that the headlight isn't just a headlight anymore it also has some circiut boards inside it. Once it gets wet - its toast. (at least from what I have seen posted here). Then it blows the ballast and FWM. I think your bulb is probably ok. And these headlights are not cheap to replace! $1,500 or so.

The best thing to do is put the car back to stock... then take your car into a dealer. IF your car is out if warranty.... contact your insurnace agent and see if headlights are covered. Just tell them you have a crack bc there is water inside of your headlight. MOST insurance policies cover rock damamge for glass under teh comp ins plan. Zero deduct too. Then have a dealer do the repair so you have a two year parts warranty on the headlight.
Absolutely excellent advice! I've got an appointment scheduled to have the car looked at next week, I'll see what they have to say. My warranty ran out just like 2 weeks ago. If I can't get them to replace them on a goodwill basis I'll be contacting my insurance company ASAP.

I'm hoping for the best because I damn sure don't want to shell out friggin' $1500 for a mere headlight....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

I'm hoping for the best because I damn sure don't want to shell out friggin' $1500 for a mere headlight....
I think your car will need not only a headlight but also a ballast and FWM as well. Plus coding for the new FWM. I bet that will make it more than a $2K repair! For just ONE side. GL.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think your car will need not only a headlight but also a ballast and FWM as well. Plus coding for the new FWM. I bet that will make it more than a $2K repair! For just ONE side. GL.
That's fucking highway robbery. What kind of shit is that man? $2,000 for a freaking headlight?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

Quote:
That's fucking highway robbery. What kind of shit is that man? $2,000 for a freaking headlight?

Just go to RealOEM.com and add up the parts needed...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=UC93&mospid=52062&btnr=63_1006& hg=63&fg=05

AHL Xenon = $863
Xenon bulb = $212
Ballast ecu = $450
FWM (not coded!) = 147

that is $1672 in parts only. Then pay your dealer at least $120 per hour to R&R the bumper and headlights and throw in a few hours for coding the FMW. Its easy to see how it gets so expensive.

This is why I have said before its not worth it to me to mess around with some $30 brighter and different temp AE bulbs.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
There shouldn't be an issue with getting a used one off of eBay is there?
Appreciate 0